• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan to Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

gord

I'm thinking of using a Lancashire Day Ranger next week. In order to the make the most of the day, I've decided it may be cheaper to book an advance ticket to Wigan so I can get there in the morning peak and get an off peak single for coming back in the evening. That way I'm not having to stress about catching a specific train at the end of the day. This comes to around £32 altogether (same as an off-peak to Manchester). I could simply go to Manchester but the peak fares and morning advance fares are significantly expensive. And I don't want to wait for the off peak returns to Manchester to become valid in the morning because I'll lose most of the morning by the time I get there.

However, it would be nice to have a bit of flexibility for the return to save me finding a way back to Wigan, so I've been playing around, I found that for a couple of quid more, I could purchase a St Helens to Wolverhampton single and also have Lime Street as an option coming back. Or for a few quid more, chose Blackburn then have Manchester as an option. My question is though, is it necessary to do this? Would a Wigan to Wolverhampton single be valid via Lime Street or Piccadilly anyway? I did look at a straight forward Liverpool/Manchester to Wolverhampton off peak single but they are surprisingly expensive, particularly the Manchester one.

Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
NRE allows Wigan-Manchester-Wolves, but (unsurprisingly) not via Liverpool.

gord

Many thanks. Just found another possibility of getting north in the morning peak. Buying an anytime day return to Manchester but splitting at Stafford won't be much more overall than an off peak return from Wolverhampton to Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.