• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which stations that aren't already planned do you think have a good case for reopening or opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebaz

I've often thought Yaxley a few miles south of Peterborough could be an opportunity. Surely stopping 1TPH in each direction would not interfere too much with paths on the ECML? Whilst in the locale, another thought I've had recently is the idea of extending one of the 2TPH Peterborough commuter services to Grantham. A town that large could probably benefit from more trains towards London. Any merit?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
The other 2 equally unlikely as there is no logical ways to serve them unless you think the Dunfermline - Alloa via Culross line is going to be rebuilt to passenger standards and a totally new south facing junction installed at the Dunfermline end and paths magically found across the bridge.

You wouldn't need half of that. Just run as far as Kincardine.

backontrack

Established Member
I've often thought Yaxley a few miles south of Peterborough could be an opportunity. Surely stopping 1TPH in each direction would not interfere too much with paths on the ECML? Whilst in the locale, another thought I've had recently is the idea of extending one of the 2TPH Peterborough commuter services to Grantham. A town that large could probably benefit from more trains towards London. Any merit?
Yaxley is a good suggestion.

Grantham is served by Hull Trains too.

mcmad

You wouldn't need half of that. Just run as far as Kincardine.
Culross is East of Kincardine?

Its 10 miles from Alloa to Culross. Linespeed doesn't get much above 60mph at best so say 13 minutes including the stop at Kincardine. Alloa to Edinburgh is 1hr 25m with the change at Stirling and Glasgow 52 minutes direct so 1hr 37 and 1hr 5 minutes. The bus already does it in that time or less for considerably cheaper so why spend several million to serve a catchment of less than 5000

Last edited:

corsaVXR

South of Kettering, I guess you'd be stopping the electric Corby services, and again the slowing down of services might not be popular. However, I personally quite like the idea Rushden/Irchester station, with link road to the A45, despite the proximity to Wellingborough

Rushden could do with a station (especially now the lakes has opened), and with electrification they could extend some thameslink services up to wellingborough or maybe further - just to keep prices competitive. it costs way more to travel from Wellingborough to St Pancras than from Bedford.

InOban

Established Member
Culloden would be a good one.
Not possible at the housing development because of the gradient. And the level section, immediately N of the viaduct, is a long way from the housing.

Gradient is also a problem at Halbeath.

Established Member
How about lower Darwen and spring vale now the Ribble valley line is 2 per hour?

I'd think Lower Darren would have the better case, but it's on the single line. If you could have an 80s-style wooden platform with no wheelchair access maybe, but a modern station with a new loop will never happen.

B&I

Established Member
Around Liverpool, in addition to what has already been suggested, and assuming capacity is bo object:-

Wavertree (Wellington Rd, but probably better moved to Picton Rd), Sefton Pk (Smithdown Rd), Ditton (parkway for Widnes) and something on the northern outskirts of Crewe on the WCML.

Kew on the Southport-Wigan line.

Midge Hall and Farringdon on the Ormskirk-Preston line.

A new station between Huyton and Prescot, and Carr Mill on the Wigan line.

Dallam (for the retail parks etc) on the Newton-le-Willows-Warrington Bank Quay line.

Woodchurch, Fender Way and Deeside on the Bidston-Wrexham line.

Somewhere on the eastern outskirts (near the ring road) of Chester on both the Crewe and Warrington lines.

Stan63

Elderslie on the Ayrshire-Glasgow line. Possibility of reopening the line from there to Paisley Canal.

Stan63

There's plenty room to build the station on a loop to allow faster trains to pass through.

6Gman

Established Member
something on the northern outskirts of Crewe on the WCML.

This one gets mentioned quite a lot locally but I never really understand why.

It would be expensive to build - presumably serving the Slow Lines only? What would call there? An hourly Birmingham - Liverpool? Hardly an attractive service and would further slow the already pretty poor service for through passengers.

DJames

I think re-opening the line from Stourbridge through to Wednesbury, and then on to Walsall would be a better option than the current plans for the Midland Metro. There should certainly be stations re-opened at Brierley Hill, Dudley and Great Bridge, along with new platforms at Dudley Port.

There was a consultation recently by National Express West Midlands, that proposed changes to the 74, 87 and 126 bus routes which all link Dudley with Birmingham, so it seems like they may want to reduce the amount of routes connecting the two due to congestion, so I think reopening the line could remove some of the burden quite well, provided that services are regular and/or times to interchange with services at Dudley Port, for onward travel towards Birmingham.

I could also propose the stations along the Camp Hill chord, or on the Wolverhampton - Walsall line, but they've already been talked about a fair bit and actually have a reasonable chance of being opened/reopened.

B&I

Established Member
This one gets mentioned quite a lot locally but I never really understand why.

It would be expensive to build - presumably serving the Slow Lines only? What would call there? An hourly Birmingham - Liverpool? Hardly an attractive service and would further slow the already pretty poor service for through passengers.

