• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking to Nottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markdev

Could anybody please help me out with a few things ?
I am wanting to get home to Nottingham from Woking, is it possible to do this without using the tube and also what tocs would I need to go on and which stations are best to go to to change ? Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Woking (SWR) > Waterloo (walk) > Waterloo East (SE) > London Bridge (Thameslink) > St Pancras (EMT) > Nottingham should work.

Markdev

Ok thank you, would it be easier and less messing around to get the tube do you think or is this just the same ?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
How about Woking - Basingstoke (change) - Brum/Derby (change)- Nottingham?

You'd be using XC a chunk, however, and they're not the cheapest by all accounts.

Markdev

I did see this and think it might be better, it would mean less changes too and probably quicker overall, I’ve not had much experience with the underground as I normally drive home but it’s getting a joke on the roads and taking me nearly 3.5 to 4 hrs every Friday night and Sunday evening,

On Moderation
Ok thank you, would it be easier and less messing around to get the tube do you think or is this just the same ?
Not much in it, though Tube will be quicker. Tube from Waterloo to Kings Cross/St. Pancras involves changing - we've had a thread on here before about it - but Bakerloo line Waterloo to Oxford Circus for a cross-platform change to the Victoria line is pretty easy.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’d always just use the tube myself, the usual recommendation from Waterloo being to take the Bakerloo to Oxford Circus then Victoria to Kings Cross St Pancras. Oxford Circus change is easy as it’s between parallel platforms.

TEW

Established Member
I always do the change at Oxford Circus personally but bear in mind there is no step free route to the Bakerloo Line at Waterloo, so it may not be ideal if you have lots of luggage. If you require a step free route you can use the Jubilee Line to Green Park and then the Victoria Line to Kings Cross, or travel from Waterloo East via London Bridge.

Markdev

I normally have just a couple of bags over my shoulder so this should be ok ?
I’m just trying to think of costs as well I know it’s never going to be as cheap as going in the car but it’s be more productive for me also on the train etc enabling me to do work on the way home rather than sat on the M25 M1 all evening

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Woking (SWR) > Waterloo (walk) > Waterloo East (SE) > London Bridge (Thameslink) > St Pancras (EMT) > Nottingham should work.

It might work out less hassle - depending on timings - to change at Luton Airport Parkway rather than St Pancras?

Another variation on my suggested route - which could be cheaper with split ticketing - would be to jump ship on an XC service at Coventry and go Nuneaton (change) - Leicester (probably change again). Slightly more exotic, probably slower and definitely more faffing about though!

And a final one (for now) - you could go Kings Cross - Grantham (change) and on to Nottingham. If, by chance, you actually want to go somewhere around Netherfield, and the timings worked out so you could get a branch train that actually stopped* there, you might be on to a winner.

* There aren't many.

All in all, I'd expect Waterloo - tube - St Pancras to be the least stressful most times, with plenty of trains if things go wrong early on in the journey.

Markdev

So it looks to me that there are plenty of different options then, I will be changing at Notts for Mansfield onto the old Robin Hood line

Ken H

On Moderation
you can always walk. its 2.2 miles so allow 50 minutes. or the 59 bus.

I share your hate of the tube.

Markdev

I am not that familiar with London in all honesty I know my way to Blackfriars from Waterloo so from there walking is it a case of straight up over the bridge and head towards st Pancras ?

gazthomas

Established Member
Yes - easy to forget about the new South Bank entrance as well. Is it adequately signposted for someone not familiar with the area?
Not brilliantly signposted for the whole route but there are some signs. Down the escalators to road level, right then across to the Old Vic, down The Cut to Blackfriars Road (left past the entrance to Southwark tube) then a couple of minutes to Blackfriars

Markdev

Not brilliantly signposted for the whole route but there are some signs. Down the escalators to road level, right then across to the Old Vic, down The Cut to Blackfriars Road (left past the entrance to Southwark tube) then a couple of minutes to Blackfriars
Is there a train from Blackfriars to Nottingham or would I need to change somewhere, sorry for sounding daft I honestly don’t know

MarlowDonkey

I am not that familiar with London in all honesty I know my way to Blackfriars from Waterloo so from there walking is it a case of straight up over the bridge and head towards st Pancras ?

I think they were suggesting picking up the Thameslink service at Blackfriars.

For walking from Waterloo to St Pancras, it looks shorter via Waterloo Bridge, Aldwych, British Museum and Bloomsbury

Markdev

Ok I understand now and I’ll have a look on the map for the walking route, thank you

fairliered

Do you have anyone that could pick you up at Chesterfield? If so, you can go Woking to Basingstoke and Basingstoke to Chesterfield. Need to change at Birmingham New Street coming back on Sunday, though.

ChrisC

Established Member
I also agree that tube from Waterloo to St. Pancras is very easy with just one easy change from Bakerloo to Victoria Line at Oxford Circus.
If your train from Woking to Waterloo happens to stop at Vauxhall it is even easier just to hop on the Victoria Line direct from Vauxhall to St. Pancras. Time on tube is only about 15 minutes.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I also agree that tube from Waterloo to St. Pancras is very easy with just one easy change from Bakerloo to Victoria Line at Oxford Circus.
If your train from Woking to Waterloo happens to stop at Vauxhall it is even easier just to hop on the Victoria Line direct from Vauxhall to St. Pancras. Time on tube is only about 15 minutes.
And there are lifts at Vauxhall for anybody with awkward luggage. Good route in my opinion. Usually much easier to get on Victoria Line than the scrum at Oxford Circus.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
you can always walk. its 2.2 miles so allow 50 minutes. or the 59 bus.

I share your hate of the tube.
I have jogged it with light bags in 28 minutes. I don't think I would donit again though amd will stick to Thameslink.

robbeech

Established Member
I’d certainly look at the Vauxhall and Victoria line option. Be at the southern end of the tube train at King’s Cross.

Connections to Mansfield work ok from most direct trains between St Pancras and Nottingham as they’re half hourly. Be advised that if you ended up on the last connection of the day it only gives you an 8 minute change at Nottingham. This is permitted and doable (as you’ll know) but if the train arrives late then you might end up with a farce trying to get a taxi from EMT.
Worth noting that EMT advances are usually the same price to Mansfield as they are just to Nottingham so you might find a price benefit in not splitting there.

duffield

Established Member
Also worth noting (if you don't know this) that on Fri/Sat from 17:55** the Robin Hood line is *completely* dry - e.g. you are not even allowed to have an unopened bottle of wine as a gift for later etc. - and I believe (though I haven't seen it) that they do sometimes search bags on boarding!
(Just thinking it was possible you might fall foul of this).

**As far as I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.