• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which TOC's have the Smartest Uniform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks for your comments thus far - very interesting.

Mention has been made fo being sweaty in hot weather. Are the uniforms made of man made fibres which would be worse for this than natural fibres such as cotton?

Someone mentioned having to go outside in a thunderstorm; surely a plastic rain covering (or even breathable Gortex or similar) should be taken to work on standby when rain is possible?

For those wearing suits everyday - how often are they cleaned?

bramling

Veteran Member
We don't wear waistcoats or blazers anymore, they were swapped for softshell jackets earlier this year.

Pity - I always found the waistcoats looked good.

Many thanks for your comments thus far - very interesting.

Mention has been made fo being sweaty in hot weather. Are the uniforms made of man made fibres which would be worse for this than natural fibres such as cotton?

Someone mentioned having to go outside in a thunderstorm; surely a plastic rain covering (or even breathable Gortex or similar) should be taken to work on standby when rain is possible?

For those wearing suits everyday - how often are they cleaned?

On the latter point, I don’t generally wear the top half of the suit, but I have multiple sets of trousers which I’m reliably informed are washed after one or two wears (I’m fortunate enough not to have to ever worry about having to touch my washing machine!).

As regards being out in the rain, yes there’s various waterproof and semi-waterproof coats which can be worn. In that sort of situation you’d be wearing an orange overcoat.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Tyne & Wear Metro wouldn’t be too bad but they currently have a thing for making all their staff wear brightly coloured hi-vis on top, the effect of which is horrific (I suppose it has a benefit if you’re illicitly taking photos as it makes staff easier to spot!).

Don't start me on hi viz. National Express West Mids bus drivers have to wear them all the time. I wager the safest place on a bus is in the driver's cab, and the whole point of hi viz is to draw attention in a dangerous situation - totally negates the whole point of hi viz

bramling

Veteran Member
Don't start me on hi viz. National Express West Mids bus drivers have to wear them all the time. I wager the safest place on a bus is in the driver's cab, and the whole point of hi viz is to draw attention in a dangerous situation - totally negates the whole point of hi viz

Agreed. The worst thing with Nexus is they seem to have colour coded them. I think station staff wear bright pink, whilst roving staff wear powder blue. Drivers naturally keep orange, though unlike the station staff they don’t seem to have to wear them except when required.

The nightly special security operation on the Wearside section is a sight to behold, though one effect of the hi-vis is the various problem groups (mainly gangs of down & outs or teenagers) see the staff and disappear off, which I guess does work well.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Train crew have to wear safety shoes, brands may differ. I have always found them uncomfortable and have lots of problems with my feet now.

Some TOCs don't issue safety shoes at all. Staff are given shoe vouchers to a certain value so they can choose and purchase their own footwear, within certain parameters (black or dark material, sturdy sole etc). Safety shoes i.e. steel toecapped are no longer required I believe.

RailExplorer

Some TOCs don't issue safety shoes at all. Staff are given shoe vouchers to a certain value so they can choose and purchase their own footwear, within certain parameters (black or dark material, sturdy sole etc). Safety shoes i.e. steel toecapped are no longer required I believe.
£23 can be claimed back at my TOC, which doesn't even come close to paying for a decent pair of shoes. Perhaps 20 years ago £23 was ok. All TOCs I've worked at so far haven't required Drivers to safety shoes.

£23 can be claimed back at my TOC, which doesn't even come close to paying for a decent pair of shoes. Perhaps 20 years ago £23 was ok. All TOCs I've worked at so far haven't required Drivers to safety shoes.
I would speak to occupational health if the shoes provided aren’t comfortable and are causing you pain. I’ve always chosen to wear my own shoes that meet the requirements as personally if I’m the one spending upto 12 hours in them, I want to guarantee my comfort even if it comes out of my pocket.

Established Member
Safety shoes i.e. steel toecapped are no longer required I believe.

Not required where I am. Makes sense as you’re unlikely to drop anything on your foot; you just need something suitable for potentially walking on the ballast.

RPI

Established Member
Not required where I am. Makes sense as you’re unlikely to drop anything on your foot; you just need something suitable for potentially walking on the ballast.
Same with us, the only role (on train) where I personally think steel toecaps make sense are the catering hosts pulling a trolley through the train.

Bigfoot

I have to say I find the point about practicality overplayed. I have secured 9 sets of points in the middle of a torrential rain storm, all done wearing a shirt and tie, without it causing an issue. Naturally views will differ on this, but my view is that smart clothes are perfectly practical. I can think of nothing worse than looking at someone wearing a polo shirt that’s covered in sweat patches.
I think the problem is that one uniform is designed, but there are so many different body shapes and sizes.

What fits well and is practical for one won't fit well and be practical for another. I'd love to wear a shirt instead of a t shirt but they are cut horrendously and are simply not long enough. As for the trousers a tapered leg is no good when you have to wear a waist size 4 sizes too big to simply get it over your calf. Thus looking like a clown. So shorts and m&s trousers it is for me.

GN Boy

Us GTR drivers don’t have particularly smart uniform; however I find it really comfortable!

