• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Covshire1

NUCKLE line has descended in chaos for the last two days. Both cl196 diagrams cancelled for most of the afternoon and evening. Does anyone know what's going on? Unit issues or just lack of trained drivers / guards??

HST274

More like they are stabled in scummy areas.
I wouldn't say Worcester is particularly scummy, although the industrial area around shrub hill is admittedly not very pleasant. I was just disappointed that someone went to the effort to hop a fence and cross multiple tracks just to do a black scrawl- no colour or anything ;)

GalaxyDog

NUCKLE line has descended in chaos for the last two days. Both cl196 diagrams cancelled for most of the afternoon and evening. Does anyone know what's going on? Unit issues or just lack of trained drivers / guards??
Unit issues. As usual. They've been better behaved on the Shrewsbury line recently, but now we await to see how they react to the extreme heat - correspondent at Shrewsbury in tears and laughing when last winter, the units refused to start up in the cold snaps "because the computers didn't like it".

M60lad

Not to sure what its doing down there but there's another one that's been partly graffitied that's been stabled in sidings at Camden for the past week as can be seen on Camden Junction Railcam.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Not to sure what its doing down there but there's another one that's been partly graffitied that's been stabled in sidings at Camden for the past week as can be seen on Camden Junction Railcam.
Is it definitely a 196 and not a 730? Be strange to have a 196 down there

AJDesiro

Are you sure that’s not a 730?

1D54

004 & 010 on the Nuneaton - Leamington services today.

12:18 Dep from Nuneaton (2G77) has been cancelled. Wonder if 004 has failed.

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
12:18 Dep from Nuneaton (2G77) has been cancelled. Wonder if 004 has failed.
Ouch to the possible failure!
RTT is saying train crew
1686397543125.png

AJDesiro

Nope, Sunday is mixed traction, I think....
I don't really think anyone knows what's going on, I've heard very mixed messages as to what will be happening at weekends, with some reports saying Sunday afternoons will include a 172 diagram, with others saying Saturday's will be full 172s.

Philip

On Moderation
I travelled on one today for the first time, no complaints about the interior but, it seemed very sluggish accelerating up the Lickey incline; is this normal and if so why for such a new train? How do they compare on this stretch with the other diesel trains which run along here?

Liam L

I travelled on one today for the first time, no complaints about the interior but, it seemed very sluggish accelerating up the Lickey incline; is this normal and if so why for such a new train? How do they compare on this stretch with the other diesel trains which run along here?
Most diesel units are sluggish going up the incline TBF. Would be interesting to know what the highest speed a 196 has reached at the top of the hill.

LowLevel

Established Member
The Lickey is a hell of a bank and anything will be sluggish from a standing start. Nothing at all is built to start from 0 and accelerate to linespeed up 2 miles of 1 in 36.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Most diesel units are sluggish going up the incline TBF. Would be interesting to know what the highest speed a 196 has reached at the top of the hill.
If I had to take an educated guess I would think the performance would be similar to the 172s due to the similarities in drivetrain; certainly faster than the 170s but not as fast as a 323.

DavidGrain

Established Member
i was on a Chiltern train this morning through Leamington when I say a 172 pull out from platform 4. Presumably 2G77 to Nuneaton although the timings in RTT do not quite tie up. As we left Leamington I saw the nose of a 196 behind the platform buildings which would have been behind the 172 on platform 4. It then looks as if that then ran as 5H50 to Tyseley.

bnsf734

196004 and 196010 are still on the Nuneaton - Leamington Spa run today. That is their third week on the service, so I don't think anything different worked Sunday. I certainly saw the 1237 departure from Nuneaton as a 196 yesterday but did not see the other service.

Thanks to Part time Spotter for the gen today as always.

newtownmgr

If I had to take an educated guess I would think the performance would be similar to the 172s due to the similarities in drivetrain; certainly faster than the 170s but not as fast as a 323.
The 196’s at present are still in eco mode. Performance up the bank is between a 170 & 172.

newtownmgr

Will eco mode ever be turned off? If it is, will they outperform 172s up the bank?
Supposedly. Not sure if I’m honest. If they do i don’t think they will be much quicker. The above is with 2 x 2 car. A proper 4 car might perform slightly better.

boxerdog

Supposedly. Not sure if I’m honest. If they do i don’t think they will be much quicker. The above is with 2 x 2 car. A proper 4 car might perform slightly better.
The default mode as listed in the traction manual is not 'eco', but they're currently running in this mode, which I think makes them slower than a class 172. This may be to do with something to do with the transmission, conversely it may not be the case....