• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wirral Line - lots of semi-fast services recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I've noticed on Merseyrail's twitter feed the last week or so, that almost every day there are trains passing non-stop through several stations due to late running, particularly on the Chester line.

This only seems to be happening since the completion of the track renewal programme.

This is unlike Merseyrail, they are usually the height of efficiency give or take the odd occasion. Wonder what's causing the problems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
It was the Open Golf Championship at Royal Birkdale until yesterday, so may be this was something to do with it? I believe some trains yesterday, at least, were just running shuttles to and from the course

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've noticed on Merseyrail's twitter feed the last week or so, that almost every day there are trains passing non-stop through several stations due to late running, particularly on the Chester line.
This only seems to be happening since the completion of the track renewal programme.
This is unlike Merseyrail, they are usually the height of efficiency give or take the odd occasion. Wonder what's causing the problems.

Yes I've been on one of those recently.
Train from Chester 8m late at Hooton, announced next stop Moorfields, but in fact picked all the time by Birkenhead Central, and then stopped normally.
Don't tell the folk who were turfed off at Hooton!

It's not obvious what the delays are, the renewed section seems just like the old.
Any problems will be magnified by the short turn-round at Chester.
The tactic seems to be to run the Chester fast from Hooton to catch up, and let the following Ellesmere Port train pick up normally.
The E Port has a longer turn-round so is less likely to be late.

Apart from the new slab and track that is visible in the stations, the only new thing about the journey is that somebody has changed the adverts up the escalator at Lime St... ;)

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Problem is, on the Chester branch there's a lack of layover time, trains are timetabled for a 4 minute turnaround time at Chester, so even any small delay has a knock on affect, i regally see Chester branch trains running 3-4 minutes late on the Liverpool loop, which then affect timekeeping of other Wirral line trains as well as Chester trains.

Loop & Link

Combination of very heavy passenger loading on these services causing loss in running as well as cumulative below threshold delays on each trip causing reactionary above threshold delay to its next workings and other services.

Same on the Northern Line tonight. 1944 running direct from Central to Hunts X.

Root cause 2S49 lost time below threshold and got the route into Southport ahead of 2U54, 2U54 lost further time (below threshold) en route. Therefore, semi to Hunts Cross.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Its interesting that they have moved heavily towards this approach. When I was a kid, late running was fixed by either turning short or cancelling outright and stepping up, never do I recall ever seeing a station skipped.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It was the Open Golf Championship at Royal Birkdale until yesterday, so may be this was something to do with it? I believe some trains yesterday, at least, were just running shuttles to and from the course

On Sunday 23 July there was Strike action as well as the last day of The Open. Merseryrail only operated Liverpool Central to Southport.

Its interesting that they have moved heavily towards this approach. When I was a kid, late running was fixed by either turning short or cancelling outright and stepping up, never do I recall ever seeing a station skipped.

Hopefully someone who knows more about it than I do will be along shortly to explain how PPM is influencing these decisions. Why would you cancel outright *and* step up?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hopefully someone who knows more about it than I do will be along shortly to explain how PPM is influencing these decisions. Why would you cancel outright *and* step up?

I maybe used the wrong terminology but meant, say, cancelling the otherwise delayed xx:00 and moving the train that was going to work it to the xx:15 and so on.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I maybe used the wrong terminology but meant, say, cancelling the otherwise delayed xx:00 and moving the train that was going to work it to the xx:15 and so on.

There's also the "hot spare" train Merseyrail keeps at Birkenhead Central in the off-peak.
That is sometimes mobilised during disruption, but maybe just a single train being late doesn't trigger it.
Ironically, the service was more reliable during the loop blockade, because Ellesmere Port trains were cut back to a Hooton shuttle, and there was more turnround time at each end (southbound trains also ran earlier).

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Stepping back ;)

Stepping up units results in them departing on a diagram before they were due to, stepping back they depart on a later one.

JamesP

There's also the "hot spare" train Merseyrail keeps at Birkenhead Central in the off-peak.
That is sometimes mobilised during disruption, but maybe just a single train being late doesn't trigger it.
Ironically, the service was more reliable during the loop blockade, because Ellesmere Port trains were cut back to a Hooton shuttle, and there was more turnround time at each end (southbound trains also ran earlier).

