• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Ummm.
Has anyone let the depot know?
Surely as training on them is ongoing they are expecting to use them at some point....though wouldn't be the first time staff found out something through weekly updates rather than being briefed I guess.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
“Fleet confirmed Shrewsbury launch is in 2-3 weeks” - pretty sure the depot is already aware as it seems likely it was sent out through internal comms?
I can only presume they work at said depot and haven't had any formal notification as of yet. I'm on the LNR side of the company and new stock updates have been in our weekly newsletters for a few months now. Maybe WMR side haven't been getting such updates.

43102EMR

Established Member
I can only presume they work at said depot and haven't had any formal notification as of yet. I'm on the LNR side of the company and new stock updates have been in our weekly newsletters for a few months now. Maybe WMR side haven't been getting such updates.
Ah fair enough then - I’m surprised as there was a staff open day at WVH the other week, which is where I presume some of the WMR team would have been told; that and these ones will be entering service on the WMR side! :D

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Ah fair enough then - I’m surprised as there was a staff open day at WVH the other week, which is where I presume some of the WMR team would have been told; that and these ones will be entering service on the WMR side! :D
I think they said around 150 employees went to that open day, there's still likely to be a question mark for exact date. LLCs should find out next week or the week after I'd have thought to sign off the diagram amendments (if they haven't already been done).

I do think this may be one of the issues of WMT splitting the team into WMR/LNR, we've asked for more updates on stock from our side and get loads of updates, WMR maybe don't get the same

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Any further information to the whereabouts 196114 is please? Is it still at the factory in Newport South Wales or has it moved by road somewhere? It's the last unit to arrive if it hasn't already.

These 5TXX paths running on the slaop at the moment will these become ghost paths and be able to board them? STP paths I was told the other day. So run if required basis? I was told this the other day and found it interesting. Any information would be great.

Undiscovered

Any further information to the whereabouts 196114 is please? Is it still at the factory in Newport South Wales or has it moved by road somewhere? It's the last unit to arrive if it hasn't already.

These 5TXX paths running on the slaop at the moment will these become ghost paths and be able to board them? STP paths I was told the other day. So run if required basis? I was told this the other day and found it interesting. Any information would be great.
The tangos roughly follow the xx13 paths from the before times.
WMT kept them because it's easier to keep, rather than surrender and recoup.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
'Mid October' is now launch date, with a soft launch for a few days.

1st diagram will be as follows (date unknown)
5G05 Tyseley - Shrewsbury
1G05 0651 Shrewsbury - New Street
2J06 0800 New Street - Shrewsbury
1G14 0911 Shrewsbury - New Street
5G14 New Street - Tyseley

All 12x 2car units signed off to WMT now, 4x 4car outstanding.

Last edited:

Roger B

All 22x 2car units signed off to WMT now, 4x 4car outstanding.
Shouldn't that be all 12 2-car units?

Herefordian

At long last. Hopefully worth the wait.

fgwrich

Established Member
So at last, those in the West Midlands can enjoy the unique CAF ride! o_O
To be fair, after 10 years of 172s, they should be used to it by now!

Anyway, it’s good to finally hear of some progress with the fleet at last. I see there was another Long Marston to Tyseley move yesterday - presumably with at least 1 if not 2 of the 196s.

Covshire1

To be fair, after 10 years of 172s, they should be used to it by now!

Anyway, it’s good to finally hear of some progress with the fleet at last. I see there was another Long Marston to Tyseley move yesterday - presumably with at least 1 if not 2 of the 196s.
Just 196106 moved yesterday.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Who cares about armrests? Not me.

CAF-quality ride? I don't have any concerns there. I don't have any concerns on 195s, I don't think I will on 196s either. Bring on the new trains I say, I will even be willing to pay for an Anytime fare to give them a go on the Shrewsbury line in a couple of weeks' time. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what we were due in 2020!

I need a Joe Swanson (from Family Guy) clip here:

:D :lol:

Roger B

Agreed. Armrests not being included is a tad disappointing however the improvement over the 170s makes it worth it. Can’t wait for them.
Excuse me for perhaps being a bit slow off the mark, but in what way are the 196s improvements over 170s - I've generally found the 170s to be well-appointed units: well-aligned and wide windows, good legroom, reasonable (or better) seat comfort, fairly nifty acceleration and top-speed, and effective suspension - smoothing our the bumps and kinks of encountered track geometry.

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not knocking the 196s (nor could I, having yet to travel on any), but I'm just curious to understand the basis for stating that the 196s ares uch an improvement over the 170s before they've entered service and anyone (outside the industry) has had a chance to sample them in service. That said, I'd be very happy if the case can be made for the 196s - if they're even better than 170s, there's going to be more than a few delighted punters.

Liam L

Excuse me for perhaps being a bit slow off the mark, but in what way are the 196s improvements over 170s - I've generally found the 170s to be well-appointed units: well-aligned and wide windows, good legroom, reasonable (or better) seat comfort, fairly nifty acceleration and top-speed, and effective suspension - smoothing our the bumps and kinks of encountered track geometry.

