• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woman Brings Desktop Computer into VTEC First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...wp-woman-brings-desktop-computer-first-class/

Shocked commuters gawp as woman brings desktop computer on First Class Virgin train

A shocked commuter took a photograph of a woman who had turned her First Class seat on a train into an office by installing a large iMac.

David Hill, who works for a software company, was travelling in the same carriage from Darlington to London Kings Cross and was gobsmacked to see she had taken her computer on the train.

Mr Hill often travels for work and told The Telegraph he had "never seen anything like it".

He was visiting the country from his home in Austin, Texas for a meeting, although he is originally from Middlesborough.

He told The Telegraph: "It was the Virgin East Coast Darlington - London on Tuesday 14:58 in First Class. I had just been to the vestibule and walked past and saw the full iMac computer on the table.

"I had to look twice, I was shocked to see such a large computer on the small table. At first I thought she was a staff member, so I actually walked past, and then thought I had to take a photo.

"I work for a software company, and been traveling on the trains for about 15 years, I have never seen anything like it. The lady had a full wired keyboard and mouse.

" I am still puzzled why someone would carry a desktop computer around, when a laptop would give her the same options, with more portability."

His photograph has been liked and retweeted hundreds of times.

He said: "I'm amazed at how many people have liked and retweeted it. It's a very funny photo".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danyurl

It's annoyed me that a journalist from the Telegraph can't spell Middlesbrough :|

But yeah I imagine that would be an unusual sight indeed.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Hmm, call me cynical but.....

For a start why the non-Apple keyboard, and where is it plugged into as the cable seems to be heading left off the end of the table onto the floor? The picture shows the device already at a Google search page (isn't that illegal on Apple products ;)), so she must have had it plugged in?

Its on the internet so it must be true....? I'm not so sure.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Perhaps the existence of laptops has yet to reach Darlington .... ;)

It's actually an All-in-One that she was using which is more modern than a laptop. I'm not sure how much the Apple ones weigh but Samsung All-in-Ones with a 22" display are quite heavy.

Maybe she wanted to take advantage of the complimentary wi-fi to download all the updates for the computer?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
and where is it plugged into as the cable seems to be heading left off the end of the table onto the floor?

Looking at my own computer now the power cable goes down to the right, under the desk then back up to the left where the plug socket is higher than where the lead plugs in to the computer. Just seeing one bit of a wire can mislead you as to where the other end is.

leshuttle

Saw something similar doing the rounds on social media a few years back, think it was an iMac as well!, onboard an XC train at Stoke.

Moonshot

Established Member
Never ceases to amaze me just how much insignificant minutiae of news actually makes its way on to the web....

infobleep

Veteran Member
I wonder if she has ever tried to take it onto a train that has no power sockets for public use in first class? That would be amusing.

Nean

I wonder if she has ever tried to take it onto a train that has no power sockets for public use in first class? That would be amusing.

I'd imagine that she just takes a nice portable UPS and sits there with it merrily beeping away!

Bantamzen

Established Member
Looking at my own computer now the power cable goes down to the right, under the desk then back up to the left where the plug socket is higher than where the lead plugs in to the computer. Just seeing one bit of a wire can mislead you as to where the other end is.

Maybe so, but judging by it's slack it is either a long cable or going nowhere near the iMac. I've spent many a happy day at work under desks dealing with IT issues over the years, and if I was walking torward that scene having taken a call that "my keyboard isn't working" call, I would be anticipating an IT Crowd-like response.... ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Have you lot got to grips with fire yet even?

Thor makes it with the lightening and the thunderer. Man can not control such power. To suggest otherwise is heresy! Witch!

not as funny as the confused hipster ( i assume he was lost being on the Marston vale line) wandering, dazed, along a class 150 asking where the plugs were so he could charge is phone and whether, or not, the wifi was working!

Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
It's actually an All-in-One that she was using which is more modern than a laptop. I'm not sure how much the Apple ones weigh but Samsung All-in-Ones with a 22" display are quite heavy.

Maybe she wanted to take advantage of the complimentary wi-fi to download all the updates for the computer?

More modern?, all in ones are actually older than the laptop. This is more of a luggable and I never knew they had come back in fashion :)

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
More modern?, all in ones are actually older than the laptop. This is more of a luggable and I never knew they had come back in fashion :)

If you're thinking of something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/BBC_Micro_Front_Restored.jpg It was really 2 combined components and unusable without being connected to a monitor or TV, so not really 'all' in one.

While something like this: https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/172343/samsung-dp700a3d.jpg comes with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse it can be operated without them, in the same way a tablet works.

dgl

Established Member
If you're thinking of something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/BBC_Micro_Front_Restored.jpg It was really 2 combined components and unusable without being connected to a monitor or TV, so not really 'all' in one.

While something like this: https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/172343/samsung-dp700a3d.jpg comes with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse it can be operated without them, in the same way a tablet works.

No, thinking of things such as the commodore PET and various CP/M based machines or even devices such as the PPG waveterm

Muzer

Established Member
Surprises me actually that the Mk 4 (?) had a stable enough power supply. Don't the sockets usually cut out in neutral sections? Unless she really did have a UPS!

sk688

That must have been a pain to carry around . Carrying around my Macbook on the train , is too much for me , but she seems to be taking her own office around

Given she is in first class , I assume there must be a butler waiting to carry everything when she gets off

Last edited:

lejog

Established Member
That must have been a pain to carry around . Carrying around my Macbook on the train , is too much for me , but she seems to be taking her own office around

Given she is in first class , I assume there must be a butler waiting to carry everything when she gets off

You can get shoulder bags for all-in-ones, even for 27in iMacs like that woman's. They weigh about 10kg altogether, so say the weight of a weekend bag.

http://www.theflightcasecompany.com/apple-flight-cases/imac-bags/27-imac-bags/

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I once witnessed someone plug a microwave into a socket on a Pendo and cook a Rustlers burger, about five years back.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I still take my Sony Walkman onto the train - damn, why haven't we stopped at Castle Cary?!

dgl

Established Member
I once witnessed someone plug a microwave into a socket on a Pendo and cook a Rustlers burger, about five years back.

I waiting for someone to take a Baby Belling on a train and try to cook a full roast meal.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'd imagine that she just takes a nice portable UPS and sits there with it merrily beeping away!
Lol. Of course she would. I should have thought of that one, as my UPS was bleeping during a recent power cut. That would be fun for fellow passengers.....
not!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thor makes it with the lightening and the thunderer. Man can not control such power. To suggest otherwise is heresy! Witch!

not as funny as the confused hipster ( i assume he was lost being on the Marston vale line) wandering, dazed, along a class 150 asking where the plugs were so he could charge is phone and whether, or not, the wifi was working!
He's obviously not been on 455/456s or most of the Southern rolling stock then!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I still take my Sony Walkman onto the train - damn, why haven't we stopped at Castle Cary?!
Is that the tape variety or more modern CD variety? I still use a Sony CD Walkman. I like buying CDs and can't be bothered to transfer everything to my computer.

I also like vinyl. Perhaps I should take my portable record player onto a train and plug in my headphones. I'll use it I the quiet coach and claim you can't hear anything as I'm using headphones turned down low. Lol. Those who understand vinyl record players would get that lame joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.