Because Crewe seems to me a big town to be served by only one station. And if Liverpool wasn't treated as a small fishing village in national transport planning terms it would be connected to Birmingham by something better than a stopping service averaging 56 mph.

SeanM1997

Willaston (between Crewe and Nantwich) - 2 hourly service unless the stopper gets enhanced (which it needs to)
Crewe Town, Bentley Motors and Tarporley & Beeston Castle (between Crewe and Chester) - hourly ATW service and maybe extending Merseyrail from Chester to Crewe to provide 2 trains an hour between Crewe and Birkenhead, done through electrification of the line
Middlewich (between Sandbach and Northwich) - rerouting the new hourly Greenbank-Manchester service to Crewe, Sandbach, Middlewich, Northwich and continue to Manchester. Provide better connectivity between Mid Cheshire Line and West Coast Main Line
Basford (between Crewe and Alsager) - hourly Crewe-Derby and Crewe-Stoke-Birmingham services and provides new routes to the new employment park, be a park & ride for the main station/Crewe Town centre, and reduce driving to the current station

Would also be good to see a new 400m chord just west of Kidsgrove to connect Crewe-Stoke and Macclesfield-Stoke lines avoiding Kidsgrove, and to extend Blackpool-Macclesfield services to Crewe to provide better links across Cheshire East

urbophile

Established Member
Around Liverpool, in addition to what has already been suggested, and assuming capacity is bo object:-

Wavertree (Wellington Rd, but probably better moved to Picton Rd), Sefton Pk (Smithdown Rd),

Both of these are a good idea, but only if Merseyrail takes over the slow lines north of Parkway and links into the Wapping tunnel with at least a 15 minute service. Otherwise they are far too close to the city centre to make it worth planning a journey around an infrequent diesel service when the time saved over the bus is lost in hanging around.

B&I

Established Member
Both of these are a good idea, but only if Merseyrail takes over the slow lines north of Parkway and links into the Wapping tunnel with at least a 15 minute service. Otherwise they are far too close to the city centre to make it worth planning a journey around an infrequent diesel service when the time saved over the bus is lost in hanging around.

Yes, or a more frequent Northern service comes in, probably not running onto the CLC line. Mind you, traffic can be so bad on the Smithdown and Wavertree Roads that even a half-hourly service could be competitive with bus.

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

backontrack

Established Member
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Soham in Cambrdigeshire yet. It's a sizeable town of more than 10,000 residents, the Ely - Ipswich line runs right past it yet despite several speculative news reports, there seem to be no firm plans to build a station there. Here's the most recent report I can find - long on speculation but short on detail!

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/soham-new-railway-station-promise-13775646
Yeah. Fulbourn too...

Statto

Established Member

Wavertree (Wellington Rd, but probably better moved to Picton Rd), Sefton Pk (Smithdown Rd), Ditton (parkway for Widnes) and something on the northern outskirts of Crewe on the WCML.

Smithdown Road would be a better location, but with the frequent bus services think mostly used for those heading for the CLC or Crewe lines rather than towards Lime Street..

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I see Deeside in North East Scotland has been mentioned, But if i'm honest there's not really demand for a line down that way and if they did do one it would be a huge money pit.

On the other side of Aberdeen though in the Buchan area it's a different storey. In my opinion they should have a service that goes Aberdeen - Dyce - Newmachar - Ellon - Peterhead - Fraserburgh (Maybe a few more stops on route) on either a hourly or half hourly frequency using something like the 158s. There's clearly the demand too as there's frequent bus (Coach) services using 70+ seaters (5+ BPH) which are very busy.

backontrack

Established Member
I see Deeside in North East Scotland has been mentioned, But if i'm honest there's not really demand for a line down that way and if they did do one it would be a huge money pit.

On the other side of Aberdeen though in the Buchan area it's a different storey. In my opinion they should have a service that goes Aberdeen - Dyce - Newmachar - Ellon - Peterhead - Fraserburgh (Maybe a few more stops on route) on either a hourly or half hourly frequency using something like the 158s. There's clearly the demand too as there's frequent bus (Coach) services using 70+ seaters (5+ BPH) which are very busy.
Mintlaw?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Soham in Cambrdigeshire yet. It's a sizeable town of more than 10,000 residents, the Ely - Ipswich line runs right past it yet despite several speculative news reports, there seem to be no firm plans to build a station there. Here's the most recent report I can find - long on speculation but short on detail!

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/soham-new-railway-station-promise-13775646

Sohamites most want to get to Cambridge, where the line doesn't go...

Yeah. Fulbourn too...

Where the bus service to Cambridge has just (yesterday) been halved to half-hourly.

Will only make sense with significant housebuilding. And shortening/speeding up the single line while you're at it.

RichJF

Cranleigh station. There was talk they were going to open the short section of the line at one point but it seems to have gone quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.