• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which station on the national network has the shortest platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

Passing through the temporarily closed Gilfach Fargoed station a few days ago, with its very short 52 feet long platforms, I wondered if there's anywhere on the national network with shorter platforms? At Gilfach, even a single 153 is too long!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western 52

What is the situation at Dilton Marsh nowadays?
Wikipedia says it's long enough for one coach, so presumably about 65ft or a bit more

Tygwyn and Abererch on the Cambrian Coast are very short too, but I'm not sure what length they are.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Dilton Marsh

Wikipedia says it's long enough for one coach, so presumably about 65ft or a bit more

Tygwyn and Abererch on the Cambrian Coast are very short too, but I'm not sure what length they are.

Looking at this photo of it on Flickr, I would say that at least one of the platforms is long enough for a 158 coach. It also looks like it's had a fair amount of investment recently too :

I still believe Beauly and Conan Bridge are the winners here - Both are local door, and as you can see from this photo, very small.

Gloster

Established Member
When I used Dilton Marsh it was always one door only on the units. The phrase ‘long enough for one coach’ is a bit vague. I think that quite a few years ago there were a couple of similar threads on this forum and Dilton Marsh was the winner for normal stations, but I am not sure if it has been modernised again since. Also this may have been before the reopening of Beauly and Conon Bridge

peteb

Llanbedr looks very short too, similar to Tygwyn I'd say, i.e. designed for a single classic dmu carriage (64'). Assume many on this list reduced in the 1960s?

Parallel

Established Member
I’ve used Llandanwg before, which struck me as being very short.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Shortest platform lengths in the Timetable Planning Rules, by Region:
  • Battersea Pier Staff Halt (Sussex) - 3m
  • Durnsford Road (aka Wimbledon) Staff Halt (Wessex) - 8m
  • Dilton Marsh (Western & Wales) - 15m
  • Beauly/Conon Bridge (Scotland) - 15m
  • Gilfach Fargoed (Western & Wales) - 16m
  • Berney Arms (Anglia) - 18m
  • Hubberts Bridge (London North Eastern) - 23m (Up Platform)
  • Three Oaks (Sussex) - 31m
  • Aspatria (London North Western) - 35m
  • Chetnole/Thornford (Wessex) - 45m
  • Syston (East Midlands) - 56m
  • Cuxton (Kent) - 77m (Platform 2)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
On a slightly different but related note, Huddersfield platform 5 is almost certainly the shortest bay platform. 1x 150 is the maximum that can be accomodated as the very maximum is 40 metres.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
On a slightly different but related note, Huddersfield platform 5 is almost certainly the shortest bay platform. 1x 150 is the maximum that can be accomodated as the very maximum is 40 metres.
And it's only in the last 18 months or so that 150s have been officially permitted. Prior to 2020 it was 142/144/153 only (although 150/1s did occasionally end up there). Not sure if anything uses it at the moment, with the Castlefords being peak-only (and bustituted last week anyway).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
How long is the platform at Damens on the K&WVR?
Anyone able to advise as regards Damens? (Appreciate it's not on the national network these days, but it's still located nearer to me than any of the stations on the list kindly provided upthread by @CyrusWuff ).

Lemmy99uk

Interesting if that is current as I’m pretty sure you can get 2 x 156 units (4 cars) on both platforms at Aspatria, and it’s been that way for many years.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Interesting if that is current as I’m pretty sure you can get 2 x 156 units (4 cars) on both platforms at Aspatria, and it’s been that way for many years.
That's the operational length quoted in the 2022 Timetable Planning Rules, though it also states there's additional "unlined" length in both directions.

The Sectional Appendix, meanwhile, says both platforms are 104 metres, which bears no relation to the sum of the lengths in the TPR!

Taking that into account, I'm going to go by Sectional Appendix lengths and say the new "winners" for London North Western are Bow Brickhill (Both), Aspley Guise (Down), Stewartby (Down) and Kempston Hardwick (Up) all with a length of 37 metres.

Last edited:

themiller

I wonder if the stated measurement (35m) is a typo because the shortest passenger train on the line is a 156 at 2 x 23m long. In all the years that I’ve been through there, there’s been no restriction regarding embarkation and disembarkation. The platforms are much longer than a 156 with tactile paviors along the full length. Measuring the down platform on Google Earth, I got 103 metres and the up platform is about the same length.

Last edited:

headshot119

Established Member

The 37 + LHCS used to be all doors release at Aspatria, so what's quoted in the TPR is wrong.

Established Member

Hoo Junction staff halt is probably worth a mention for Kent. It’s a lot less than 77m (more like 10m, if that) and still physically present, albeit long out of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.