• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Trainee Driver Training Schedule

Is anyone on here able to divulge information on what the schedule for training looks like in terms of time frame and salary for Birmingham depots.

I have tried my best to search on this forum for details regarding this and it looks like there is a starting salary around 30k which increases at certain point in the training program.

Time frame wise it would appear rules and regs training takes place in Birmingham then practical at chosen depot.

It would be really helpful if someone in the know or who has been through it could enlighten me on what to expect in terms of schedule and salary.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
We do not have information on this particular Birmingham opportunity. However in our own experience, trainee shunter/drivers for depot works who by definition do not have cummulative years driving trains are nevertheless able to improve their salary expectations if they can demonstrate they have gone through some proper accredited training that is recognised by the industry.
We have experience of designing and delivering such rail operations training courses for construction projects and depots around the UK, but I am sure there are others and you should do some shopping around and find out what is best for you.
Usually it is worth the investment unless the Birmingham depots won't consider you have acquired some decent knowlegde through training to agree to adjust/improve your salary, of course.
What on earth

stXeve

30k lots of time in the classroom for about 3/4 months doing rules and traction training then you'll end up doing your hours. Salary goes up to 41Ish about 9 months in

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
As above really, around 12 weeks at the academy doing rules 1&2, traction training at depot then route learning.

Training salary around 30k, up to 75% salary at 9 months from start date.
Final salary 12 months from passing out in the 53k ballpark currently.

Can't remember exact monetary figures unfortunately.

As above really, around 12 weeks at the academy doing rules 1&2, traction training at depot then route learning.

Training salary around 30k, up to 75% salary at 9 months from start date.
Final salary 12 months from passing out in the 53k ballpark currently.

Can't remember exact monetary figures unfortunately.
Thank you much appreciated