• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why you joined these forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
As many of you know, I'm an American (hopefully that changes soon)

I've been a train enthusiast since I was 3 years old. I originally joined a NYC subway-based forum called Subchat. 85% of the people there were friendly and knowledgeable. However, the other 15% were obnoxious and/or bigoted. They called people who disagreed with them stupid and other words that I can't post. They also insulted African-Americans. I was a member of Subchat from 2004 to 2012. After all of the years of cyberbullying, I just got sick of it.

I inadvertently stumbled upon the London Tube Series. After watching all 6 episodes, I fell in love with both the Underground and the city of London. 2012 was also the year where the Olympics took place in London. I quickly realised that unlike NYC, London is a friendly city where everyone gets along, regardless of their skin color. 5 days after I left Subchat, I joined this forum.

I've applied for my passport. If all goes well then I'll visit the greatest city in the world next year.

I hope that all goes well. London is a great place, with the oldest tube system in the world and one of the most extensive. You can get books with all sorts of weird and wonderful facts about the network in them. In fact, the London Underground has become synonymous with London itself - and with good reason. We have other tubes as well. Newcastle has a metro system, for example, Liverpool has an underground system, and Glasgow has its own subway. A lot of places - Birmingham/Wolverhampton, Manchester, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Croydon, Blackpool and Douglas - have tram networks.

Britain's railway network is rivalled by no other. It is very extensive, more so than the US network, and used to be even more extensive before one Dr. Richard Beeching came along. But we still have some very scenic and beautiful lines; from Leeds to Carlisle through the Yorkshire Dales; from Newcastle to Edinburgh along the Northumberland coast; from Shrewsbury to Pwlheli hugging the Cambrian coast; from Lancaster to Carlisle on the Cumbrian coast; from Shrewsbury to Swansea through the heart of Wales; from Exeter to Torbay via Devon's last line of defence against the sea; from Preston to Glasgow via Lakeland and the summits of Beattock and Shap; from Glasgow to Mallaig, past lochs and mountain vistas, skirting our highest peaks; from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh and Wick, through rugged scenery and marsh to reach Skye or Britain's northern tip; these are the rail journeys that set Britain apart from the rest, that almost no country can parallel.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gutfright

But we still have some very scenic and beautiful lines ... from Glasgow to Mallaig, past lochs and mountain vistas, skirting our highest peaks;

Although the start of that journey, from Queen Street until Dalreoch is just a speck on the horizon, is anything but scenic and beautiful, unless one enjoys looking at decaying, junkie-infested tenements and hideous concrete high-rise flats :o

backontrack

Established Member
Although the start of that journey, from Queen Street until Dalreoch is just a speck on the horizon, is anything but scenic and beautiful, unless one enjoys looking at decaying, junkie-infested tenements and hideous concrete high-rise flats :o

Perhaps, but the North Clyde Line is worth suffering for a short while in order to spend hours on the good bit.

tsr

Established Member
That's not the impression I get...

I'd say it's amazing just how tolerant people are, given just how busy, fast-paced and diverse life is in London compared with pretty much anywhere else I know.

I wouldn't say everybody gets along, far from it, but you're probably far more likely to have an argument with someone you know well, than for you to do something to a stranger in London which actually makes them do something about it! The fact that those in London keep themselves to themselves when they need to is amazing, but it probably is also the reason why you have so many diverse communities with different skills and talents, often a matter of metres away from each other. And that's a good thing, because by no means everything about London or any other city is perfect.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'd say it's amazing just how tolerant people are, given just how busy, fast-paced and diverse life is in London compared with pretty much anywhere else I know.

I wouldn't say everybody gets along, far from it, but you're probably far more likely to have an argument with someone you know well, than for you to do something to a stranger in London which actually makes them do something about it! The fact that those in London keep themselves to themselves when they need to is amazing, but it probably is also the reason why you have so many diverse communities with different skills and talents, often a matter of metres away from each other. And that's a good thing, because by no means everything about London or any other city is perfect.

London is a great place to live if you have a high-salaried, apparently secure job or the wealth not to have to worry about such things. Housing is the key and, unfortunately, that key has long been lost with absolutely no prospect of it being found or some sort of replacement issued. The old inner areas like Hoxton and Kennington where people could find housing and work reasonably near to home have now been, or are being, gentrified out of the scope of ordinary working people, so people have to make longer and longer journeys from where they can find (just about) affordable housing in outer boroughs or neighbouring counties, but often without security of tenure. Thus traffic congestion grows and puts added pressure on already-crowded rail and tube services.

It is commonplace to describe our First World War troops as being lions led by donkeys, as though we are far too enlightened now to fall for that again. I have not heard a single politician, let alone political party, who has any answer to the problem, so donkeys and asses are what I would describe them as.

fowler9

Established Member
Far too many people in London already, it needs to build up. But us Brits love our gardens. Ha ha.

[.n]

Mainly because Usenet is dieing. Been aware of this forum for years but mainly have spent time in uk.r and uk.t.l for years.

EssexGonzo

I was a regular rail commuter for 20+ years and love understanding a bit more about how our infrastructure works (and sometimes doesn't) behind the scenes.

As well as wanting to know when we'll get some 321s with aircon and less rattly doors!

Status
Not open for further replies.