• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Stuffed and Loco would you like to see return to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PinzaC55

To be fair shouldn't LE Greys's avatar loco have a yellow end to be standing at York station? Or is it that kettles are so slow that PW staff see them coming and jump out of the way?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Or is it that kettles are so slow that PW staff see them coming and jump out of the way?

As far as I know it's that coupled with the red buffer beam and the fact that kettles are much noisier than modern trains.

LE Greys

Established Member
To be fair shouldn't LE Greys's avatar loco have a yellow end to be standing at York station? Or is it that kettles are so slow that PW staff see them coming and jump out of the way?

They just never have been. When it was introduced, diesels were dark green, which happens to be the same colour as the background in a deep cutting, so we effectively had camouflaged trains. A combination of sound, steam, whistles and lower speed probably contribute to it, plus it being a change to standard practice and the fact that steam was being phased out when the regulations were changed might have resulted in "no change". No dead man's handle either, but of course there is always a fireman to take over and stop the train.

Owen Hodgson's take on steam with yellow ends (as published in the Railway Magazine).

Bon Accord

I'd dearly love to see Blue Peter running again.
The A2s were, to my mind at least, some of the finest and most free running locomotives ever built - fast, powerful and pretty decent hill climbers.
Green Arrow would come a close second.
In an ideal world, I'd love to see them both working over Whitrope with 12 on, celebrating a fully reopened Waverley route - such noise, such spectacle!
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end..... (with apologies to Mary Hopkins)

Bon Accord

Even by todays vastly improved permanent way, would such a heavyweight combination be permissible? Not to mention that to make such a train pay would probably cost a Kings (Duke of Cambridge's?) ransom.
As for yet more bland green, coppered up kettles on the main line, well....:lol:
For those on this forum who know anything about the MN, the GWR is most definitely the railway version of the famous Blue Funnel Line....:roll:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
If we can mention units, I would love to see the Bullied doubledecker EMU running about the Southern.....

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Don't forget a 302 aswell. 303 is doable as there is at least one whole 303 preserved. Not sure if there is enough to make up a whole 309 or 310, I know there was until fairly recently.

Crapper

Isn't one of the engines sitting beside it with a big hole cut out of the crankcase so that people can see the insides?

And I'd love to see it in operation one day as well.

No, that is a power unit recovered from a scrapped production deltic. The prototype has both its original power units in place, which are true 'marine' versions, identical to the pair that Martin Walker has as spares for 16 & 22 which were recovered from an ex Norwegian navy gunboat.

It wouldn't be impossible to get DELTIC running again, although main line would be unlikely not least as it is vacuum brake only, and being so different from a production locos and hence without 'grandfather rights' would be an expensive and red tape ridden nightmare to register.

d5509

The garratt William Francis at bressingham.

It would be nice to see that at work, not so novel now the Welsh Highland has garretts. While Bressingham is in the frame how about Thundersley which hasn't steamed for over 50 years and comes in at least 4 livery options :D

No, that is a power unit recovered from a scrapped production deltic. The prototype has both its original power units in place, which are true 'marine' versions, identical to the pair that Martin Walker has as spares for 16 & 22 which were recovered from an ex Norwegian navy gunboat.

It wouldn't be impossible to get DELTIC running again, although main line would be unlikely not least as it is vacuum brake only, and being so different from a production locos and hence without 'grandfather rights' would be an expensive and red tape ridden nightmare to register.

Plenty of duel-braked coaches about on mainline charters, so who knows.

PinzaC55

" being so different from a production locos and hence without 'grandfather rights' "

That would be irrelevant to mainline running. If that argument was correct you couldn't allow "Tornado" to run because it is one of a kind.

Crapper

" being so different from a production locos and hence without 'grandfather rights' "

That would be irrelevant to mainline running. If that argument was correct you couldn't allow "Tornado" to run because it is one of a kind.

