• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which of UG/OG line is the most unreliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

Most unreliable in terms of amount of minor and severe delays and closures due to the failure on somewhere on the line? Note this excludes the closure due to weekend engineering.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joshcoupe

Hi, it has to be the Sub-Surface railway (circle, district, hammersmith & city, met) - everyday there are failures of some type of the main circle loop. Also when closed at the weekend all of them have to close because they share track. Out of these I would say the circle - simply because it is no longer a circle, there is more room for delay.

Josh

ushawk

Established Member
Was the jubilee but there hasnt really been any big problems recently. Circle/Hammersmith & City/Met get delays daily, Vic is every other day too.

Metrailway

The Met line and Circle + H&C lines always seems to be near the bottom (if not actually the bottom) of the list whenever I look.

According to this article a 1/4 of LUL refunds last year were for the Met.

LUL stations do display a small poster (usually by the ticket office) which listed % timetabled km operated for each line during a particular time frame. I found this pdf from the TfL site which ranks lines for various performance measures. In Period 10 (11/12/11 - 07/01/12) the Circle + H&C line was the worst followed by the Met at 95.9% and 96.8% of scheduled km operated.

Clip

Established Member
The vic line has been plagued by delays the last few days. Always a signal failure.

Clip

Established Member
I couldnt say - im not on it for very long - only 1 stop most days :)

tsr

Established Member
They still having trouble with sensitive edge?

From my experience as a frequent passenger... not particularly so. There are occasionally problems. Most major issues now appear to be due to signalling faults, but there have been some nasty train failures in the Kings Cross/Euston areas, which could sometimes be extreme cases of sensitive edges failing, I suppose.

Autumn last year seemed to be bad enough for sensitive edge systems. It seemed like every departure had to have an added special announcement along the lines of "Please keep everything clear of the doors or we will not be able to move away from the platform - thank you"!

DavyCrocket

The Circle line is more reliable now than in the past

I would say least reliable is the Jubilee as well as it being the least resilient to running with any problems that another line could cope with.
It's also the only one now to have a Reliability Director!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Depends on how long a period you want to look at. Over the past 12 months it would appear the Jubilee has had the most non-planned problems. Roll on August.

Tubeboy

Indeed, the Jubilee has George McInulty as a reliability director......is this another case of jobs being created for the sake of being created??? Maybe a different thread.

As someone who works on the Jubilee, it is a lot more reliable nowadays. Sure, we still have failures here and there, but they are getting less and less. I am convinced however that during the Olympics, there will be a high profile train breakdown/tunnel evac at some point. Maybe I am being negative. Like I said the Jubilee breaks here and there, but boy are they proper failures!! Such a busy line and a bit of delay and troubl soon flares up quickly.

As for the other lines, yep the Circle I would say, so much at the mercy of other lines whose track it shares. The Vic can be awkward, usually infrastructure failures around Brixton.

The Northern has improved immeasurably in recent years. Signal failures and faulty trains are much rarer these days.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Reading the monthly digests in Underground News, the Jubilee does seem to have become a less regular feature. I certainly haven't read about a whole line suspension for awhile. It doesn't exactly instil confidence when there are still issues being reported with train and signalling communication - I just hope it's really not going to let LU down during the Olympics.

SS4

Established Member
I could see the Central line failing which would be catastrophic (although it could be argued any line failing will be!). It'll certainly be under a lot of stress during the Olympics:

• Rush hour into the City
  • Connections to Liverpool Street and in turn connections to the sub-surface lines and in turn to KGX, STP, PAD, EUS and even MYB at a push
  • West End traffic

Back on topic from what I've seen and read I'd be inclined to believe either the Jubilee or the Circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.