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not knocking the 196s (nor could I, having yet to travel on any), but I'm just curious to understand the basis for stating that the 196s ares uch an improvement over the 170s before they've entered service and anyone (outside the industry) has had a chance to sample them in service. That said, I'd be very happy if the case can be made for the 196s - if they're even better than 170s, there's going to be more than a few delighted punters.

Just going off what I’ve seen from pictures and when I’ve seen them out and about testing on the network . I will give my final verdict when I get on one.

Myself personally think they will be an improvement, Charging points, better information screens etc which I find useful and what the 170s lack. Obviously I can’t speak about seat comfort or ride quality and other bits as I haven’t been on one yet.

MaidaVale

As a regular user, The 170s are simply tired and in need of an overhaul or extensive refurbishment when they head to EMR. Even ignoring aesthetical/comfort/presentational issues, you've got the lack of decent PIS (with no automated announcements, let alone any other mod-cons), interconnecting carriage doors that barely function if working at all, accessible toilets with extreme reliability issues, and probably the biggest kicker of them all, the fact that you can't get between the two coupled sets (which nearly all services run as), which is a particular issue on the lines they run with the short-platforms and general overcrowding.

The 196s will be a highly welcome sight, admittedly they won't be perfect, but a damn-sight improvement over the current stock.

Liam L

As a regular user, The 170s are simply tired and in need of an overhaul or extensive refurbishment when they head to EMR.

Hopefully it isn’t too long till that happens as it’s needed as you mentioned but that’s a conversation for a different thread

anamyd

On Moderation
Depends whether or not you value armrests.
Even though arm rests are obviously for the resting of arms, for me they just dig in and get in the way. It actually annoys me when the ones the window side of the window seats are fixed down - it's like they were thinking "why would you not want it down? the ones that do go up only go up to let you get in and out".

As a regular user, The 170s are simply tired and in need of an overhaul or extensive refurbishment when they head to EMR. Even ignoring aesthetical/comfort/presentational issues, you've got the lack of decent PIS (with no automated announcements)...
I don't understand why WMR didn't have the 170 interiors refreshed in their style for nearly 5 years of operation (2017-2022), even though TfW did on their outgoing units. Nor get the automated announcements working (because 170s can actually do them, like the Julie Berry ones like the 172s, but they are/were only used by some operators).

To keep this on topic, I'm looking forward to the 196s as they seem to be well thought out with the layout and specification, and the quick acceleration and braking will be ideal for the stopping services as well.

Obviously I can’t speak about seat comfort or ride quality and other bits as I haven’t been on one yet.
I'm guessing it'll probably be like sitting on 755 seats on 195 suspension.

Last edited:

Liam L

I don't understand why WMR didn't have the 170 interiors refreshed in their style for nearly 5 years of operation (2017-2022)
[/QUOTE]

I’d imagine there no point in refreshing stock you’re getting rid of. Obviously the 323s were done up when they had C6 and PRM a few years ago.

QSK19

The 196 introduction has, quite frankly, been a shambles from the beginning. Not only in terms of the introduction itself, but also how it has affected other parts of the network: EMR has been denied 170s that it desperately needs in order to address shortformed cancelled services; and in turn Northern has gone without the 156s that it needs.

Once the fleet has been introduced and bedded in, there must be some sort of inquiry in order to ensure that a such a farcical introduction can’t be allowed to happen again.

ANTONOV 12BP

The 196 introduction has, quite frankly, been a shambles from the beginning. Not only in terms of the introduction itself, but also how it has affected other parts of the network: EMR has been denied 170s that it desperately needs in order to address shortformed cancelled services; and in turn Northern has gone without the 156s that it needs.

Once the fleet has been introduced and bedded in, there must be some sort of inquiry in order to ensure that a such a farcical introduction can’t be allowed to happen again.
With the inauguration of GBR in the near horizon which will essentially be under the grips of DfT’s hands, i doubt we’ll even see any introduction of new rolling stock for years to come. Thus it should be out of the equation altogether :lol:

GWVillager

Excellent news! Does the 'soft launch for a few days' mean that there will be a large launch event later on?

So at last, those in the West Midlands can enjoy the unique CAF ride! o_O
That had somehow escaped my thoughts for all this time - I'm not so enthusiastic about these trains now!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

A little harsh. Who would you ultimately blame for delays? WMT would happily have had them out on time an sent the 170s to EMR given they're both Abellio contracts.

COVID pandemic? After all, social distancing and lockdowns had a major impact.
ASLEF? Using COVID as an excuse to slow the process down
CAF? Units simply weren't fit for service on delivery and struggled to complete fault free running for months on end.
WMT? Deciding to use CAF for their units almost purely for their lower cost
DfT? Forcing WMT to order DOO units which needed retrospectively fitted door panels as no agreement was ever going to be signed off for such operation.

There does need to be questions asked, absolutely, and the whole process of commissioning through to entering service surely needs looking at. Not as if 196s are the first to suffer such delays, and won't be the last!

Excellent news! Does the 'soft launch for a few days' mean that there will be a large launch event later on?

That had somehow escaped my thoughts for all this time - I'm not so enthusiastic about these trains now!
I think there will be some media on the official launch date whenever that is, but they seem to just want to introduce slowly incase any issues arise. I know there are adverts planned (video and posters), which were changed from the originals to focus more on what these new units offer