• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why won't apps show all tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail

Established Member
I've been trying to book a ticket from Manchester to Lancaster for next Friday (11 Oct), leaving around 5pm and returning early Monday (14 Oct). I don't know for sure which trains I will actually catch so I want the Anytime Short Distance Return at £26.00 which is valid on any train (between 0723 and 0756 there are 4 options - TPE to Piccadilly, Northern to Piccadilly or Virgin + Northern to Victoria)

If I choose two TPE trains so I can get seat reservations I'm offered only
£23.60 any train but TPE only
or
£36.30 Off-Peak Day Single + Advance Single
or lots of Single + Advance combinations (which I don't want)

If I choose two Northern direct trains it's only
£23.40 any train but Northern only or the £36.30 combination

For an Open Return the £26.00 return is available but then I can't get a reservation on the 0723.

I presume the apps I'm using (TPE, Northern and Virgin) are using the same database. But why aren't they offering the full range of tickets? If I go on a PC browser then all the tickets are there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DC2001

I've been trying to book a ticket from Manchester to Lancaster for next Friday (11 Oct), leaving around 5pm and returning early Monday (14 Oct). I don't know for sure which trains I will actually catch so I want the Anytime Short Distance Return at £26.00 which is valid on any train (between 0723 and 0756 there are 4 options - TPE to Piccadilly, Northern to Piccadilly or Virgin + Northern to Victoria)

If I choose two TPE trains so I can get seat reservations I'm offered only
£23.60 any train but TPE only
or
£36.30 Off-Peak Day Single + Advance Single
or lots of Single + Advance combinations (which I don't want)

If I choose two Northern direct trains it's only
£23.40 any train but Northern only or the £36.30 combination

For an Open Return the £26.00 return is available but then I can't get a reservation on the 0723.

I presume the apps I'm using (TPE, Northern and Virgin) are using the same database. But why aren't they offering the full range of tickets? If I go on a PC browser then all the tickets are there.
Could you book the Anytime Short Distance Return and collect it on your outward journey and visit the ticket office to reserve seats for your return journey at the same time?

snail

Established Member
A lot of apps will only issue m-Tickets or e-Tickets , not all ticket types and flows are available on these.
This one is. If I select an open return I can get the ticket I want through the app. It's only when I try to select a specific service on the return that the choice is restricted to a TOC-only ticket or two singles.

snail

Established Member
Could you book the Anytime Short Distance Return and collect it on your outward journey and visit the ticket office to reserve seats for your return journey at the same time?
I suppose I could but that would defeat the object of using the app. If I'm going to the ticket office I may as well buy the ticket at the same time.

kieron

Established Member
This one is. If I select an open return I can get the ticket I want through the app. It's only when I try to select a specific service on the return that the choice is restricted to a TOC-only ticket or two singles.
What you described would be normal if the app didn't consider you return route to be valid with a "via Preston" ticket.

Could you say which train (or trains) you selected for this? Or at least if it includes a change, and where this was if you did? I don't have any of the apps you listed, so I don't know what sort of things they would offer around those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.