• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wimbledon Traincare Depot

AY1975

Established Member
AIUI historically Wimbledon Traincare Depot complex has consisted of two separate depots: East Wimbledon Depot at the Earlsfield end of the complex adjacent to Durnsford Road sidings, and Wimbledon Park Depot at the south end of the complex adjacent to Wimbledon Park sidings (and Wimbledon Park station on the District Line).

I believe that the South Western Division (now South Western Railway) suburban EMU fleet used to be officially allocated to East Wimbledon rather than Wimbledon Park Depot, although in practice units have always been stabled in both East Wimbledon and Wimbledon Park depots and their adjacent sidings. Not sure if the same distinction is made nowadays, though.

Is one of the two depots there more of a stabling point and the other more of a maintenance location? I believe that the wheel lathe is in Wimbledon Park Depot, and a new wheel drop building was opened there in 2014. Looking at Google Maps this facility would appear to be adjacent to East Wimbledon Depot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
From the casual enthusiasts passing glaze (both from the train and the 156 bus), Wimbledon Park seems more stabling. The the layout appears more ‘stable-y’ and as someone who can pass by multiple times a day, I’ve often seen Wimbledon Park fill up post morning peak with empty stock and then empty out as the evening peak arrives, whereas East Wimbledon stock often seems to be there all day. East Wimbledon depot always seems to be the only location where I’ve seen units split in half which (to me) suggests move ‘heavy’ maintenance.

But as I say, only a passing observer.