• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the Wolverhampton station redevelopment finally happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's reported by BBC News today that HM Government have committed £13.5m to the much-delayed redevelopment of Wolverhampton station.

Wolverhampton Railway Station wins £13.5m revamp funding

A project to redevelop Wolverhampton railway station is to get £13.5m of government funding.

David Cameron made the announcement during Prime Minister's Questions, in response to a query from local MP Paul Uppal.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-31930392

I think this was the last piece of the puzzle?

IIRC Virgin Trains have committed, Centro have committed, Wolverhampton City Council have pulled a few coppers from their pocket... might it actually happen now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
I hope so.

I was looking at the plans the other day and thought the only thing missing is an entrance from the tram stop directly onto platform 5.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I hope so.

I was looking at the plans the other day and thought the only thing missing is an entrance from the tram stop directly onto platform 5.

And a direct link from Platform 4 to the Great Western PH. Would knock about 6 minutes off the walk, enabling one to get another swifty of Bathams.

ic250

That visualisation of the new station looks absolutely hideous. I'd say its worse than what we have already.

Is it a final design?

Zoidberg

Established Member
I hope that the upgrade includes better provision for dropping off and picking up.

Congestion in and around the facilties currently provided is totally unacceptable at times, with vehicles queued back through the traffic lights to the ring road.

dvboy

Established Member
It would move to the other side of the car park, accessible from Corn Hill.

A proper entrance on the Great Western side isn't a bad idea really, but I can't see it happening. There will however be access added to the footbridge from the new building to be built on the other side of platform 6.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I suppose that the fact that the announcement came from a planted question to the PM did not escape any one's notice. There is an election soon.

Let's see how things develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.