• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do rail replacement bus services (nearly always) seem to have generic destination displays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
This morning at Leeds there were quite a few rail replacement bus services lined up due to ongoing engineering works between Leeds and Mirfield

One thing I noticed and have also noticed previously is despite many of the bus (or coach) replacements now having digital destination displays more often than not they just use some generic text like 'Rail Replacement' (or a rather more humorous driver elected to use 'Rail Replacement I'm a train choo choo!' :D)

It would perhaps be beneficial in my mind for the display to state the destination of the replacement service with the icing on the cake also showing the list of stops along the way to prevent literally everyone having to ask the driver or ground team 'Is this going to XYZ?!'

Or am I missing something obvious...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GordonT

It sounds a worthy aim but bus/coach operators would see it as a huge hassle and liable to cause confusion with ordinary service buses heading to the same destination.

Neo9320

Most that I’ve seen just have printed sheets stuck in the front window advising of the destination. Seems a lot less hassle than reprogramming a display system for a (hopefully) little used destination name.

Edit: I will however say that if the units in question are to be used for a long period of time (ie during major engineering works) then they (ideally) should be displaying the destination name on their systems/electronic displays.

jamesst

Arriva Merseyside nearly always have the destination on screen when covering for Merseyrail services, I cant remember seeing it anywhere else though

dk1

Veteran Member
It has always been hit/miss with RR bus displays/information. There is usually a bus coordinator around to ask/help although many seem unhappy in their job by the snappy response often given back.

PhilStockley

In my part of the world, Southampton, I would say operators generally perform well there with the vast majority of vehicles that can display destinations having them programmed.

However, sometimes it pays to use them tactically. Example: Just before Christmas I spent a couple of Sundays doing Southampton - Basingstoke. Northbound, I was the slow bus stopping at Southampton Parkway, Eastleigh, Winchester, Shawford and Micheldever, but long distance passengers needed the fast bus stopping only at Parkway and Winchester. By a quirk of scheduling I was generally a couple of minutes ahead of the fast bus leaving Southampton, so I kept a generic “SWR Rail Replacement” on the blind so that people wouldn’t see Basingstoke and jump aboard by mistake - essentially forcing people to check and enabling me to direct them to the correct bus. As soon as I left Parkway and I became the only option, I changed the blind to Basingstoke.

In theory we could have programmed the blind to say “slow bus” or “all stations” or even listed the stations, but a large proportion of RR users find the whole experience scary and unsettling and I think would have struggled to process that level of subtlety.

Long story short: Sometimes it is in the customers’ best interests to use the technology tactically, even where the facility is available.

Established Member
This morning at Leeds there were quite a few rail replacement bus services lined up due to ongoing engineering works between Leeds and Mirfield

One thing I noticed and have also noticed previously is despite many of the bus (or coach) replacements now having digital destination displays more often than not they just use some generic text like 'Rail Replacement' (or a rather more humorous driver elected to use 'Rail Replacement I'm a train choo choo!' :D)

It would perhaps be beneficial in my mind for the display to state the destination of the replacement service with the icing on the cake also showing the list of stops along the way to prevent literally everyone having to ask the driver or ground team 'Is this going to XYZ?!'

Or am I missing something obvious...

Most around my way seem to have rail replacement (or similar) on the usual destination blind, but then have a paper notice with the specific destination. Seems to work well enough, albeit I tend not to use them because they’re painfully slow!

dk1

Veteran Member
Most around my way seem to have rail replacement (or similar) on the usual destination blind, but then have a paper notice with the specific destination. Seems to work well enough, albeit I tend not to use them because they’re painfully slow!
We've started to be booked on buses again. Previously it was normally a taxi provided & during the pandemic we didn't even share a taxi with the guard. Ironicaly catering staff still had to use the RR.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Getting the various operators to have correct destinations pre-programmed is probably not a high priority.

There are a number of different types of destination equipment. Typically a list of destinations need to be programmed into them from a memory stick or other device, newer ones may have a wireless connection.

On the ones I am familiar with on bus itself there is only a small keypad to set it a code to select from the list of pre-programmed destinations was used.

It is also possible for some ticketing and AVL systems to automatically set the destination based on duty boards and ticket maxchine log-in

Established Member
We've started to be booked on buses again. Previously it was normally a taxi provided & during the pandemic we didn't even share a taxi with the guard. Ironicaly catering staff still had to use the RR.

Never happens where I am now, basically because we go too far for it to be feasible.

