• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is E Ticket not Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belperpete

Established Member
I am trying to book a senior-railcard off-peak return from Machynlleth to Euston a week or so in advance, with reservations. I would like to select e-ticket (print at home) as the collection option, but the only options the TfW, VTWC and XC web-sites are offering is m-ticket, collect from machine or window, or post. Any idea why they are not offering the e-ticket option? Or what retailer I could use instead that would offer it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I am trying to book a senior-railcard off-peak return from Machynlleth to Euston a week or so in advance, with reservations. I would like to select e-ticket (print at home) as the collection option, but the only options the TfW, VTWC and XC web-sites are offering is m-ticket, collect from machine or window, or post. Any idea why they are not offering the e-ticket option? Or what retailer I could use instead that would offer it?
If the flow has not been enabled for e-Tickets by the fare setting TOC, then you shouldn't be able to buy it as an e-Ticket anywhere. Trainline often do their own thing though, so might still be an option.

Belperpete

Established Member
Thanks, that would explain it. Why wouldn't they enable e-tickets? Are they trying to force people to use m-tickets? As I intend to break journey overnight on my return trip, I am not happy using m-ticket until they have sorted out the overnight expiry issue.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The fare is set by Virgin.

Fulfilment Methods for this flow are: CCST (Credit Card Sized Ticket), TOD (Ticket On Departure), MTICKET

Do not get anything other than a paper ticket for this journey!

You'd have to ask Virgin why they have not yet enabled e-tickets for this flow. Good luck getting an answer out of them though!

Belperpete

Established Member
Fulfilment Methods for this flow are: CCST (Credit Card Sized Ticket), TOD (Ticket On Departure), MTICKET
Do not get anything other than a paper ticket for this journey!
You'd have to ask Virgin why they have not yet enabled e-tickets for this flow. Good luck getting an answer out of them though!
Thanks for the advice. Virgin seems to have done this for all journeys (at least all those I have tried) from the Cambrian for which they set the fare. No point in asking Virgin to change it now, might try when the new franchise-holders take over.

I didn't realise what a pain it would be trying to buy a ticket when starting a journey from Cambrian Coast stations. E-tickets not available if travelling onto the WCML, and guards unable to sell tickets that involve cross-London transfers.

Haywain

Veteran Member
No point in asking Virgin to change it now, might try when the new franchise-holders take over.
There is every point in asking now, as it will be the same people working for the new franchisee.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thanks for the advice. Virgin seems to have done this for all journeys (at least all those I have tried) from the Cambrian for which they set the fare. No point in asking Virgin to change it now, might try when the new franchise-holders take over.

I didn't realise what a pain it would be trying to buy a ticket when starting a journey from Cambrian Coast stations. E-tickets not available if travelling onto the WCML, and guards unable to sell tickets that involve cross-London transfers.
I regularly buy tickets from stations and from machines on the Cambrian and am always able to get them with cross London availability.
Your complaint should be to TfL for their system not accepting the growing number of companies that issue non-card stock tickets.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Your complaint should be to TfL for their system not accepting the growing number of companies that issue non-card stock tickets.
Good luck persuading TfL to even think about upgrading all their gates in their current financial crisis.

plugwash

Established Member
Why? it was the mainline railways who decided to take a system that was working perfectly fine and break it by giving their staff machines that could only print the horrible "bog roll" tickets.

Clip

Established Member
Why? it was the mainline railways who decided to take a system that was working perfectly fine and break it by giving their staff machines that could only print the horrible "bog roll" tickets.

Which are lighter for their staff to carry around and a nice cost saver compared to having orange bits of card

Belperpete

Established Member
Steam Trains, VHS,Hot Air Balloons, were all working perfectly fine.
And they all still do work perfectly fine! But they were superceded by something better, whereas the card tickets have been replaced by something worse, that doesn't have the same functionality as what went before. The TOCs concerned have replaced the card-ticket machines with something they know are less convenient for passengers, won't operate underground ticket barriers, and means that their staff are now unable to sell tickets to a whole swathe of destinations. Why? Just so that they can use a slightly cheaper printer! I know who I blame for this fiasco.

Belperpete

Established Member
I regularly buy tickets from stations and from machines on the Cambrian and am always able to get them with cross London availability.
Stations on the Cambrian mainline all have either a TVM or booking office, which dispense the traditional card tickets. Most stations on the Cambrian Coast don't, and passengers from Coast stations have to buy their ticket from the guard, who now can only sell bog-roll tickets to a restricted range of destinations.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Stations on the Cambrian mainline all have either a TVM or booking office, which dispense the traditional card tickets. Most stations on the Cambrian Coast don't, and passengers from Coast stations have to buy their ticket from the guard, who now can only sell bog-roll tickets to a restricted range of destinations.
Anywhere that doesn't involve a Cross London journey isn't that restricted for everyday passengers.

paul1609

Established Member
Anywhere that doesn't involve a Cross London journey isn't that restricted for everyday passengers.
I believe it currently also excludes any London Terminal (possibly all terminals) where there is cross availability with a London Underground service.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I must be doing something wrong then, Southern and Chiltern both only offered TOD for journeys to London Terminals tonight.

Those TOCs may not have enabled those flows for e-tickets (do Chiltern have any? I don't think they do?). GWR and LNR to name two definitely have, my last journey to Euston was on an e-ticket and same for Paddington I believe.

paul1609

Established Member
You are confusing retailers with operators
I think to be honest its totally confusing. Southern will offer me an E ticket for internal Southern cross-country journeys to a South Western Station. They will also sell me an e ticket from Harrogate to Leeds (that won't work the barriers at Harrogate). Any ticket to/ from or across London they will only offer TOD. I bought an Advance from Chiltern to Marylebone tonight for tomorrow no E ticket only TOD.
How many London terminals have barriers that can accept e ticket? The only place I recall seeing them on Southern is at Brighton where you have to use 2 "special" barriers.

sheff1

Established Member

I would have thought that every day there are plenty of people who wish to travel across London using through National Rail tickets which certain ToCs have decided to stop selling.

alistairlees

Established Member
I think to be honest its totally confusing. Southern will offer me an E ticket for internal Southern cross-country journeys to a South Western Station. They will also sell me an e ticket from Harrogate to Leeds (that won't work the barriers at Harrogate). Any ticket to/ from or across London they will only offer TOD. I bought an Advance from Chiltern to Marylebone tonight for tomorrow no E ticket only TOD.
How many London terminals have barriers that can accept e ticket? The only place I recall seeing them on Southern is at Brighton where you have to use 2 "special" barriers.
London Bridge has got 14 aisles that have barcode readers. At Kings Cross I think every one of them can. Marylebone has four (I think).

radamfi

Established Member
If you have an orange credit card sized ticket with a barcode on it, can you use the barcode reader on the gate rather than the ticket slot?

ashkeba

Established Member

brfares.com shows me the fare setters. Where can I see fulfiment methods, please?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The fulfilment methods data aren't open data so I can't show it on BR Fares without possibly running into some contractual issues. I might make some inquiries about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.