• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why does the TPE app have Metrolink stations on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ys123

When searching stations on the TPE app it brings up Metrolink stations aswell. But no fares/timetable data/live times for them. So what are they there for?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Through fares used to exist to each Metrolink stop. I think they may have been withdrawn.

Fares are still available from stations within Greater Manchester. These have moved over from the old system of lettered clusters to the new Metrolink zonal system.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Through fares used to exist to each Metrolink stop. I think they may have been withdrawn.

Fares are still available from stations within Greater Manchester. These have moved over from the old system of lettered clusters to the new Metrolink zonal system.
Oh no they haven't been withdrawn. They just use different location codes to the ones from within Greater Manchester, prefixed with GM. Useful. You are still barred from getting any discount with these fares too which is totally crazy.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Well what do you expect, why should Metrolink sacrifice revenue to the rail operator for a rail discount card?

sheff1

Established Member
Well what do you expect, why should Metrolink sacrifice revenue to the rail operator for a rail discount card?

The sort of passenger unfriendly response one would expect from Metrolink. In contrast, all other tram operators in the UK happily accept railcard discounted tickets.

WatcherZero

Established Member
They don't just do it blindly, LU for instance sets a minimum fare for railcard validity that is higher than the most expensive Metrolink fare (£8.30 for travel within LU Zones 1-6 and £18.30 when travelling into London from outside zones 1-9). Show me any local operator outside of LU where you can just buy a through ticket to one of their stops on the majority of rail ticket websites. And Metrolink already offer some discounts for people that would be elligibile for rail cards like free OAP travel after 9.30, half price for 16-18 year olds, child fares for 16-19 year olds if still in education, etc... as well as their free tram travel in city centre.

gnolife

Established Member
The sort of passenger unfriendly response one would expect from Metrolink. In contrast, all other tram operators in the UK happily accept railcard discounted tickets.
Which other trams accept rail tickets at all?

transmanche

Established Member
Show me any local operator outside of LU where you can just buy a through ticket to one of their stops on the majority of rail ticket websites.
Tyne & Wear Metro. You can buy through tickets to named stations on part of the Sunderland route. And not just to those stations transferred from NR to Metro (East Boldon, Brockley Whins and Seaburn) but the new stations on that section too (Fellgate - FEG, Stadium of Light - STI, and St. Peters - STZ).

You can also buy through tickets to Metro's Airport station (APN)

WatcherZero

Established Member
The fares are only for T&W stations that heavy Rail services pass through though aren't they and with the exception of the airport you cant get them to other stations on the line that rail services don't e.g. Callerton Parkway the first stop after the airport.

Last edited:

scrapy

Established Member
To be fair Metrolink do accept some Railcard discounted tickets.

transmanche

Established Member
The fares are only for T&W stations that heavy Rail services pass through though aren't they and with the exception of the airport you cant get them to other stations on the line that rail services don't e.g. Callerton Parkway the first stop after the airport.
For the other stations, there are fares to various Metro zones. But I don't think you'll find those available to purchase from online retailers.

Bit for the stations I listed above, yes, tickets can be bought from online retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.