• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

AlexNL

Established Member
That's absolutely ridiculous they can't be turned off or altered, what if the train needs to make a last minute alteration and skip a station or something of that sort?
The driver may have some buttons at their disposal to influence what Doris says. Or it might be connected to the internet, and alterations made by control get pushed to the PIS system immediately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Undiscovered

Interesting. That's absolutely ridiculous they can't be turned off or altered, what if the train needs to make a last minute alteration and skip a station or something of that sort?
If the driver is so inclined, they'll try and reprogramme the system. Generally involves hammering buttons on a very unresponsive touch screen, so most will just sack it off as a bad day.

Guard could try and alter the system, but it's very problematic from the back cab as any input to the onboard system, from anywhere other than the driving cab, is classed as a system error, and is likely to dump the brake. Therefore, we don't bother and resort to verbal anouncements.

LowLevel

Established Member
The lack of user friendliness and functionality of railway passenger information kit on trains really does have to be experienced to be believed. It truly is rubbish. Much of that can be explained by the fact that it's 20 year old tech but the nearly new 19x units have no such excuse. I know the idea is that it is meant to work seamlessly automatically, and therefore manual intervention shouldn't be needed - but it doesn't.

rogercov

196008 on test/training run between Tyseley and Nuneaton via Leamington Spa. Seen here today at Coventry Arena. This service ran yesterday and today. It may be the first time a class 196 has been up this line (unless you know different).

I was intrigued to hear the automatic station announcement announce it as the "11:38 to Nuneaton" despite not being in passenger service. This may have confused those on the platform who were waiting for the 12:04. I didn't see whether they tried to board.

Attachments

• 196008-CAA-230511.jpg
    196008-CAA-230511.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 58

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Does anyone know whether the 196s will commence full weekday diagrams on Herefords from this week in line with the 170 wind down... or will it still be next Sunday at the earliest?

boxerdog

196008 on test/training run between Tyseley and Nuneaton via Leamington Spa. Seen here today at Coventry Arena. This service ran yesterday and today. It may be the first time a class 196 has been up this line (unless you know different).

I was intrigued to hear the automatic station announcement announce it as the "11:38 to Nuneaton" despite not being in passenger service. This may have confused those on the platform who were waiting for the 12:04. I didn't see whether they tried to board.
There's been previous runs of class 196s over the route, just not in daylight....

Snow1964

Established Member
The lack of user friendliness and functionality of railway passenger information kit on trains really does have to be experienced to be believed. It truly is rubbish. Much of that can be explained by the fact that it's 20 year old tech but the nearly new 19x units have no such excuse. I know the idea is that it is meant to work seamlessly automatically, and therefore manual intervention shouldn't be needed - but it doesn't.

Is it a case of it doesn't work seamlessly on the train, or that Control when amending skipping patterns are often busy and don't enter it properly on systems, because in past there were no consequences.

Question of is train not working properly, or is it doing its job, but control staff aren't doing 100% of their job so feeding wrong data.

newtownmgr

Friday will see a pair of 196’s covering the current 170/172 diagram starting with 2B00 05:56 Worcs - Hereford. This will allow the 170/172 to cover the current 196 diagram for the AM only to get the 170 back to Tyseley. The evening part will be 196’s as booked leaving 2 pairs at Worcs ready for Monday morning. There should be a 196 diagram from Sunday starting with the 10:05 Worcs SH-New St

Liam L

So to confirm the 170s finish on WMR rails at around half 9 (or whatever time the service arrives into New Street) on Friday Morning?

And will the 196s be covering the 'current all day 170 diagram' all day on Friday?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
So to confirm the 170s finish on WMR rails at around half 9 (or whatever time the service arrives into New Street) on Friday Morning?

And will the 196s be covering the 'current all day 170 diagram' all day on Friday?
Yes to both. Unsure if we'll have a 2nd diagram Saturday yet.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
196101 has returned from over a month and a half off, does anybody know where it went?
The 196/1s are the four-coach versions right? If I recall it was mentioned that they were having to be modified with guards’ panels in the intermediate vestibules so they could operate from stations such as University. Perhaps that unit was away for such modifications?

AJDesiro

The 196/1s are the four-coach versions right? If I recall it was mentioned that they were having to be modified with guards’ panels in the intermediate vestibules so they could operate from stations such as University. Perhaps that unit was away for such modifications?
196/1s are the four coach variants. I believe they’ve already got placeholders covering up the area that the guard panels need to be installed into, so it should presumably be a rather fast job.

william.martin

On Moderation
196/1s are the four coach variants. I believe they’ve already got placeholders covering up the area that the guard panels need to be installed into, so it should presumably be a rather fast job.
Interesting, I will try asking on trainlogger as I don't see why it would be gone for so long.