• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why don't buses carry makers badges?

MCR247

Established Member
Indeed, and if you're prepared to splash that little bit of extra cash you can even have the operators name illuminated too. Eg see the Reading Buses logo above the Wright Bus W on the front of this street deck for example:

ADL also offer/used to offer a light up front panel on Enviros.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
I suspect the Volvo referred to in the quote is one that they build themselves, rather than a chassis sent to a bodybuilder such as MCV.
The BZLs delivered to Metroline have the Volvo "sash" on the MCV front panel.

Last edited:

SLC001

I cannot comment on the present situation but back in the day Manchester Corporation refused to carry makers' badges. If Daimler, Leyland or Crossley wanted their badges on the front of their vehicles they had to pay for them! No free advertising from Manchester!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just last week, Ray Stenning (prolific designer of liveries etc) tweeted on X that complaining that the new Volvo 8900 Electric bus has a big Volvo "grille slash" on its front, leaving little room for the operator's logo:
Man who designs liveries objects to there being less space to work with for his liveries... well colour me surprised! ;)

RJ

Established Member
I wanted to add some Citaro badges to my fleet for completeness. Evobus wanted £58 each plus VAT, which seemed a poor value proposition for advertising their brand, so quite content to leave the buses without them.

JD2168

Many older Wright models on the rear lost their badging as it wasn’t moulded. It was essentially paint or a vinyl - e.g. Renown’s. Notably some repainted Gemini’s lost their rear grill badging, I am led to believe this was due to the small fixings deteriorating, so they just left a plain grill and painted it black (easier to maintain).

Interestingly, some millenium Wright products had the choice of having a plain front bumper lacking the logo moulding - Lothian specified this, I am unsure why.

I notice that Wellglade have the Wright Solar’s & B7RLE’s with no badging on the front which does make them look a little different.

MotCO

Established Member
The original ADL 400s and 200s had the model name silhouetted into the boot covers which could not be stolen or removed!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Lowlander bus built to Scottish Bus Group specifications in the 1960s was badged as an Albion in Scotland and a Leyland in England, although virtually all of them were built at the same site in exactly the same way. Politics!

joieman

Wright buses (including Wright coachwork on another chassis) almost invariably has the "W" logo on the front and rear, and WRIGHT on the rear.
Yutong have the name on the side and the "wi-fi" logo on the front.
Volvo usually has the name or logo on the front (except on Wright bodywork).
Optare often has the name on the front.
Mercedes have their logo on the front.
Bus operators may have the manufacturer's branding removed if it clashes with their branding.
Trentbarton had their batch of six 09-plate Citaros delivered without badges on the front, and many of their Wright Solars and Eclipses had the Wright logo omitted on the front as well as at the rear with the Eclipses.
I noticed the two 08-plate B9TL/Eclipse Geminis had Volvo badges at the front, although one now just reads 'VOLV'!

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Trentbarton had their batch of six 09-plate Citaros delivered without badges on the front, and many of their Wright Solars and Eclipses had the Wright logo omitted on the front as well as at the rear with the Eclipses.
I noticed the two 08-plate B9TL/Eclipse Geminis had Volvo badges at the front, although one now just reads 'VOLV'!
Do kids nick bus badges like they do with cats cars, vans and trucks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Do kids nick bus badges like they do with cats cars, vans and trucks?
They used to with the AEC badges from London Routemasters. Mind you, there were nearly 3,000 to choose from. Should just add, I was too goody-two-shoes to do so myself, even if I'd wanted to, which I didn't.

Worm

Indeed, and if you're prepared to splash that little bit of extra cash you can even have the operators name illuminated too. Eg see the Reading Buses logo above the Wright Bus W on the front of this street deck for example:

I wonder how that will impact resale value

fgwrich

Established Member
Neither confirming nor denying that I have a couple of Mercedes Citaro badges from the now withdrawn FirstYork fleet…

Likewise from a Bristol VR in the South (though the operator did kindly give me that!)

I wonder how that will impact resale value

Can't imagine it would impact it that much. Just a replacement piece of fibreglass, disconnect any fuses etc. Sorted.