• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why did New Clee and Grimsby Docks remain open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
I have always wondered why New Clee and Grimsby Docks remained open after Beeching Cuts . When the Cleethorpes to Grimsby Town was singled in 1993, why was it not closed then or when the area flooded in the 80’s? Was there a reason why they were saved? Elsham and Brocklesby both closed in 1993 but Grimsby Docks and New Clee were not closed or as far as I am aware never proposed for closure.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
I can't say that Brocklesby would have served much purpose once the Earl of Yarborough decided to choose the motor car over the train, and Elsham little better. I suppose the steady decline of the dock area hasn't help the numbers of the two other Grimsby stations, but they're still serving a much bigger population than Elsham or Brocklesby ever would.

SteveyBee131

According to the ORR Station Usage league tables last year:

Grimsby Docks 4,502
New Clee 1,236

Compares favourably with least used British Steel Redcar's 40, which as far as I know has no plans for closing.

daodao

Established Member
According to the ORR Station Usage league tables last year:

Grimsby Docks 4,502
New Clee 1,236

Compares favourably with least used British Steel Redcar's 40, which as far as I know has no plans for closing.

Beware that station usage figures for intermediate stations may be misleadingly low, particularly when the fares are the same as to a station further along the line. It is likely that many guards and ticket offices will just sell a ticket to Cleethorpes for passengers travelling to/from Grimsby Docks and New Clee. My own experience in South Wales was that I was frequently sold a ticket to/from Coryton when travelling to/from Whitchurch (Glam) - the fares were identical.

I presume that Grimsby Docks and New Clee have remained open because they are served by the branch trains to/from Barton-upon-Humber. Elsham and Brocklesby were only served by trains on the main line, and the only passenger service between Grimsby and Scunthorpe now is that run by TPE. However, TPE do seem to stop at some minor stations - my last rail journey was by TPE from Lee Green to Lime Street and back.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Beware that station usage figures for intermediate stations may be misleadingly low, particularly when the fares are the same as to a station further along the line. It is likely that many guards and ticket offices will just sell a ticket to Cleethorpes for passengers travelling to/from Grimsby Docks and New Clee. My own experience in South Wales was that I was frequently sold a ticket to/from Coryton when travelling to/from Whitchurch (Glam) - the fares were identical.

I presume that Grimsby Docks and New Clee have remained open because they are served by the branch trains to/from Barton-upon-Humber. Elsham and Brocklesby were only served by trains on the main line, and the only passenger service between Grimsby and Scunthorpe now is that run by TPE. However, TPE do seem to stop at some minor stations - my last rail journey was by TPE from Lee Green to Lime Street and back.

I know they very rarely check tickets between Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes so a passenger can have paid (I have done this) from Meadowhall to Grimsby Town but can go as far as Cleethorpes. It is possible that the same applies to New Clee and Grimsby Docks. Quiet possibly be that Barton Services are the only reason it is still open as Brocklesby and Elsham did not serve anywhere well populated and it was inconvenient to serve them.

Ace Of Pacer

Don’t know the answer but it’s a good question! Went to both stations last year, didn’t see anybody get on or off at either, and a walk round the area revealed very few push or pull factors. They being so close to one another and Grimsby Town I’m surprised they’ve survived.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Don’t know the answer but it’s a good question! Went to both stations last year, didn’t see anybody get on or off at either, and a walk round the area revealed very few push or pull factors. They being so close to one another and Grimsby Town I’m surprised they’ve survived.

Apparently there is a law which protects them? Also New Clee could get some new development behind it where the factories are near the docks.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apparently there is a law which protects them?

It will be the same law that protects any station. In order to close a station there is a formal process that has to be followed which costs time and money. It has been done a few times in the recent past (Angel Road in London,the most recent station to close, was earlier this year for instance) but usually the effort involved is in excess of just keeping a station open unless there is some overriding reason to go to the hassle of closing it. It's the reason that pointless stations like Teesside Airport or Reddish South survive against all logic.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
It will be the same law that protects any station. In order to close a station there is a formal process that has to be followed which costs time and money. It has been done a few times in the recent past (Angel Road in London,the most recent station to close, was earlier this year for instance) but usually the effort involved is in excess of just keeping a station open unless there is some overriding reason to go to the hassle of closing it. It's the reason that pointless stations like Teesside Airport or Reddish South survive against all logic.

The law I heard prevents closure of this particular station

geoffk

Established Member

I think New Clee has no platform lighting so trains cannot call after dark, so in winter I guess that means around 16.00. Lea Green (sic) is served by TPE as the station for St. Helens in place of St. Helens Junction. I believe the change was made because of car parking issues.

lincolnshire

I think New Clee has no platform lighting so trains cannot call after dark, so in winter I guess that means around 16.00. Lea Green (sic) is served by TPE as the station for St. Helens in place of St. Helens Junction. I believe the change was made because of car parking issues.
I think you will find that New Clee now has platform lighting which was installed a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.