• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whistle devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb001

weird question, primarily during covid, i remember seeing the dispatchers at leeds station using a kind of device that made a whistle like noice, like a high pitched shrill?

does anyone know what the name of this thing is? i feel like i managed to find it at the time, and i just cannot remember what i searched for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lb001

An electronic whistle perhaps? I seem to recall these being used by guards on South Western Railway too.

Alas, I was never given one as I only joined after COVID.

ah bloody hell, absolutely right. thank you!

surprised they haven't kept them to be honest, i'm guessing they'll just have been a whole lot more expensive that just the general issue whistle stocks toc's were using pre covid

they didn't half make a noise though!

greyman42

Established Member
You can't beat a traditional whistle.
A good example of the paranoia that some people got caught up in during covid.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
At my TOC we’re not allowed to blow whistles except in an emergency. Current thinking suggests passengers will upon hearing a whistle run for a train which could lead to a slip,trip or fall. Yes,I know…….

Melancholia

At my TOC we’re not allowed to blow whistles except in an emergency. Current thinking suggests passengers will upon hearing a whistle run for a train which could lead to a slip,trip or fall. Yes,I know…….
They also haven't clarified what constitutes an "emergency".

Such a poor implementation of a policy.

Last edited:

Krokodil

Established Member
To be fair, they may have a point. Many passengers treat the door warble as "run and stick your arm in" rather than "stand clear".

As a guard I don't use my whistle often, preferring to yell "stand clear" if someone is in a stupid place. When a whistle blows it's not necessarily clear what it's being blown for. Obviously not everyone has a Windsor Davies sized gob though.

TEW

Established Member
And at another TOC whistle use is mandatory for guards at every stop.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Edit: [TOC removed] I take it?
Not having a go, but for clarity, I'll just point out that it's good practice to say vague things like "my TOC" or "my employer" and to avoid revealing who that TOC is, and indeed I would encourage people to not divulge their employer and would never expect anyone to divulge it on the forum.
To be fair, they may have a point...
...When a whistle blows it's not necessarily clear what it's being blown for...
True; I've seen people start hurrying when they heard whistles for other trains, when there were still a few mins prior to departure (though trains leaving early doesn't help there either!)
Many passengers treat the door warble as "run and stick your arm in" rather than "stand clear".
We had a thread dedicated to that topic!

Last edited:

Melancholia

Not having a go, but for clarity, I'll just point out that it's good practice to say vague things like "my TOC" or "my employer" and to avoid revealing who that TOC is, and indeed I would encourage people to not divulge their employer and would never expect anyone to divulge it on the forum.
Noted, makes sense. I've taken it out of my post now.

To add to the discussion, what looks silly is when dispatchers from one TOC have a different policy to a train operated by another TOC, and vice versa. Either only the dispatcher uses the whistle, or the guard. Just looks silly in my opinion.

There should be some standardisation on this matter.

sir_gummerz

I believe I work for the same TOC as you, started as a dispatcher and this really seemed odd to me. Standards are really on it and I got in trouble for using a whistle while dispatching

To make things more complicated, there's a 2nd operator that calls at my station, and the TMs on those trains use a whistle when closing doors and departing, so we can't whistle for safety reasons, but the on board crew are allowed too.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I believe I work for the same TOC as you, started as a dispatcher and this really seemed odd to me. Standards are really on it and I got in trouble for using a whistle while dispatching

To make things more complicated, there's a 2nd operator that calls at my station, and the TMs on those trains use a whistle when closing doors and departing, so we can't whistle for safety reasons, but the on board crew are allowed too.
This has long been a problem on Britain's Railways. They get an idea in their head that's "safe" and nothing will shake them from that view "safety firat" Until it causes an accident. They are only reactive and not proactive about safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.