• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are people opposed to HS2? (And other HS2 discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kelford

Not entirely true since the 1990s when JR East introduced two 'Mini Shinkansen' branches on former narrow gauge routes that had been converted to standard gauge. Like our UK classic compatibles, the high speed trains that use these are specially constructed with restricted body profiles to fit through structures too small for other 'captive' Shinkansen trains that stay wholly on the high speed network. On the branches concerned, other local stopping services also run using standard gauge variants of typical Japanese low speed emus and there are areas of dual gauge track traversed en route as well. The platform height is very similar on both Shinkansen and metre gauge networks although on high speed lines the edge is set back from the rail a little further so the special trains need extending gap filler steps at doors that deploy at stations on the HS line, as planned in UK. So it is no longer true to say that the Shinkansen network is WHOLLY segregated from other rail traffic in Japan. Hokkaido Shinkansen expresses also share dual gauge track with freight through the undersea Seikan Tunnel.
Except one or two exceptions. I did have the mini shinkansen in mind but then the speed there is 220km/h

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
Except one or two exceptions. I did have the mini shinkansen in mind but then the speed there is 220km/h
The E6 series units used on the Akita route can achieve 320kph where permitted on the Tōhoku Shinkansen, the main trunk line heading north out of Tokyo, as far as the junction at Morioka Station. They are technically very similar to and can keep up with full-size 'captive' E5 series units with which they often run coupled up on the main line. The E3 series used on the Yamagata route can attain 275kph on the main line as far as Fukushima, but will be replaced soon by a new E8 design capable of 300kph. Speed on the gauge converted parts of the routes is more modest clearly, and varies according to local geometry, but never exceeds 130kph. The original 400 series train developed for the Yamagata line could only do 240kph. All but one of those had been withdrawn by the end of 2009 and one driving car now remains preserved.

hwl

Established Member
How many financial organisations do you think are going to be willing to take the risk of lending a huge sum of money at a fixed rate that is roughly in line with today's interest rates and which remains fixed for 25+ years?
No problems at either of this weeks DMO auctions (Tuesday - long term and Thursday - short term)

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I've worked from home for about 7 years. It's a bit isolating but it's not disastrous. You'd get used to it.

Oh I've also worked from home for about 7 years, and I agree it's not at all bad in normal times. I quite enjoy it in fact. The problem is if you work from home AND almost all outside social life is cancelled. Especially for anyone who lives on their own too... ;)

al78

Established Member
Oh I've also worked from home for about 7 years, and I agree it's not at all bad in normal times. I quite enjoy it in fact. The problem is if you work from home AND almost all outside social life is cancelled. Especially for anyone who lives on their own too... ;)

There is also a big difference between doing something by choice and having something enforced on you.

Compare someone who chooses to live car free with someone who legally can no longer drive, who is going to be less happy with their situation?

The Ham

Established Member
The Packham application for a judicial review has been thrown out.

They mention an appeal...

Well there's a suprise, given how short the "case" has lasted so far I doubt that an appeal would result in much of a change.

As I indicated before:

They are required to be carbon neutral by 2050, the argument could be made that because HS2 produces it's carbon prior to 2050 that by being very low carbon after that point that it achieves the government's policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.