• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are trainspotters so unfriendly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As a rail enthusiast I have nothing against "trainspotters", but do recognise that a society that has branded those people as weird now expects to see them as normal at the same time. That just won't happen as the two things are mutually
exclusive.

The comment about cricket supporters (the barmy army) I find astonishing though. In my experience there may be one or two who are socially awkward but the majority are very sociable people who just happen to enjoy travelling and watching top level test cricket.

it isn't within the barmy army where you find the cricket train spotter. A carrier bag with an immaculate scorecard, a selection of different colored pens, own scoring method, memorized averages and a running commentary the Lord Boycott would be proud of normally give them away ;)

Totally odd and totally harmless.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Master29

Established Member
The comment about cricket supporters (the barmy army) I find astonishing though. In my experience there may be one or two who are socially awkward but the majority are very sociable people who just happen to enjoy travelling and watching top level test cricket.

That wasn`t actually my post. I was just quoting what theageofthetrain had written.

Master29

Established Member
One of the traits of hard core 'spotters is that they don't 'get' much humour...and that can lead to unfriendliness!

I`m not sure it was a joke and here we go again, the generalisation..... Try some research.

backontrack

Established Member
I guess some autism awareness training is on the agenda at some point ;)

I'm not autistic - and I know that because I've been asked eight thousand two hundred and ninety three times and every time... :lol:

In all seriousness, many people do think that trainspotters are always socially incompetent and it is often said that they are autistic. I think that, on the face of it, these things don't really matter that much.

Look on here for instance. I'm not autistic, and there are many other people on here who aren't autistic. But there are also many people on here who are autistic. And we still talk to them, and they still talk to us. They're still people. I remember a thread appearing where people with autism were being asked to fill in a survey about interacting with animals. Out of curiosity, I clicked on it, and I saw that people had posted to say 'I've filled this in' and suchlike.

But here's the thing: the people who had said 'I've filled this in' were people that didn't strike me as autistic. I didn't think that they were. It goes to show...something. I don't know, I'm not wording this very well (Maths revision is doing my head in) but I hope that you guys still understand what I'm saying. Basically, I'm saying that the oft-spoken trope that all train fans are autistic is a bit out-of-date nowadays, and I'm also saying that we shouldn't single people out as autistic.

Incidentally, I'd also like to point out that:

a) trainspotters

and

b) people who like trains

are completely different things. Personally, I like trains (though not like that), and it's important to stress that that doesn't make me a trainspotter (or even that much of an enthusiast). Not that enthusiasts or trainspotters are bad or anything, I'm sure that the majority are lovely people.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i think we are getting into the realms of lunacy now! After all Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian and he ordered the killing of millions so all veggies must be bad!

You... you vil go on ze list! <D

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Oh really, and this goes with your first ridiculous comment. By that standard Frank Hornby must be seen as the creator for all serial killers. Why say we need to be totally sure before we can dismiss this. A typical flat earther comment.

Yes Samms was a train spotter. So what. Fred West may well have been. Hardly conclusive is it. Let`s organise mob rule against anyone who even ever so slightly likes the sight of a train seems to be the drift of your second point, and please don`t go down the road of profiling.

You have neglected the authoritative work on the subject by Professor Humbert Flunkerer of the University of Vienna who's meticulous recording of the correlation between mass homicide and train spotting showed that train spotters were up to five times more likely to kill than the average populace.

Master29

Established Member
You have neglected the authoritative work on the subject by Professor Humbert Flunkerer of the University of Vienna who's meticulous recording of the correlation between mass homicide and train spotting showed that train spotters were up to five times more likely to kill than the average populace.

I`m sorry about that but he isn`t a regular sort of evening read is he. Up to 5 times more, oh dear, we`ve got 5 times as many potential serial killers on this forum as on your average Joe`s car forum.

backontrack

Established Member
I`m sorry about that but he isn`t a regular sort of evening read is he. Up to 5 times more, oh dear, we`ve got 5 times as many potential serial killers on this forum as on your average Joe`s car forum.

Except that they want to kill Voyagers instead of people.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
These two train spotters look perfectly normal to me, and I'm sure they have many friends ;):

Attachments

• 1797.jpg
    1797.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.