My old operator started to diagram drivers onto RRBs, then promptly went back to taxis when they proved too unreliable and trains started to be cancelled!

Edsmith

Ideally yes destinations should be displayed but whether anybody can actually be bothered is another matter, Southeastern often struggle to get rail replacement buses and last weekend the Bexleyheath line went uncovered with passengers advised to use local TfL buses.

jkkne

When Go North East operate Tyne and Wear metro replacements they have the terminus destination and next stop announcements on board which is always a nice touch I find.

typefish

When Go North East operate Tyne and Wear metro replacements they have the terminus destination and next stop announcements on board which is always a nice touch I find.

Doesn't help that Metro bus replacement services appear to be more in use than the Metro

YorksLad12

Established Member
The thought occurs that if it's for a long-term blockade, such as the current one between Leeds and Huddersfield, that there's plenty of time for 'proper' passenger information to be generated such as destination blinds and next calling point announcements for the visually impaired.

What there isn't in any sort of inclination. And there's probably some sort of exception in the accessibility regs as well.

dk1

Veteran Member
Never happens where I am now, basically because we go too far for it to be feasible.

My old operator started to diagram drivers onto RRBs, then promptly went back to taxis when they proved too unreliable and trains started to be cancelled!

Norwich to Ipswich/Cambridge North would be the longest for us which is 70-90 minutes.

At a company I worked for, we had the majority of destinations for at least 6 different TOC’s, along with some destinations for London Underground lines. in total upwards of at least 200 individual destinations alone just for rail replacement work alongside other work the company carried out, this obviously took some time to create and keep maintained. I will also add that certain vehicles that used a different display equipment only had generic rail replacement destinations

It was however up to the driver as to what ended up being displayed. Some drivers had the attitude of I’m just showing generic ‘rail replacement’ or can’t be bothered to actually scroll through to find the correct display.

I remember being on a South West Trains rail replacement and the bus I was driving had the destinations for the route, but when I changed it from Rail Replacement and blank black to Rail Replacement, Clapham Junction, I was moaned at by the controller and told to only show Rail Replacement blank black and must show the tiny little destination they print on paper in the window.

Personally I think it should just be in the contract spec that correct destinations are shown.

Then you also get people who see the destination but don’t realise it’s going all stations but as they’ve seen the destination they don’t want to be told it’s not their bus

I personally think a lot of things regarding rail replacement need to change to improve the service for passengers as bus drivers get no end of flack when things go wrong

Jimini

Established Member
Or you could just do this ;):

Attachments

• 0EB93DC7-E7F0-4221-A7DE-57AB5C93C901.jpeg
    0EB93DC7-E7F0-4221-A7DE-57AB5C93C901.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 89

Mothball

For the larger operators, the buses aren't usually fully allocated until the early hours of the morning, meaning someone either has to go around and update the destination on the selected buses (from a file someone has already made in the office) fairly sharpish, or the entire fleet needs updating prior to the RR work starting.
A few years ago the garage I worked for had 120+ buses, all large enough to do Rail Replacements, we reguarly did Metrolink work (Including short notice) so many of the Metrolink stops were part of the standard destination file.
When we had a few Xmas's with some 7 day+ rail work the stations were programmed in, and the fleet updated but We still got a few calls early in the morning to update buses that had been missed.
Just having generic "Rail Replacement" covers all bases and can save quite a bit of work.

MDB1images

It's hard enough getting Rail replacement coaches, let alone ones with blinds stating the destination lol

Being serious, I think Phil Stockleys post details whilst it's not always the best idea(as it can lead to people boarding the wrong vehicle), that said on straight forward RR services the vehicle should carry something on it(be it the destination blind or a paper in window with stops on it)stating its destination and stops

Andyh82

Established Member
In my impression, if it’s a bus company, and a decent one at that, they may properly programme the destination blinds

A coach firm, that probably doesn’t have a massive amount of experience of changing electronic blinds (their screens probably have a limited number of pre-set options, the name of the firm, ‘Private Hire’, ‘On Hire to National Express’ etc) are less likely to

Often the destination will be on a printed bit of A4 paper in the front window, with the calling points in a tiny font below

Working for First Travel Solutions, as a bus coordinator, I have asked the drivers multiple times why they have their blinds as generic too, apparently, it's a company that develops the blinds for the coaches that have the destinations. Working at Reading a couple of weeks ago a lot of companies had the I'm a train cho cho on. Some operators (TOCS) do not like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.