• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Winter Sunday Trains to Llandudno... Coming Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Just received a tweet from TfW confirming that all year round trains will be serving Llandudno from December 2019. Seems odd that the summer service ends in September then a two month gap before the ‘all year round’ service commences?

Carol from TfW also confirmed that the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch will also operate all year round, and an extra round trip will be added, making four return journeys in total on Sundays.

Great news for the booming North Wales tourist industry.

Does anyone know if Llandudno and/or Blaenau Ffestiniog have ever had winter Sunday trains previously?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
maybe its to complete any outstanding engineers works before an all year round service

TheWalrus

Established Member
I think near enough everywhere should have a Sunday service, providing it gets used.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Does anyone know if Llandudno and/or Blaenau Ffestiniog have ever had winter Sunday trains previously?
2d53's website shows some high season shuttles to Betws y Coed in the early 60s, to Blaenau in the mid 70s, and again in the late 80s/early 90s. No sign of winter services down the Conwy valley.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As it's a Sunday, don't think TFW will have problems getting the one unit required for what is a basic hourly shuttle Llandudno-Llandudno Junction.

https://tfwrail.wales/sites/tfwrail.wales/files/2018-11/PTT 4 2.pdf

There are no problems providing a unit in the Summer. It's worked by a 175 off 1934 Cardiff to Llandudno Jn (Sat) which stables at the junction overnight imn the Bay Platform (2), and which in Winter attaches to 0845 Holyhead to Crewe

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Excellent news, I have been writing to anyone that will listen for a good few years now, since the shops became 7 days a week, pubs became 7 days a week etc, winter Sundays at Llandudno Junction always have a decent size queue for taxis to Llandudno as after a Saturday night when most taxi drivers work there are limited numbers that work Sunday daytimes so often I team up with a few other passengers to share a taxi into Llandudno.

This will be a welcome relief as I am normally tired enough when returning on a Sunday to be hanging around at the Junction

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Very good news - especially as there was a discussion on here recently about the NW Coast and the seemingly fall in traffic , marketing inertia etc etc ....

I hope the locals and visitors use it ...!

gazthomas

Established Member
I wonder whether this would be a good use of a 230, rather than have a 175 or its future replacement shuttling between Llandudno and the Junction. It wild also save on trips to Chester, maybe 6D/LJ could be back on the map :)

krus_aragon

Established Member
I wonder whether this would be a good use of a 230, rather than have a 175 or its future replacement shuttling between Llandudno and the Junction. It wild also save on trips to Chester, maybe 6D/LJ could be back on the map :)
Once the 230s are ready they'll be running Llandudno to Junction as part of the Conwy Valley service anyway.

Though I suspect you meant to say 6G: wasn't 6D Chester?

Robert Mann

It's about time they finally introduced all year round Sunday trains. Whenever I want to travel on the Sunday at the moment I often have to get a lift to Llandudno Junction to catch a train there. So many times I've seen people at the station on Sundays wondering why there's no trains running too.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
It's about time they finally introduced all year round Sunday trains. Whenever I want to travel on the Sunday at the moment I often have to get a lift to Llandudno Junction to catch a train there. So many times I've seen people at the station on Sundays wondering why there's no trains running too.

That reminds me of a memorable passage from Bill Bryson's "Notes From A Small Island" detailing his attempts to travel from Llandudno to Porthmadog on a Sunday. I wonder if anything's changed since he was there?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...wdonia-transport-enjoys-soap-opera-Welsh.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.