• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why aren't the platforms at UK railway stations renumbered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.o.R

No, signal numbers are assigned according to careful numbering systems that (depending on exactly which system was in force when the scheme was numbered) can indicate direction, track, whether or not the signal is 'wrong-road', function and whether or not the signal has a red aspect. They're always numbered sequentially, usually from left-to-right as seen by the Signaller (whether that be on a Frame, Panel, or VDU)

E.g around Tamworth Trent Valley: Odd Numbers apply to Down Signals, Even Number to Up Signals. 3xxx Numbers are for the fast lines, 5xxx numbers are for the Slow lines. 9xxx for Bi-Di signals facing the 'wrong' direction. 1xxx are Shunt Signals. Numbers increase increase from Rugby to Colwich, as the VDU diagram is orientated with South to the left and north to the right.

Fair enough; there didn't seem to be obvious logic to, e.g., the line of 5 signals on exit from Portsmouth & Southsea are 450, 452, 64, 426 and 270 from left to right looking towards Fratton, with 66 and 272 as the high-level starting signals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Annetts key

Established Member
Fair enough; there didn't seem to be obvious logic to, e.g., the line of 5 signals on exit from Portsmouth & Southsea are 450, 452, 64, 426 and 270 from left to right looking towards Fratton, with 66 and 272 as the high-level starting signals.
Please keep in mind that just like anything else on the railways, there are multiple different standards used at different times. Because you can’t have just one standard…
For example, Western Region had their own standard, while other regions had theirs…
And the then there is the current Network Rail standard (that I don’t like).

Prior to BR, the various different railway companies each had their own standards.

Also, mechanical signal boxes used a different system, based on the physical position of levers in the frame to make the mechanical interlocking practical.

On top of all that, alterations, additions, and recoveries, possibly followed by further changes, all could disrupt the standard numbering that was/had been in use.

Hence, why in some places, it’s hard to see a / the pattern…

I’m completely biased of course, but I did like the system used by BR Western Region.

Under this system, for controlled signals, for the up main line, the signals were given odd numbers, prefixed with the letter or letters for the signal box/panel, with the lowest being furthest away from the lowest mile post, and counting up (using odd numbers) towards the lowest milepost. So a up train would see X1, X3, X5, X7 etc.. (the X being the signal box/panel identification letters).

For controlled signals on the down main line, even numbers were used. But started counting from the lowest mile post and counted up towards the highest mile post. So a down train would see X2, X4, X6, X8 etc..

Other lines would use a similar number sequence, but would start at 101, 201, 301 etc. Freight lines, passing loops, exits from sidings or similar would use 401 etc..

Hence on the South Wales main line, B101 was on the Up Tunnel line at Pilning, with B401 nearby for the exit from the up freight loop.

At large stations, it was not practical to use different sequences for all the parallel lines. So here, signals were arranged to read left to right, increasing in turn. Hence at Bristol Temple Meads, the down direction signals at the western end of the platforms (and through lines) went B30 (platform 15, originally platform 13), B32 (down through), B34 (platform 12), B36 (platform 10), B38 (platform 8), B40 (platform 6), B42 (up through), B44 (platform 4) etc…

Automatic signals were different. They used letters derived from the line name and a number derived from the mileage. So on the up main in the area of say 154 mile post, a signal would be called UM154. Similarly the nearby down signal would be DM154.

It definitely made it easier to remember than the current Network Rail standard, which in my area has all signals prefixed with the same letters followed by a four digit number. Because the reversible or adjacent lines are included in the number sequence, a driver will not always see consecutive signal numbers on the line that they are on.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Havant is a slightly older installation with a different standard, so here odd still means down and even means up, with 2-digit numbers for the Portsmouth Direct Lines, 2xx numbers for wrong road signals on the Up and down main, 3xx numbers for the Chichester branch and Cosham line, and 4xx numbers for the 3rd side of the portcreek triangle, and for lines that don't have a primary direction in the Portsmouth Direction
OTT doesn't show shunt signals at Pompey, I think they are 8xx but may be wrong on that.

AM9

Veteran Member
;):rolleyes:

I would like one of the platforms at New Street to be renumbered 42, so that particularly annoying passengers can be directed there to contemplate the meaning of it all...
You'd have to have a platform 54 then.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
:rolleyes:

I would like one of the platforms at New Street to be renumbered 42, so that particularly annoying passengers can be directed there to contemplate the meaning of it all...

Platform 420 would be better - and it should be high, and I mean higher than existing platforms hehe

8A Rail

Established Member
Merseyrail's platform at Liverpool Lime St hasn't got a number and is not integrated with the main station's platform numbering (or its signalling).
RTT refers to it as platform L (Low Level).
Merseyrail departures are at least now shown on the main line PIS display, in a separate box.

Just been into the City Centre and I have not noticed before but over the main station entrance there is a large sign were it refers to Platform 'A' for Low Level (underground / loop line). Certainly it is a 'recent' addition especially reference to 'A'.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Just been into the City Centre and I have not noticed before but over the main station entrance there is a large sign were it refers to Platform 'A' for Low Level (underground / loop line). Certainly it is a 'recent' addition especially reference to 'A'.
Not sure when that got added, but it's been there over 18 months I'm pretty sure

plugwash

Established Member
It's been reffered to as platform "A" on on NRE live departures for as long as I can remember.

I presume with an increasing number of people using their phones for train information they got a bunch of people asking where platform A was and decided to put up a sign.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It's been reffered to as platform "A" on on NRE live departures for as long as I can remember.

I presume with an increasing number of people using their phones for train information they got a bunch of people asking where platform A was and decided to put up a sign.
Fair enough, after all I still get asked where platform X is. Today whilst on P6 I was asked where P4 is, like how hard is it to follow sequential numbers!

fandroid

Established Member
Most of Reading's platforms were renumbered in the last rebuild. Platform 4 became 7, while 4A and 4B were renumbered 4 and 5.
6 was new (I think!) and the rest going north beyond 7 were 8 to 14. So the original fudges when Reading South was closed and amalgamated with Reading General (ca 1969?) were finally corrected

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Most of Reading's platforms were renumbered in the last rebuild. Platform 4 became 7, while 4A and 4B were renumbered 4 and 5.
6 was new (I think!) and the rest going north beyond 7 were 8 to 14. So the original fudges when Reading South was closed and amalgamated with Reading General (ca 1969?) were finally corrected
It’s the additional new “Southern“ platform that is now P4, the existing pair 4A/4B became 5 and 6. The through platforms are now 7 to 15. But some of this, the bay number changes at least, was also noted in posts #32 and #173, the thread’s been running since early September so you possibly missed them.

BurtonM

Stalybridge got renumbered in 2012 when the extra platforms were added at either side - the numbers were reversed in order at the same time.

-Colly405-

Talking about reversal of number order, Bristol Parkway started with the lowest numbers nearest the station building, but now has the highest numbers near the buiding.
It opened with 1 and 2, then
1 was renumbered as 3, (as a precursor to the next changes) then
the back face of 3 was opened as 4, then
the back face of 2 opened as 1.

So it was:
- 1 2 -, then
- 3 2 -, then
4 3 2 -, then
4 3 2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.