GalaxyDog

TFW uniforms when I've travelled to Aberystwyth have varied but always seem smart.
GWR look quite smart and practical.
Mention has been made of poor examples of uniforms. Look to the Midlands for that.

iphone76

I'd like to apologise in advance on behalf of Elizabeth line drivers. You'll start seeing our legs from 19th June when shorts are being issued as part of the uniform.

RailExplorer

I'd like to apologise in advance on behalf of Elizabeth line drivers. You'll start seeing our legs from 19th June when shorts are being issued as part of the uniform.

It's the only way of keeping cool when you are issued with a dark navy uniform (trousers and polos) and black shoes!

12LDA28C

Established Member

Chiltern issues shoe vouchers to the value of £50 each year. A decent pair of shoes/boots would cost more than that but if the vouchers are saved up for two years then a good pair can be bought which should last a couple of years before needing replacing.

Steel toe cap shoes are handy for turning the butterfly door switches.

Don't need steel toe caps for that!

SJN

I’m a driver and we’re still expected to wear safety shoes. Haven’t been told they’re not needed anymore. I’ll check with management.

Krokodil

Established Member
I see that Transport for Wales staff are all dressed in black - which looks a bit odd during hot sunny weather in summer. I would have thought that their uniform would have been based on the livery of the trains.
Drivers on the Cambrian have needed to wear a dark colour ever since ETCS was fitted. It stops the glare of the screen being reflected on the windscreen. Black shirts have since been widely adopted by drivers, even those not on the Cambrian.
Same with us, the only role (on train) where I personally think steel toecaps make sense are the catering hosts pulling a trolley through the train.
And anyone doing passenger assists, in case a wheelchair runs over your foot.

Established Member
What fits well and is practical for one won't fit well and be practical for another. I'd love to wear a shirt instead of a t shirt but they are cut horrendously and are simply not long enough. As for the trousers a tapered leg is no good when you have to wear a waist size 4 sizes too big to simply get it over your calf. Thus looking like a clown. So shorts and m&s trousers it is for me.

Yet most other industries manage to get uniform to fit. It’s almost as if TOCs go out of their way to humiliate their own staff.

Frankly a lot of railway uniform is badly designed to the point of being demeaning and, as a driver, I’d rather wear no uniform at all, and just wear smart casual office wear to work (ie decent trousers and a polo). There’s really no need for us to be identifiable - especially those of us with guards.

RPI

Established Member
Yet most other industries manage to get uniform to fit. It’s almost as if TOCs go out of their way to humiliate their own staff.

Frankly a lot of railway uniform is badly designed to the point of being demeaning and, as a driver, I’d rather wear no uniform at all, and just wear smart casual office wear to work (ie decent trousers and a polo). There’s really no need for us to be identifiable - especially those of us with guards.
I think this is why a shirt and tie based uniform is probably best, it looks smart on most people of most builds, I'm certainly not thin and I feel comfortable in a shirt and tie, or just shirt when its hot, polo shirts really don't look good on blokes of my build.
GWR drivers get the option of shirt and tie or polo shirts, or both, I think most TOC's have this approach now.
Finally this year GWR are letting customer facing staff other than drivers have shorts, they've been quite precise about how they're to be worn, ie with just a short sleeve shirt, no tie and shoes (not boots) but its a step forward as we've been asking for years. We're also not allowed to wear them if working primarily on IET's/387's, is that an admission of how bad the air con is on the turbo fleet? :lol:

Established Member
I think this is why a shirt and tie based uniform is probably best, it looks smart on most people of most builds, I'm certainly not thin and I feel comfortable in a shirt and tie, or just shirt when its hot, polo shirts really don't look good on blokes of my build.

Agreed. Ideally a choice should be offered
(which we have at my place), and what is made available should fit correctly.

It’s pretty basic stuff!

heathrowrail

GWR's is the smartest, apart from the jackets with "GWR" on the back which a lot of staff seem to wear now. I'd also say that a lot of TOC's *cough* EMR etc have taken a lot of inspiration from GWR.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think SWR looks smart, but from what I'm told fit and quality leaves something to be desired.

fulmar

I think this is why a shirt and tie based uniform is probably best, it looks smart on most people of most builds:lol:
Ties (and decorative scarves) are surely some of the most pointless things Homo sapiens have ever invented. If I never again have to wear a totally useless piece of patterened cloth around my neck I shall be well pleased. By all means give people the choice if they really feel they need to get dressed up to drive a train but I'll go for function over fashion any day. I'm a very hands-on driver who is happy to get dirty if it'll help me fix something.

And when I'm a customer I don't give a stuff what bits of cloth people are draped in as long as they are identifiable and competent.

Krokodil

Established Member
The only time I'm grateful for a tie is when cycling to work in the depths of winter. Stops the cold air slipping down my collar under my jacket.

GWVillager

I have to agree with GWR being the smartest around today.

As to smarter uniforms being impractical or pointless, I really don't think this is the case. Historically, uniforms have usually been much more formal than today yet tasks were often more dependant on physical effort and movement, so it's clearly possible (indeed, I, on a heritage railway, have to wear what would be considered a very smart uniform by mainline standards and yet tasks are still easily achievable).

I personally don't think preparation of smart uniforms is that much of a burden on staff anyway if they take pride in the railway's (and by extension their own) appearance, it's part of getting everything looking good for the passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.