• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why the fear/anger (or similar) emotions around mask wearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smidster

Are we approaching the point where it is time to close this type of thread?

After 2 years we all have our opinions on masks and their efficacy and it seems very unlikely that anyone is going to change their position (or frankly even concede the other position has merit) so we just go round in circles repeating the same points over and over.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jumble

Well I think I have made the points I want to make, even though I'm banging my head against a brick wall against such anti Maskers, time to call it a day I think.
If it makes you feel better you can always move to this Mumsnet forum
Most of the posters there believe that by wearing a mask while they are having their hair done the hairdresser will be protected against catching Omicron
I personally believe them to be deluded.

On Moderation
Sadly yes. It would appear that you have good reason to be cautious at least in the foreseeable future and I hope that things improve both in terms of your health and also the restrictions you feel you need to apply to your life.

As I say I don't like masks (and don't wear one now) but it does concern me the rather disturbing views (to the point of autistic obsession) that some members have about some of the messaging regarding face coverings from various companies.

I know the law regarding face coverings so just crack on is my view, it's better for your blood pressure!
Part of the problem has been the messaging right from the start (putting aside the "do masks work" issue). The message that masks don't protect you only others was highly damaging: was it actually scientifically proven? It seems utterly crackers that these masks are "one way" and keep the virus in if you have it but don't keep it out. That then leads to the whole "you're selfish for not wearing a mask" point of view and shaming - it's not exactly surprising that those who now don't (and don't have to) wear masks are reacting to the message!

For those who want or have to continue wearing them, crack on. But the blame game and victimisation has got to stop.

nedchester

Established Member
Part of the problem has been the messaging right from the start (putting aside the "do masks work" issue). The message that masks don't protect you only others was highly damaging: was it actually scientifically proven? It seems utterly crackers that these masks are "one way" and keep the virus in if you have it but don't keep it out. That then leads to the whole "you're selfish for not wearing a mask" point of view and shaming - it's not exactly surprising that those who now don't (and don't have to) wear masks are reacting to the message!

For those who want or have to continue wearing them, crack on. But the blame game and victimisation has got to stop.

I’d agree with that but really not getting worked up about it.

Eyersey468

Established Member

I agree

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
After 2 years we all have our opinions on masks and their efficacy and it seems very unlikely that anyone is going to change their position (or frankly even concede the other position has merit) so we just go round in circles repeating the same points over and over.

Yes I’d agree. I think we’ve done this now (and many times before).
If something big changes like they actually get banned because they either don’t do anything or we suddenly find out that they give us a superpower that we didn’t realise existed then we’ll open up a thread on it.
Until then I do believe everyone has had their say on the matter and it’s time to put this thread in the washing machine on a hot wash.

Thanks everyone ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.