• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who responds to level crossing failures?

ten7

The other day I witnessed a level crossing stuck in the closed position. It wasn’t long before the MOM turned up in their incident response vehicle but there was another guy in the vehicle just wearing normal network rail oranges who took a line block and manually overrode the level crossing to open it. Was that guy the level crossing manager and the MOM was just giving him a lift?

Also would someone else come to do the actual repair? And until then the guy has to manually operate the level crossing by taking line blocks at every gap when the crossing can be opened?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Puddock

The other day I witnessed a level crossing stuck in the closed position. It wasn’t long before the MOM turned up in their incident response vehicle but there was another guy in the vehicle just wearing normal network rail oranges who took a line block and manually overrode the level crossing to open it. Was that guy the level crossing manager and the MOM was just giving him a lift?
Level Crossing Manager isn’t an operational role and they don’t typically have the competence to operate a crossing on local control. The second person was probably a trainee MOM.

Also would someone else come to do the actual repair? And until then the guy has to manually operate the level crossing by taking line blocks at every gap when the crossing can be opened?
A team of 2 or 3 technicians from NR’s signal and telecoms department would do the actual fault diagnosis and repair. You’re right that sometimes that means an extended period of operating the crossing locally by an attendant although a line blockage is not required to do so (if you saw stop boards placed at the crossing, that’s done for a different reason).

ten7

Level Crossing Manager isn’t an operational role and they don’t typically have the competence to operate a crossing on local control. The second person was probably a trainee MOM.

A team of 2 or 3 technicians from NR’s signal and telecoms department would do the actual fault diagnosis and repair. You’re right that sometimes that means an extended period of operating the crossing locally by an attendant although a line blockage is not required to do so (if you saw stop boards placed at the crossing, that’s done for a different reason).
Very Interesting thanks. The one in MOM PPE didn’t leave the vehicle. It was just the other guy and he looked like he knew what he was doing. I guess it could have just been 2 MOMS?

So I’m curious - how would you operate the LX manually without taking line blocks? Would you just call the signaller and ask every time if it’s safe to open the crossing to road traffic?

The Puddock

Very Interesting thanks. The one in MOM PPE didn’t leave the vehicle. It was just the other guy and he looked like he knew what he was doing. I guess it could have just been 2 MOMS?
It could have been two MOMs, though usually they work on shift alone (that said, I’m sure someone told me Eastern Region was trying out some double manned teams?). It might have been around shift changeover time and they both happened to be together when the call came in. If it was a trainee they were perhaps at at a stage where they don’t require such close supervision and are very close to being passed out. A lot of MOMs find the tactical vest uncomfortable, particularly in summer, so don’t wear it.

So I’m curious - how would you operate the LX manually without taking line blocks? Would you just call the signaller and ask every time if it’s safe to open the crossing to road traffic?
For level crossings on local control it works the other way round - the line and level crossing both remain open to traffic and the signaller advises the attendant when there is a train approaching in sufficient time for them to operate the crossing. The different types of level crossings have slightly different procedures but broadly speaking, the train will be stopped at a signal before the level crossing and the driver will be told to approach the crossing at caution and not pass over it until the attendant gives a handsignal.

ten7

It could have been two MOMs, though usually they work on shift alone (that said, I’m sure someone told me Eastern Region was trying out some double manned teams?). It might have been around shift changeover time and they both happened to be together when the call came in. If it was a trainee they were perhaps at at a stage where they don’t require such close supervision and are very close to being passed out. A lot of MOMs find the tactical vest uncomfortable, particularly in summer, so don’t wear it.

For level crossings on local control it works the other way round - the line and level crossing both remain open to traffic and the signaller advises the attendant when there is a train approaching in sufficient time for them to operate the crossing. The different types of level crossings have slightly different procedures but broadly speaking, the train will be stopped at a signal before the level crossing and the driver will be told to approach the crossing at caution and not pass over it until the attendant gives a handsignal.
Oh that’s interesting. The lx was in eastern region so it could have been a double manned vehicle.

I’ve never heard of that before but is interesting. That sounds similar to piloting?

In the LX I saw it looked very much like the MOM was taking a block. As he initially phoned the signaller and then put the phone down to allow 2 trains to pass. After they had passed, he made another call to the signaller before crossing the line and doing the manual override.

The Puddock

In the LX I saw it looked very much like the MOM was taking a block. As he initially phoned the signaller and then put the phone down to allow 2 trains to pass. After they had passed, he made another call to the signaller before crossing the line and doing the manual override.
You can't take a crossing under local control unless there are no trains approaching it. On arriving at the crossing the attendant first needs to phone the signaller to get permission to take it under local control; if there is a train approaching they will be refused and told to call back again once the train has passed clear of the crossing. That is what you saw happening.

High Dyke

Established Member
As The Puddock mentions, it could be a trainee MOM. They will be learning the role, but may not have sufficient competencies. Ironically, Eastern Region increased the headcount of MOMs, to then announce redundancies amongst that grade.

The question of level crossing operation and failures has been answered. However, different crossing types may have a slightly different method of operation during failure.

ten7

You can't take a crossing under local control unless there are no trains approaching it. On arriving at the crossing the attendant first needs to phone the signaller to get permission to take it under local control; if there is a train approaching they will be refused and told to call back again once the train has passed clear of the crossing. That is what you saw happening.
So when under local control, how does the MOM know when a train is approaching and needs to close the LX to traffic? Also is it a specific sentinel competency they need for it?

muz379

Established Member
So when under local control, how does the MOM know when a train is approaching and needs to close the LX to traffic? Also is it a specific sentinel competency they need for it?
When a crossing is under Local control the signaller must tell the attendant in time to allow the barriers to be lowered for the appraching train .

The driver will be stopped at a signal before the crossing , told what is happening and told to approach the crossing at caution . Then depending on the type of crossing there are different instructions , for an AHBC for example the driver will be told to only proceed over the crossing when given a green handsignal by the attendant .

Not sure about the competency Q sorry .

The Puddock

Also is it a specific sentinel competency they need for it?
Yes, it comes under ‘operations response’ in Sentinel. The competence is AOD(LXA) - auxiliary operating duties (level crossing attendant).

ten7

When a crossing is under Local control the signaller must tell the attendant in time to allow the barriers to be lowered for the appraching train .

The driver will be stopped at a signal before the crossing , told what is happening and told to approach the crossing at caution . Then depending on the type of crossing there are different instructions , for an AHBC for example the driver will be told to only proceed over the crossing when given a green handsignal by the attendant .

Not sure about the competency Q sorry .
So the signaller has to call the MOM every time?

Also with the LX manager not being an operational role, are they part of RAM team? Or maintenance?

LowLevel

Established Member
As The Puddock mentions, it could be a trainee MOM. They will be learning the role, but may not have sufficient competencies. Ironically, Eastern Region increased the headcount of MOMs, to then announce redundancies amongst that grade.

The question of level crossing operation and failures has been answered. However, different crossing types may have a slightly different method of operation during failure.
I wish there were more of them. They're a very welcome sight when you're working a train that's in trouble - particularly in rural areas. The Lincoln MOMs have always been very practical and helpful people.

High Dyke

Established Member
I wish there were more of them. They're a very welcome sight when you're working a train that's in trouble - particularly in rural areas. The Lincoln MOMs have always been very practical and helpful people.
They'll be grateful for that praise. You are right though, wherever they are it's always a welcome sight.