• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the Sheffield Barnsley Leeds line have Pacers running on it tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Baker

Good morning forum users,

I'm from a BBC Radio 4 programme, Broadcasting House. For an item we're working on, I'm trying to plan a trip on a Pacer train tomorrow, travelling from Sheffield to somewhere else to connect with another service returning to London. However, the RMT strike is making planning more difficult than usual. Will the Sheffield-Barnsley-Leeds line have Pacers running on it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am unsure about tomorrow specifically but in general the stopping trains are usually Pacers. I've never seen a via Barnsley fast to be operated by a Pacer that I can recall. But of course anything is possible.

If you can provide details of the train(s) you wish to catch, we can probably get the allocations for you on the day.

T Baker

Thank you very much. Would the stopping train be the one that stops at Meadowhall and Wakefield?
We would probably aim for the 12.50 or 13.50 service.

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you very much. Would the stopping train be the one that stops at Meadowhall and Wakefield?
We would probably aim for the 12.50 or 13.50 service.
No, that is the semi fast service operated by 158’s or occasionally a 150. The stoppers stop everywhere and go via Castleford and are normally 144’s but 142’s do appear

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The stoppers do not appear to be in the system for tomorrow, so it looks like they won't run.

T Baker

Yes, it's proving difficult to work out which Pacer service from Sheffield we might be able to catch tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far.

Veteran Member
The Sheffield-Barnsley stoppers at xx06 might produce a pacer, as might Barnsley-Huddersfield and Huddersfield-Wakefield.

Iskra

Established Member
The Sheffield-Barnsley stoppers at xx06 might produce a pacer, as might Barnsley-Huddersfield and Huddersfield-Wakefield.

All those are incredibly likely to be pacers. The 2 Barnsley services are usually 144's, the Wakefield is normally a 142.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd have thought the Hope Valley stopper (to Manchester) was most likely to produce a 142 - especially the true horror of the Merseyrail pacer !

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd have thought the Hope Valley stopper (to Manchester) was most likely to produce a 142 - especially the true horror of the Merseyrail pacer !
A superlative suggestion sir, with just two minor flaws.

One, the service isn't running on this date. And two, this service isn't going to run.

Now I realise that technically speaking that's only one flaw but I thought that it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice. ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A superlative suggestion sir, with just two minor flaws.

One, the service isn't running on this date. And two, this service isn't going to run.

Now I realise that technically speaking that's only one flaw but I thought that it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice. ;)

Oh I'd forgot about that. These days it would be easier to list which trains are actually running !

robbeech

Established Member
There likely will be pacers running out of Sheffield today, an easy option that wouldn’t kill too much time would be to sit there and wait for one and then get on it. Just be aware of limited services so getting back / where you need to may take a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.