• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wi-Fi Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcheek

Established Member
I know that some TOCs have installed wi-fi connectivity at certain stations and on certain services. but does anybody know where I can get a complete list of stations and trains that are covered?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
ALL NXEC Services are covered, and so is the one HST that AXC have borrowed from NXEC.

Erm, Plymouth has Wifi, as does Kings X, not sure about anywhere else though

theblackwatch

Established Member
NXEC has installed free Wifi at York station. As 6rdfar90 mentions, there is Wifi at Plymouth station - but like other FGW stations where it is available you have to pay. One of these is Exeter, and they have a lounge which is especially designed for laptops, with power points - it'll cost you £2.99 for 30 mins though, or I think it was £4.50 for an hour.

me123

Established Member
Livewire can confirm that Wi-Fi is in York, and NXEC are looking to install it all through the network. They don't give specific timescale, though. Sadly, I lft the mag on the train so I can't remember everything in the article :(

Gizmogle

Established Member
I think Exeter St Davids also has Wi-Fi, but I'm not sure if it's free or not.

mrcheek

Established Member
Maybe i should alter the question:
On which trains and at which stations is there FREE wi-fi? Im not going to pay extra for it!

apparently AXC plan to have free wi-fi on all services within 3 years. anybody got any ideas on their progress?

NXEC have free wifi on ALL services. It's generally really good now, but was a bit dodgy when it first rolled out.

Southern have it on some peak hour services, but I've not used it.

AXC are MEANT to be installing it on all trains and it will be free in First chargable in Standard. This was a franchise commitment at the announcement of the Franchise, what state its at at the moment I have no idea. Its all gone quiet on that front since the franchise announcement. Going back to 2005, Virgin did have a Voyager that had all of the equipment up and running internally, but there was no external link up, just the routers internally, same with a 390 which had the routers installed, both of which I was on and picked up the Networks.

WiFi on stations is usaully chargable except York, but all NXEC First Class lounges are free, so the best thing to do is to find the lounge, park up outside and use away as if you were in the lounge.

dan_atki

Established Member
List of Southern Stations at the bottom of this page;
http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=333

Southern said:
Southern Wifi enabled stations -
CLAPHAM JUNCTION (over bridge)

:lol: Sorry I have to laugh when I see that - who in their right mind would get their laptop out and sit down on CLJs footbridge!

Not only would it be of great inconvenience to all the passengers following the flow system of the station for someone to be sitting there blocking the way, it would be greatly inconvenient, uncomfortable, and look a bit suspicious. Then the laptop would probably get stolen - after all a London Assembly report within the last two years said that CLJ was the 2nd station worst for crime out of those in zones 2-6... (in case you're interested ECR was first! Yes, rather shocked me too).

Maybe i should alter the question:
On which trains and at which stations is there FREE wi-fi? Im not going to pay extra for it!

Certainly NXEC after they scrapped the charge when they got the franchise.

TOCs that charge are currently Southern and FGW. Although the latter's site says Paddington has a range of existing connections already so maybe one of those is free.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I read something a while ago saying that Reading had Wi-Fi, although I'm not sure if it's free.

Paddington and Heathrow Express services have it, but you gotta pay for it. It's definately not worth the money if you ask me.

Also, Virgin West Coast have been talking about putting Wi-Fi in their FC coaches for ages now.

mrcheek

Established Member
on a related note, has anybody ever used one of those Asus notebooks? they're like mini-laptops, cost around £200, and are designed mainly for portable internet use. Im considering getting one. anybody know if theyre any good?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Hahaha, my Mum bought one on Monday!

I must say, they're rather great! It's the Asus Eee you mean, yes?
The only complaints I have on them, is that they don't work very well at all with WPA-PSK, the battery life isn't brilliant for such a portable laptop, and also, we got the 4gb one, but with the operating system and all the features, the storage space left isn't that much.

Apart from that, it really is a brilliant little laptop.

1D53

Established Member
Any station with a Nat Ex services in, preferably terminated. Should be able to connect to the onboard wifi from quite a distance away!

mrcheek

Established Member
Hahaha, my Mum bought one on Monday!

I must say, they're rather great! It's the Asus Eee you mean, yes?
The only complaints I have on them, is that they don't work very well at all with WPA-PSK, the battery life isn't brilliant for such a portable laptop, and also, we got the 4gb one, but with the operating system and all the features, the storage space left isn't that much.

Apart from that, it really is a brilliant little laptop.

I saw somewhere that theyre listed as having "2.8 hours" battery life, which is pretty poor. I wonder if thats an average, or maximum time possible? If youre using it to stream video or something, will it be less? Actaully, is the whole thing good enough to stream video? Or audio? Or is it only good enough to view basic webpages?

I guess the whole point is not to use the storage space. I already have a desktop and a laptop, just want something nice and portable for rail journeys. Last time I did an ALR it was a nightmare having to check all my emails and stuff late every evening when I really just wanted to get some sleep!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, I think I read it as 2.5hrs. You can turn the Wi-Fi off, sound off and screen dimmed if you want to save battery. I imagine it means the average is 2.5/8 though.

It's great for surfing the net. The keyboard is a little small and fiddly though. I haven't tried yet, but it should stream videos fine, although I think that it's probably drain the battery a little more.

paul1609

Established Member
:lol: Sorry I have to laugh when I see that - who in their right mind would get their laptop out and sit down on CLJs footbridge!

Not only would it be of great inconvenience to all the passengers following the flow system of the station for someone to be sitting there blocking the way, it would be greatly inconvenient, uncomfortable, and look a bit suspicious. Then the laptop would probably get stolen - after all a London Assembly report within the last two years said that CLJ was the 2nd station worst for crime out of those in zones 2-6... (in case you're interested ECR was first! Yes, rather shocked me too).

I think the wifi works on quite a bit of CLJ I've used it is the coffee shop on Platform 13.

The Southern Service is actually very good it works on all the 377/3 trains not just on the Brighton Line. Its part of the T mobile hotspot system so if you're a regular commuter its not too expensive. The quality is very good I've sucessfully streamed video via skype to another member on here throughout my commute from Littlehampton to Portsmouth.

Its certainly much better than whats was on offer on GNER- Ive not been on NXEC recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.