• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why Foreign electrics are the best locomotives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Established Member
Am I the only person who doesn't see the connection between the content of the first post and the title of the thread? I'm yet to see anything to demonstrate why 'foreign' electrics are (or are not) the best?

If people would stop going pedantic over what is a unit or what is a locomotive we might actually get somewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ukrob

Established Member
If people would stop going pedantic over what is a unit or what is a locomotive we might actually get somewhere.

But it was you who started a thread called "Why Foreign electrics are the best locomotives" without mentioning why you think that.

At last!
With the oil due to run out in 40 years time, it is going to be electric or buy a horse.
I am in the middle of an article for TR UK, which with the moderators permission I hope to finish and post a copy as an attachment.
It has two themes the swithing of at least 550 million tonnes of freight to rail, plus other possibilities. Containers ships dumping 7,000 containers(14,000 TEU) in Hamburg, means burning,130,000 gallons a day at 30knots. Slowing to 20 knots makes the logistics of a nearer port, namely Clyde Port.
That should keep the Network and Channel Tunnel busy.
Please can we also have some sense on the passenger front. Eurostars, with the ability to split into two for evacuation, when in a fire, the OLE is the first to melt, seems crazy
How about a Pendolino to Paris ?

Regards, Andrew
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
At last!
With the oil due to run out in 40 years time, it is going to be electric or buy a horse.
I am in the middle of an article for TR UK, which with the moderators permission I hope to finish and post a copy as an attachment.
It has two themes the swithing of at least 550 million tonnes of freight to rail, plus other possibilities. Containers ships dumping 7,000 containers(14,000 TEU) in Hamburg, means burning,130,000 gallons a day at 30knots. Slowing to 20 knots makes the logistics of a nearer port, namely Clyde Port.
That should keep the Network and Channel Tunnel busy.
Please can we also have some sense on the passenger front. Eurostars, with the ability to split into two for evacuation, when in a fire, the OLE is the first to melt, seems crazy
How about a Pendolino to Paris ?

Regards, Andrew
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry about the double post. Gremlins in PC or my stupidity.
The best European Locos, are either the original class 1016/1116, ' Taurus' the latter dual voltage,with 25kv added or the TRAXX series classes185/186 again the latter multi voltage
Sadly the Taurus has an attractive, but too high cab, meaning it cannot go into GB+ Gauge France.
The Bombardier TRAXX 186 would be ideal, slightly reduced in size.
If the original big German Diesel Hydraulics could be downsized to the Warships, what is stopping the powers that be.
The DfT is rapidly becoming the snail preservation society.

Andrew

Phoenix

Established Member
But it was you who started a thread called "Why Foreign electrics are the best locomotives" without mentioning why you think that.

Yes and the railjet photo was an example and I presented the facts that we don't hold electric traction in the same regard.
Honestly I start a thread then it gets sent into a completly different discussion then I get blamed for it not having a point.
I honestly give up sometimes but somebody is bound to lament me now :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
But railjet is, as I said, a red* herring- frankly, it's a face saving exercise on the part of OBB rather than have all those expensive locos sitting idle. It wasn't what the locos were bought for- they were bought for freight, and there just hasn't been enough demand for them.

*hah!

Phoenix

Established Member
But railjet is, as I said, a red* herring- frankly, it's a face saving exercise on the part of OBB rather than have all those expensive locos sitting idle. It wasn't what the locos were bought for- they were bought for freight, and there just hasn't been enough demand for them.

*hah!

Yeah and the class 17 and so was the class 58 but they managed to turn up at the wrong time in railway history so that actually has nothing to do with the loco's ability or non abilities does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.