Indeed. At Chester the incoming terminating service would often be held for a couple of minutes north of the station until the previous departing service had left, then have the best part of 15 minutes turnaround time when it arrived.

trainophile

Established Member
Last one I promise, but yet again...

Merseyrail‏Verified account @merseyrail 18m18 minutes ago
More
1728 Southport to Hunts Cross will no longer call at Hillside, Ainsdale, Freshfield, Hightown, Hall Road and Blundellsands & Crosby.

I should alter my heading as it's not just the Wirral Line now :( .

Crossover

Established Member
On Sunday 23 July there was Strike action as well as the last day of The Open. Merseryrail only operated Liverpool Central to Southport.

Ah, that explains a lot - hadn't realised there was industrial action too. That said, it wasn't even quite a through service. In the morning, Southport to Hillside in service, then empties to Central. Back in service to Hillside and empties to Southport. I presume, though haven't looked in detail, that this was reversed for the end of the day

8A Rail

Established Member
Last one I promise, but yet again...
Merseyrail‏Verified account @merseyrail 18m18 minutes ago
More
1728 Southport to Hunts Cross will no longer call at Hillside, Ainsdale, Freshfield, Hightown, Hall Road and Blundellsands & Crosby.
I should alter my heading as it's not just the Wirral Line now :( .

It is Merseyrail's way of playing catch up if a train(s) have been delayed for what ever reason - this is how they get back on schedule and drivers dont run out of hours in consequence because of the delays.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is Merseyrail's way of playing catch up if a train(s) have been delayed for what ever reason - this is how they get back on schedule and drivers dont run out of hours in consequence because of the delays.

And I suppose it's going to affect fewer people than an outright cancellation as used to be the practice.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There'll be plenty more semi fasts on the Chester line today! For example, the 1501 off Chester,the later 1801 and the 2000

Ironically, just weeks after a six-month track renewal program, we have a broken rail on the Loop according to NRE :lol:

Several trains skipping the Liverpool stations completely even after repairs, turning back at Birkenhead Central.

IMG_6451.jpg

(Image text: 1345 from Liverpool Central to Chester: Journey leg cancelled: This train has been cancelled due to a broken rail)

Last edited:

Established Member
the only new thing about the journey is that somebody has changed the adverts up the escalator at Lime St... ;)

Bizarrely the manufacturer of those poster cases for Merseyrail made a job lot with the Port Sunlight Advert on a vinyl on the back - so no advert stuck in, the Port Sunlight one shows through.... Five of these are currently next to the escalators on Metrolink at Manchester Picc with the blue and white Port Sunlight advert still showing, good as new. :lol:

JamesP

There'll be plenty more semi fasts on the Chester line today! For example, the 1501 off Chester

Ironically, just weeks after a six-month track renewal program, we have a broken rail on the Loop :lol:

Several trains skipping the Liverpool stations completely even after repairs, turning back at Birkenhead Central.

View attachment 33863

(Image text: 1345 from Liverpool Central to Chester: Journey leg cancelled: This train has been cancelled due to a broken rail)

That's at least the third track fault in the loop in the last couple of weeks.

Loop & Link

As mentioned above axle counter failure has been the cause, these delays are communicated as track fault, admittedly a bit confusing after the line has been renewed but absolutely nothing to do with the work over the past 6 months.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As mentioned above axle counter failure has been the cause, these delays are communicated as track fault, admittedly a bit confusing after the line has been renewed but absolutely nothing to do with the work over the past 6 months.
Thanks for clarifying.
:)

D1009

Established Member
Yes I've been on one of those recently.
Train from Chester 8m late at Hooton, announced next stop Moorfields, but in fact picked all the time by Birkenhead Central, and then stopped normally.
Don't tell the folk who were turfed off at Hooton!
Wow, wish I'd been there. I could have relived my youth when steam hauled trains routinely ran non stop from Hooton to Rock Ferry!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Seemed alright yesterday, I didn't notice any skip stopping, even though the trains were running 3-5 minutes late.

Status
Not open for further replies.