• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which station appears in this article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Mayen

Moderator note: Split from

Which station is pictured in the BBC News report?

1700152176701.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Which station is pictured in the BBC News report?

Regret I can't post the actual picture.
A Google search suggests Aspernstaße on the Vienna U-bahn, although I guess other stations on the same network have similar architecture.
Aspernstraße is a station on U2 of the Vienna U-Bahn.[1] It is located in Aspern in the Donaustadt District. The station was opened on 2 October 2010 with the opening of the third section of the U2 between Stadion and Aspernstraße.

More pictures here https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/t...n-at-the-train-station-gm1130257890-298860218
[The relevant picture shows a tourist carrying a backpack waiting at a station with side contact third rail, and a glazed wall on the opposite side from the platform - the link shows other pictures in the same series - some showing a U-bahn train.]

Last edited:

Jan Mayen

A Google search suggests Aspernstaße on the Vienna U-bahn

More pictures here https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/t...n-at-the-train-station-gm1130257890-298860218
[The relevant picture shows a tourist carrying a backpack waiting at a station with side contact third rail, and a glazed wall on the opposite side from the platform - the link shows other pictures in the same series - some showing a U-bahn train.]
And here was me thinking it was on the National Rail Network. Or is OBB involved in the dispute as well?
Many thanks

mike57

Established Member
And here was me thinking it was on the National Rail Network. Or is OBB involved in the dispute as well?
Many thanks
Press picutures used for railway articles seem to be drawn from a common 'Randon picture' archive, may be a new trivia thread "The geographically most distant inaccurate picture used in a press article" This must be a front runner at c700 miles as the crow flies (assuming Dover as the nearest affected UK point to Vienna)

Facing Back

I thought it was a good question - I liked the design and wondered much the same. I was also very impressed about quickly the location was tracked down!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordon

Press picutures used for railway articles seem to be drawn from a common 'Randon picture' archive, may be a new trivia thread "The geographically most distant inaccurate picture used in a press article" This must be a front runner at c700 miles as the crow flies (assuming Dover as the nearest affected UK point to Vienna)

This sort of pathetic thing happens all the time in media. But a large proportion of the world population are not bothered about the accuracy of these things (quite rightly one would imagine). Aside from news, my favourites are the badly-dubbed-to-English product adverts featuring a 'British scene' at (for example) Budapest Nyugati staiton.

The worst gaff my family noticed in recent years was the BBC reporting on the opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel in Switzerland. The problem was that they decided the best place to do the piece to camera was a short way up the Schoellenen gorge, so when the reporter said "trains like these [by implication 160km/h + standard gauge trains] can now run at high speed through the tunnel", the train passing behind the reporter was actually a 1960s built metre-gauge rack-fitted Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn Deh motor luggage power car crawling up a 1in6 gradient...

The other common one of course it to show the Landwasser Viaduct On the Rhatische Bahn to illustrate anything on the theme of travel in European mountain areas.

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
An interesting mis match of photo <> article occurred in a West of Scotland (relevant when you read on!) local newspaper. The article reporting the death of Ayrton Senna was, puzzlingly, illustrated by a picture of an arcade of shops.
It turned out that a request for 'send me a picture of Ayrton Senna' was heard by the recipient as 'send me a picture of Ayr town centre'.

AdamWW

Established Member
Sometimes there is some self-awareness of the lack of relevance of stock photos.

I saw this once (can't remember now if it was alt-text or an actual caption) for a stock photo in an FT article about Thames Water:

"The Thames at Southwark Bridge, which isn't owned by Thames Water but is a nicer image than a leaky pipe or some men in flourescent bibs"

Status
Not open for further replies.