• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan Wallgate <> North Western connection time

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Wondering what the official minimum connection time is between Wigan Wallgate and North Western. I know I can do it in a couple of minutes, but if my inbound train to Wallgate is late would the 10 minutes connection that I am allowing be accepted by VT to travel on a later train from North Western?

It’s avoidable if I buy an Anytime ticket to Wallgate instead of Off Peak and get an earlier train from Southport, but out of curiosity and to save £1.45 (Day Return with railcard) I wondered what the view would be if I were to miss my connection at North Western. I am booking the two legs separately both for price and to avoid the Burscough hike!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Each station has 5 minutes interchange time and the connection for the link between the two is 1 minute: http://www.brtimes.com/#!board?stn=WGN&date=20190502 making the total conneciton time 11 minutes.

You can plan a through itinerary using a website such as NRE or FastJP.com, you can use the latter specify to change at the Wigan stations and avoid changing at Burscough Bridge.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Add a couple of minutes if purchasing a pie at Galloways on the way (well reccomended).

Or a couple of hours if stopping off at the Wigan Central for some beers and a scotch egg.

trainophile

Established Member
Haha nice plan! Still can’t decide whether to do Lancaster and Carnforth in the same day trip, but time would be a bit tight if I do. Been to both of them before a few times, just thinking about how to kill a spare day.

I might go to Morecambe again :D 8-) .

djpontrack

Or a couple of hours if stopping off at the Wigan Central for some beers and a scotch egg.

Definitely recommended.

Haha nice plan! Still can’t decide whether to do Lancaster and Carnforth in the same day trip, but time would be a bit tight if I do. Been to both of them before a few times, just thinking about how to kill a spare day.

I might go to Morecambe again :D 8-) .

Carnforth is always interesting and you have got the snug micropub at the station.
If you are coming to Morecambe, I can recommend the Little Bare micropub. It’s a few minutes walk from Bare Lane station.

Status
Not open for further replies.