• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Should be from Mon 3rd April but only one diagram. Worcs/New St/Malvern/New St then ECS to Tyseley. Back out later to do Worcs/New St/Worcs.

Oh nice, not much longer to wait then :) Sounds like that's an early morning diagram, returning in the evening for a couple of peak extras? Even so, it'll be nice to see them coming this way, granted it's not to Hereford yet but progress sounds pretty good right now :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam L

Should be from Mon 3rd April but only one diagram. Worcs/New St/Malvern/New St then ECS to Tyseley. Back out later to do Worcs/New St/Worcs.
0625 WOS-BHM, 0720 BHM-GMV, 0836 GMV-BHM
1750 BHM-WOS, 1850 WOS - BHM, 2000 BHM-WOS are the timings

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
0625 WOS-BHM, 0720 BHM-GMV, 0836 GMV-BHM
1750 BHM-WOS, 1850 WOS - BHM, 2000 BHM-WOS are the timings
Thanks for this.

So by then we’re looking at all 196s on Shrewsbury and one 196 on Herefords? Well, only one diagram is 170s on Herefords, plus I think one peak only one, so SURELY they won’t have an excuse to cling onto the final 170s much longer then?

170UTD

Thanks for this.

So by then we’re looking at all 196s on Shrewsbury and one 196 on Herefords? Well, only one diagram is 170s on Herefords, plus I think one peak only one, so SURELY they won’t have an excuse to cling onto the final 170s much longer then?
They certainly can't hang on to them past the May TT change, EMR need them so they aren't short when the 156s stand down

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
They certainly can't hang on to them past the May TT change, EMR need them so they aren't short when the 156s stand down
I suspect once the peak extra settles down it'll be the 170 diagram (1039 off Hereford is one service included) to release them to EMR.

Liam L

Last I heard, they was keeping them till December… but not sure if anything changed since then

Plus considering the 172s are suppose to be put back on the snow hill lines for longer formations.

newtownmgr

Supposed to be gone by May now. Should be at least 2 196 diagrams by May based at Worcester which will replace both 170 diagrams. Introduction will be every few weeks from Worcester whilst training is ongoing. Training taking longer at Worcester due to the amount of drivers requiring training plus having to relearn/learn Hereford sidings behind Shrub Hill.

Undiscovered

Has a 196 ran from the middle road to Plat 1B at Shrub Hill yet for gauging?
While it may have run for gauging purposes, it (or units) may not have run for practical purposes.
There's now a lot of issues being discovered regarding PRM ramps, running paired and unpaired 2car units (196/0 sets).

newtownmgr

While it may have run for gauging purposes, it (or units) may not have run for practical purposes.
There's now a lot of issues being discovered regarding PRM ramps, running paired and unpaired 2car units (196/0 sets).
If one was to run from the middle road into the platform through the scissors as we call them, it would normally be ECS only for the depot. Only a 2 car would be able to do it & enter passenger service due to signal sighting & length. All services should be a 4 car off Worcester.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
If one was to run from the middle road into the platform through the scissors as we call them, it would normally be ECS only for the depot. Only a 2 car would be able to do it & enter passenger service due to signal sighting & length. All services should be a 4 car off Worcester.
Are we not going to see 2x2s on Hereford services then?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
First of all, in my opinion this is the ugliest front end I've ever seen
You can’t have seen a 730 then…

3307FDA5-CB75-4B8D-B84A-09E56C1C7357.jpeg

Not my picture.
Picture shows 730002 at Barnt Green in orange and purple WMR livery. Grey skies.

Are Leamington Nuneaton the only services that will be booked for a 2 carriage 196, I’m assuming all Shrewsbury and Herefords will be 4 or 6?

Also interesting to note the first 196s on Hereford line won’t actually go to Hereford, but Gt Malvern furthest West initially.

I wonder why taking the arguably much less pleasant 172s off of the short Leamington line and running 196s on it was chosen to bolster the Snow Hill rather than just putting a coupled pair of 196s in place of a 172 diagram on the Snow Hills and then using those 172s to strengthen othrt diagrams. I suppose one benefit is the 172s are exclusively on one route as a result and the Snow Hill is served by a single stock type, but a 196 would be far nicer for a long journey from Stratford to Kidderminster than a 172 if it was available.

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
You can’t have seen a 730 then…

View attachment 131458

Not my picture.
Picture shows 730002 at Barnt Green in orange and purple WMR livery. Grey skies.
From that angle, I don't think the 730 looks ugly at all, and I'm not sure even the 196/197 front-end is quite as ugly as a 380. But then I am perhaps in the minority as I think 150/2s are better-looking than 150/1s.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I wonder why taking the arguably much less pleasant 172s off of the short Leamington line and running 196s on it was chosen to bolster the Snow Hill rather than just putting a coupled pair of 196s in place of a 172 diagram on the Snow Hills and then using those 172s to strengthen othrt diagrams. I suppose one benefit is the 172s are exclusively on one route as a result and the Snow Hill is served by a single stock type, but a 196 would be far nicer for a long journey from Stratford to Kidderminster than a 172 if it was available.
Far less train crew to train up at Leamington than Snow Hill for one, whereas any Snow Hill diagram could be covered by say a Stourbridge conductor so would need to train up that depot too.

Never had an issue of sitting on a 172 from Stratford to Kiddie or a Malvern to Moor St, so not sure most would mind either of the 2 tractions.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
From that angle, I don't think the 730 looks ugly at all, and I'm not sure even the 196/197 front-end is quite as ugly as a 380. But then I am perhaps in the minority as I think 150/2s are better-looking than 150/1s.
I don't personally think the 196 looks ugly at all. I agree 380s are revolting looking, far worse than 385s that normally get the hate, and I agree 150/2s are nicer than 150/1 in terms of aesthetics.

Is there an estimated month/quarter for full 196 operation on Shrewsbury and Herefords does anyone know please? :) Summer looking realistic?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Are Leamington Nuneaton the only services that will be booked for a 2 carriage 196, I’m assuming all Shrewsbury and Herefords will be 4 or 6?
Presumably yes. All Shrewsbury and Herefords will be 4. Can't have 6 currently due to the aforementioned ASDO isolation.

sonic2009

Established Member
Are the 196s cleared to run via Kidderminster and Stourbridge for when diversions happen when the route via Bromsgrove is closed?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Are the 196s cleared to run via Kidderminster and Stourbridge for when diversions happen when the route via Bromsgrove is closed?
Almost certainly will be. There are a very limited number of daily services between Worcester and Birmingham New St that run via Kidderminster (using Smethwick West Jct), so clearance will be required for these services even before diversions come into play (unless these services aren't being retained).

DavidGrain

Established Member
I saw a 196 on the Stourbridge Line when they were first tested so they must have been cleared. Also it was reported in the early days that one Worcester diagram would see 196s on the Stourbridge Line.

william.martin

On Moderation
Yes, I have in fact witnessed testing them at Jewelry Quarter.
Is there an estimated month/quarter for full 196 operation on Shrewsbury and Herefords does anyone know please? :) Summer looking realistic?

Not sure about Herefords although Shrewsbury already are where possible and from about May when we lose a few more 170's it will probably be 196's regardless on the Shrewsburys.

Last edited by a moderator: