• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Merchant Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

Here is a photo of a rebuilt merchant Navy at Victoria with the up Night Ferry on 29/12/1957, but which loco is it? The missing right hand arm of the nameplate will hopefully provide a clue to identification for the experts.

Night Ferry at Victoria 29 Dec 1957.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
the photo is on flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/19156112621

The accompanying text says "The date is 29th December 1957 and the time 09.40. "

A later poster said "You don't see many photos of Merchant Navy's on the Night ferry. Stewarts Lane used to provide the loco for this train, and they only had 3 allocated there between 1956 & 1959. 35014 Nederland Line was the only one of those 3 that was rebuilt at the date of this photo. (I remember during 1959 35015 Rotterdam Lloyd was a regular on this and theGolden Arrow)"

Not definitive, but possibly indicative

Lucan

Established Member
I wonder if the Duke of Windsor was on board. I believe he often used that service.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It appears that he (and the Duchess) did come back to England from time to time, but they never lived here again. It seems that the last time they visited was in 1968 for the funeral of Princess Marina; they are, though, both buried in the Royal Burial Ground behind the Royal Mausoleum of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert at Frogmore.
(My thanks to Mr. W Pedia for this advice!)

Czesziafan

There are numerous accounts in railway literature of the Duke being a regular passenger on the Night Ferry, though always in a strictly private capacity with no official duties or engagements. According to George Behrend he would invariably return to France on the same day as he had arrived in London, using the evening down Ferry. Behrend also refers (in Grand European Expresses) to an incident in the late fifties or early sixties when the Duke's Paris-bound sleeping car was derailed on the Dunkerque tramroad and he, with the other passengers, was obliged to move into some ordinary carriages. The French apparently held the Duke in high esteem and a Wagons Lits inspector was always aboard the Night Ferry whenever he travelled on it

Status
Not open for further replies.