• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why isn't light rail integrated into the UK rail network's fare structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
PlusBus was introduced because the private sector bus operators operated most rail franchises and saw rail as a way of promoting their bus businesses. Note it's plus bus not plus train. Where as most tram networks are management contracts of public sector systems.

There's quite a big difference between the tram system in Sheffield and the one in Manchester. Stagecoach offer combined tickets for their bus and tram services in Sheffield and the trams are clearly branded as being operated by Stagecoach. They also came up with the idea of replacing ticket machines with on board conductors, which has been a success. Stagecoach also won the contract to run Metrolink in Manchester (once the one with Serco expired) but realised they had to do exactly what TfGM told them to do who didn't allow them to introduce their own ideas or brand the service as a Stagecoach one, so they wanted out and sold the business to RATP so that they didn't have to continue running the service until the end of the contract.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

unlevel42

When the Sheffield to Rotherham tram-train starts running, I wonder if rail tickets will be accepted on that? e.g. Using a Rotherham to Barnsley train ticket on the tram between Rotherham and Meadowhall.

The tram train does not go from Rotherham to Meadowhall, you would need to change at Meadowhall South and catch Supertram to Meadowhall.

The Supertram is currently free for all ENCTS passes. Will the tram train be? Hard to see why not at least until the end of the current Stagecoach franchise.

tspaul26

Established Member
A free transfer by Metrolink is included for rail tickets where the journey both starts and ends in Greater Manchester, so Stockport to Smithy Bridge gets a free Metrolink transfer included but Stoke-on-Trent to Clitheroe does not.

Although if you were attempting to make that transfer on Wednesday you'd have been quicker walking - the gap between some trams finished up being 24 minutes with no reason given as to why Metrolink were cancelling services.

Pah! Business as usual for Metrolink.

I have on several occasions been obliged to wait for over forty minutes at Trafford Bar for services to Altrincham. The advertised frequency is 'every six minutes' during the day and the website and customer services both reported a 'good service' on each occasion.

They don't even publish the Metrolink timetable, which is just wonderful should you wish to work out what time to leave in order to reach Piccadilly or Victoria in time for your train. Of course, publishing the timetable would allow any idiot to work out how unpunctual and unreliable the service really is.

The reason why Metrolink is badly run is at heart very simple: TfGM is incompetent and the operator simply does what it's told in return for its management fee.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The reason why Metrolink is badly run is at heart very simple: TfGM is incompetent and the operator simply does what it's told in return for its management fee.

Which is why Stagecoach Metrolink Ltd, who were awarded the current concession, was sold to RATP.

Scotty

There are people who commute between Sale and Knutsford. In the 1980s that would have been a direct train taking around 20 minutes. In 2017 it involves a tram and a train taking 30 minutes

What are the frequencies like, now compared to then? A 30 minute journey running every 12 minutes is better than a 20 minute journey running hourly (for example, IMO).

northwichcat

Veteran Member
What are the frequencies like, now compared to then? A 30 minute journey running every 12 minutes is better than a 20 minute journey running hourly (for example, IMO).

Because that particular journey involves train+tram when previously it was train only and the train frequency hasn't been enhanced there's no real advantages and numerous disadvantages. The rail frequency between Knutsford and Altrincham is set to be enhanced in May 2018 but you could argue that may have happened sooner if it wasn't for the Metrolink conversion as the diversion of Chester to Manchester via Knutsford trains via the longer Stockport route initially caused a drop in rail usage.

Scotty

I stayed in Hale over the weekend and was shocked the line was only 1 tph in each direction (although I'm used to this back in Boston!). Getting to Manchester, it would usually be quicker to walk to Altrincham and get the tram.

johnnychips

Established Member
Google Maps says fifteen minutes walk, and they're usually quite conservative, so I think you're right.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I stayed in Hale over the weekend and was shocked the line was only 1 tph in each direction (although I'm used to this back in Boston!). Getting to Manchester, it would usually be quicker to walk to Altrincham and get the tram.

Hale's small and close to the end of the Metrolink line. Other towns are larger and not within walking distance of the end of the Metrolink line.

I walked 1.5 miles from Navigation Road station a couple of months ago opposed to changing to Metrolink and walking 0.4 miles from Timperley Metrolink stop.

Scotty

Google Maps says fifteen minutes walk, and they're usually quite conservative, so I think you're right.

I did it a couple of times over the weekend - Saturday, as I wanted to nip to the massive Tesco on the way back and Sunday after the United game. I took a route round 2 sides of Tesco and then straight on and you join up with the railway line on Victoria Road. Didn't take long at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.