• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whitstable to Folkestone - route validity via Ashford/Ebbsfleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Looking to travel from Whitstable to Folkestone for the day tomorrow (just noticed the time...later today!), but having not done the full Kent Coast line was looking if one could return the opposite way to the outward, ie one way via Dover and the other via Ebbsfleet? Would be looking to travel on the 395 services in all cases, more than likely.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
How did you get on?

Via Ebbsfleet sounds like a rather long way round to me! I would have been more inclined to go one way via Canterbury East (or Ramsgate, Canterbury West and Ashford) and the other way via Deal if it were me. Not sure if all three of those routes would be valid, though.

Romilly

Established Member
So far as I can see, the through trains (Whitstable-Margate-Ramsgate-Sandwich-Dover-Folkestone) are allowed, because through trains are always allowed. The shortest route is also permitted: Folkestone-Dover-Canterbury-Faversham-Whitstable. The only other permitted route given by the routeing guide maps is: Folkestone-Ashford-Canterbury-Ramsgate-Whitstable. (See maps KA and RA, as the relevant routeing points for Whitstable are Faversham and Ramsgate, and the relevant routeing point for Folkestone is Ashford.) I can certainly get itineraries for all three routes on a Whitstable-Folkestone ticket.

Crossover

Established Member
It didn’t matter in the end - we just took a trip to explore Deal. Folkestone will be for another time

Status
Not open for further replies.