• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Winchester to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosehead

Is it allowed to use a Winchester to London Terminals ticket (off peak with a Network Rail card) via Basingstoke and Reading?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Yes - I do it often.

Get the XX:31 XC to Reading and catch a HST and on the way back stop off and visit the Three Guineas at Reading station for a quck one.

Last edited:

thefab444

Established Member
Indeed it is. You can save a couple of quid by splitting tickets at Basingstoke (£26.50-ish compared to £29.00 off peak).

wintonian

Established Member
Depends,

The super off peak return from Basingstoke is only valid via Woking so:

Super off peak return Winchester to London - £17.35

Off peak return Basingstoke to London (valid via Reading) - £12.55
Off peak return Winchester to Basingstoke - £4.90

Making the super off peak 10p cheeper compared to £17.45

But if you are arriving in London before 12:00 then:

Winchester to Waterloo off peak return - £19.15
A saving of £1.80 when spliting at Basingstoke as above.

All fares are railcard fares.

Obviously Peak tickets will cost more but you can still save by spliting at Basingstoke and they should be valid via Reading.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You will only save 5 - 10mins so depends where you are heading to.

If you are going up Sun morning I would go via reading as the trains will be packed with fans off to Wembley - if you didn't allready know and are not going. :)

Last edited:

moosehead

Yes I'm off to Wembley (leaving Sat pm and back Sun pm), but as I regularly travel from Winchester to London then the Reading option is well worth knowing anyway thanks. Does it apply to season tickets too?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes I'm off to Wembley (leaving Sat pm and back Sun pm), but as I regularly travel from Winchester to London then the Reading option is well worth knowing anyway thanks. Does it apply to season tickets too?
Yes, there are no 'Route Woking' seasons according to Avantix.

wintonian

Established Member
On Sun PM I think I'm going to hang arround in London untill late evening ish depending on the weather, so I can relax on the train home without standing for 1 & 3/4 hours.

moosehead

Yes it could be a bit crowded, Southampton are taking 44,000 fans. Thanks for the Paddington info!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That worked brilliantly, thanks guys.

For others it was a fiasco. People waiting at Eastleigh couldn't get on the first two trains and so people were getting taxis to pick up the train at Totton. Curiously, they were told that Basingstoke/Reading wasn't an option (I assume they were using Super Off-peak, but were told by the guard 'on a day like this it probably wouldn't matter').

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For others it was a fiasco. People waiting at Eastleigh couldn't get on the first two trains and so people were getting taxis to pick up the train at Totton. Curiously, they were told that Basingstoke/Reading wasn't an option (I assume they were using Super Off-peak, but were told by the guard 'on a day like this it probably wouldn't matter').
I can't see any fare from Eastleigh to London routed Woking, and there are no restrictions on Super Off Peak tickets at weekends.

wintonian

Established Member
I don't think there are fares routed 'Woking' this side of Basingstoke.

I was going to take the same route via reading but on arriving at Winchester and hearing of the chaos from one of the SWT guys of hundreds of people being left behind at Central and parkway I jumped in a taxi and to Alton and got a seat and got chatting to some guys on the way up who me and a mate has a beer with in London.

The guard on the train said a couple of times over the tannoy that he was in the middle of the train, would be walking through checking tickets and as the train was so busy (straight after Alton) 1st had been declassified. Odd as when I went to sort out changing my tickets I had already bought he/ she wasn't there and everyone had a seat with quite a few spare. Another example of SWT guards disappearing into thin air and locking themselves away with the PA equipment. :roll: <(

So rather naughtily I used my Winchester ticket to get out at Waterloo and came back on it to Winchester – well I did try to get it changed and when I asked someone at Alton I it was OK to buy a ticket on the train (train was about to leave) he just kept saying the machine was broken (didn’t seem to have a clue and clearly wasn’t bothered), would this be the one on the train or the one at the station? But no “the machine doesn’t work,” yes but WHICH one? - I never found out. <(

But hey we won so I don't realy care any more :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think there should be any problem using a ticket from Winchester on the Alton line in such circumstances, I can't imagine anyone would have a problem with that. The Alton ticket would be cheaper.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
I had people with Surbiton tickets get on at Shepperton when it went base over apex on the mainline, if its valid on the day its good enough for me when its gone wrong.
No 1 priority is move people, no 2 get service back to normal.

moosehead

So...if I'm travelling from Winchester to London via Reading, am I also allowed to use the Reading to Waterloo services? Not that it makes much sense of course - but would I be allowed to split my journey anywhere between Reading and Waterloo?

wintonian

Established Member
Should be, using maps CS + WX via STAINES and TWICKENHAM or HOUNSLOW would seem to be ok, if any one was thinking of explaining the routeing guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.