I didn't say it couldn't be done did i? I said getting it registered to use on the main line would be expensive and far from simple. It would have to go through the same processes that Tornado did with a VAB, which costs lots of money. It's academic anyway, as its unlikely the NRM would permit all the alterations necessary to bring. Its safety systems up to date.

PinzaC55

I didn't say it couldn't be done did i? I said getting it registered to use on the main line would be expensive and far from simple. It would have to go through the same processes that Tornado did with a VAB, which costs lots of money. It's academic anyway, as its unlikely the NRM would permit all the alterations necessary to bring. Its safety systems up to date.

That could apply to virtually any loco in the NRM, many of which have not moved under their own power for a great number of years.
Personally I think the idea that you can't restore a historic loco to running order because you have to rebolier/rewire it is bogus - after all , it's the external appearance that counts, not the internal workings. The new "Baby Deltic" won't ACUALLY be a Baby Deltic but it will have the external appearance of one and a genuine engine.

chris89

Established Member
Wouldn't mind seeing 89001 put into mainline condition.

Also the same for 'Gordon' which in currently stuffed in the Engine house at Highley, but it is impractical for the railway due to the brakes & wheelbase on it. Same as with the Kings and A4's when they visit.

Chris

Crapper

That could apply to virtually any loco in the NRM, many of which have not moved under their own power for a great number of years.
Personally I think the idea that you can't restore a historic loco to running order because you have to rebolier/rewire it is bogus - after all , it's the external appearance that counts, not the internal workings. The new "Baby Deltic" won't ACUALLY be a Baby Deltic but it will have the external appearance of one and a genuine engine.

You seem to be missing the point: it would be relatively simply to restore DELTIC to working order, the skills and missing parts are available. However, its still going to be hideously expensive to do. The new order at the NRM are a bit more accommodating to groups restoring their assets, which is ably demonstrated with recent goings on with 55002.

However, assuming funding could be found to restore DELTIC, and even more could be found to add GSMR, OTMR, TPWS, NRN etc, oh and not forgetting air brakes (yes, there is dual brakes stock, but why do you think main line steam is being air braked?) Then you need to persuade an organisation averse to making major alterations to its assets. The best that one can hope for is a restoration to working order. Main line running is just NOT going to happen. Ever.

PinzaC55

You seem to be missing the point: it would be relatively simply to restore DELTIC to working order, the skills and missing parts are available. However, its still going to be hideously expensive to do. The new order at the NRM are a bit more accommodating to groups restoring their assets, which is ably demonstrated with recent goings on with 55002.

However, assuming funding could be found to restore DELTIC, and even more could be found to add GSMR, OTMR, TPWS, NRN etc, oh and not forgetting air brakes (yes, there is dual brakes stock, but why do you think main line steam is being air braked?) Then you need to persuade an organisation averse to making major alterations to its assets. The best that one can hope for is a restoration to working order. Main line running is just NOT going to happen. Ever.

So you say. And my point is that the same argument could apply to any of the locomotives in the NRM's stewardship. You cannot possibly know whether DELTIC will ever be restored to main line running order or not. Sticking a load of initials after it impresses nobody , least of all me.

Crapper

So you say. And my point is that the same argument could apply to any of the locomotives in the NRM's stewardship. You cannot possibly know whether DELTIC will ever be restored to main line running order or not. Sticking a load of initials after it impresses nobody , least of all me.

Yeah, ok...whatever. I could easily argue the point - the initials being jargon for safety, data recorders, future signalling systems etc, all that would be required for main line running. I just can't be bothered though, as you obviously know more than I do.

PinzaC55

Yeah, ok...whatever. I could easily argue the point - the initials being jargon for safety, data recorders, future signalling systems etc, all that would be required for main line running. I just can't be bothered though, as you obviously know more than I do.

I'm not saying I know any more than you do. I simply have a different opinion.

WL113

DELTIC would be a hell of sight running again, can't see it happening though.

I would really like to see an early AC electric out again, 84001 preferably.

Also what about E5001? Didn't that see use under NRM custody?

Status
Not open for further replies.