• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wolverhampton- Rhyl...any splits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooliemag

Hi All,
My son is going to Rhyl on Friday 16th May for the day. I`ve had a look at fares and I see the off peak day return for £34.10 and I`m hoping/wondering if there are any splits to bring the price down? I have looked at splitting at Chester and also Shrewsbury without any luck....also NO railcards.
Any help is most appreciated :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Panceltic

First option (direct trains): Total £32.70

Wolverhampton - Wrexham General (Off-Peak Day Return) £14.80
Wrexham General - Rhyl (Off-Peak Return) £17.90

Second option (two changes): Total £28.50

Wolverhampton - Hope (Flintshire) (Off-Peak Day Return) £14.80
Hope (Flintshire) - Shotton (Anytime Day Return) £2.80
Shotton - Rhyl (Anytime Day Return) £10.90

Welshman

Established Member
Third Option (Direct Trains): Total £26.90p

Wolverhampton to Chirk - anytime return £12.40p
3-Zone North Wales Rover [allowing Chirk to Rhyl] £14.50p

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
The Rover allows travel between Gobowen and Rhyl (and also between Shotton and Bidston). Wolverhampton-Gobowen is also £12.40, so this doesn't save any money.

It may be worth mentioning that routes via the WCML (which would not be valid on these specific tickets) aren't worth considering as the line between Crewe and Chester is shut today and tomorrow.

Welshman

Established Member
The Rover allows travel between Gobowen and Rhyl (and also between Shotton and Bidston). Wolverhampton-Gobowen is also £12.40, so this doesn't save any money.

It may be worth mentioning that routes via the WCML (which would not be valid on these specific tickets) aren't worth considering as the line between Crewe and Chester is shut today and tomorrow.

According to this map on P.13 of the Denbighshire County Council's website, the boundary is Chirk, not Gobowen, so to be on the safe side I think I'd book Wolverhampton to Chirk, as I suggested originally.

https://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en/...mation/denbighshire-travel-guide-2014-bil.pdf

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
I believe you may have misunderstood the map. That's understandable, as there's no key on it to say what all of the lines mean.

If you go to the page that map recommends for further details, and select the Click here to download the PDF link, the map included has a key on it. This clearly identifies the solid red line between Chirk and Gobowen as representing a rail route, and not one of the routes which is only valid with the All Zone Rover Ticket.

This PDF is clearly marked as being the 2013 version of the leaflet, and I haven't seen the 2014 version, but the leaflet you linked to shows exactly the same railway lines in exactly the same way.

If you have seen something, or been told something, which suggests that a North Wales Rover covering Wrexham is not valid between Wrexham General and Gobowen, please let me know.

Welshman

Established Member
I believe you may have misunderstood the map. That's understandable, as there's no key on it to say what all of the lines mean.

If you go to the page that map recommends for further details, and select the Click here to download the PDF link, the map included has a key on it. This clearly identifies the solid red line between Chirk and Gobowen as representing a rail route, and not one of the routes which is only valid with the All Zone Rover Ticket.

This PDF is clearly marked as being the 2013 version of the leaflet, and I haven't seen the 2014 version, but the leaflet you linked to shows exactly the same railway lines in exactly the same way.

If you have seen something, or been told something, which suggests that a North Wales Rover covering Wrexham is not valid between Wrexham General and Gobowen, please let me know.

Yes, you're quite right, I did misunderstand the map, and offer my apologies. :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.