• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan - Uckfield with limited mobility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathew S

Established Member
Looking for some journey planning advice / suggestions.

My (older) parents, one of whom now uses a wheelchair for anything more than short distances, have been invited to a wedding in Uckfield on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend. They're no longer able to travel by car, and would like to make the journey by train. Journey planners suggest Wigan NW - Euston, London Bridge - Uckfield; so far so good. I have no experience of travelling by train with a wheelchair user, and they have never been further south by train than Birmingham (or at least not for many years).

I know it's too far ahead of time for things like engineering work etc. to be confirmed yet, but if anyone has any inside knowledge about whether journeys that weekend (Friday 25th - Monday 28th August) are likely to be affected by alterations, that would be hugely appreciated.

And, more importantly really, I'd love any hints or tips anyone might be able to offer my parents about travelling with a wheelchair, booking assistance, the stations and specific journey in question, and so on.

They've had a really rough couple of years, and I want to try to make this as positive an experience for them as I can.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Journey planners suggest Wigan NW - Euston, London Bridge - Uckfield; so far so good.
Using Thameslink from St Pancras, catching a train to East Croydon, and changing there for Uckfield, preferably with same platform interchange at East Croydon is likely to be the easiest way across London.

This leaves the matter of getting from Euston to St Pancras, and what the mobility support for such a journey is. In theory, a taxi the short distance from Euston to St Pancras could be best, even though for able bodied passengers it is a five to ten minute walk.

I know it's too far ahead of time for things like engineering work etc. to be confirmed yet, but if anyone has any inside knowledge about whether journeys that weekend (Friday 25th - Monday 28th August) are likely to be affected by alterations, that would be hugely appreciated.
It certainly isn't uncommon for there to be engineering work on the West Coast on Bank Holiday weekends, although that wouldn't affect the Friday.

telstarbox

Established Member
For this situation I would suggest a black cab between Euston and London Bridge. The ranks at both ends are step-free outside the station and the taxis take wheelchairs.

Veteran Member
For this situation I would suggest a black cab between Euston and London Bridge. The ranks at both ends are step-free outside the station and the taxis take wheelchairs.
Plus book assistance for the whole journey. It doesn't have a 100% track record, but apart from Wigan the transfers are all at termini.

I would watch out for engineering works south of the Thames - at least Southern no longer operate a Sunday service on the Uckfield line on Bank Holidays as that adds an extra change at Oxted.

dmncf

Would Southern's services from Watford Junction to East Croydon be helpful?

Mathew S

Established Member
Oh, possibly. I hadn't noticed that Watford Junction has been added as a stop on the via Birmingham Avanti's. Yes, that might actually be one way of solving the crossing-London issue. Thank you!

Veteran Member
If they want to avoid the cab ride and don't mind the considerably longer journey time, certainly - the connections work comfortably southbound but northbound is uncomfortably tight.at 8min.

Status
Not open for further replies.