• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why isn't EMU + Loco not used more for running over gaps in wired areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
I don't know how familiar people on Railforums are with the wonderful XKCD, but I offer here this little nugget from the pen of Randall Munroe:

standards.png

If you go to the page where the image is posted, there is usually some mouseover text which is relevant too.
There is also https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/927:_Standards which has a detailed explanation
For any engineering task, there are numerous ways a given problem can be solved. The more complex the task, the more room for diversity. That's all well and good for a one-off problem, but if a design is meant to be iterated over time, or if an entire industry is solving that same problem, part reuse and interoperability become issues to deal with ...

Bovverboy

Established Member
The only instance I know of the top of my head about now is the royal mail trains. I think I've seen a few times in the continent.
Surely it would be cheaper to have a few 67s sitting at uckfield han keeping two sets of stock like southern currently do
What would be the point of having 67s sitting at Uckfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.