• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wooden paddles in Desiro cab

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolf

Whilst waiting at New Street for my train earlier, I had a nose through the cab window of a Desiro and noticed what I could only describe as two large wooden paddles (like wooden rowing boat oars basically) attatched to the inside of the corridor connection.

Any idea what these are for?

I assume its going to be something mundane, probably related to connecting units together, but nonetheless am curious as to what they are for.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
If they have DC collector shoes then they may have been shoe paddles. They are used to lift a shoe off the current rail (I've never used one so I don't know exactly how it's done).

Hydro

Established Member
Definitely shoe paddles, they're used to lever the collector shoe off the juice and then be wedged under to keep them off and isolated.

Smudger105e

Not very good as cricket bats, the handles are square and if the ball is hard it jars your arms :D A ball made from insulation tape is best.

As regards the correct use...

The technique is to turn the unit off (pull the AIS or battery switch or main isolator etc.) lift the shoe clear of the juice rail with one paddle, place the second paddle under the shoe and then place the first paddle next to the second one, thereby holding the shoe clear of the juice rail.

The same has to be done for all shoes that are touching a juice rail on the particular unit, but not necessary on coupled units as there are no power train lines these days, last stock with them was the 1936 stock 4-SUBs.

Showing my age now!!

thewolf

Aha, thanks for the quick and concise responses guys.

Thought it might be for something along those lines.

Cheers.

es373

Also used to balance coffee cups on :P :D

Paddle across the drivers console... Put your hand held radio, timetable and coffee there mate! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not very good as cricket bats, the handles are square and if the ball is hard it jars your arms :D A ball made from insulation tape is best.

As regards the correct use...

The technique is to turn the unit off (pull the AIS or battery switch or main isolator etc.) lift the shoe clear of the juice rail with one paddle, place the second paddle under the shoe and then place the first paddle next to the second one, thereby holding the shoe clear of the juice rail.

The same has to be done for all shoes that are touching a juice rail on the particular unit, but not necessary on coupled units as there are no power train lines these days, last stock with them was the 1936 stock 4-SUBs.

Showing my age now!!

I would have posted that but didn't want to give the game away! lol

MrC

The other reason they're found in cabs is for when the short circuit bar needs to be applied when they're used where necessary to clear a space under the 3rd rail so the bar can fit. In fact on 444/450s that's the main reason they're in the cabs as there's only one paddle stored there. If you need to paddle up you'll have to toddle back to the SCB cupboard where the rest of the gear is stored.

Oh and Desiros have smaller shoes so you only need one paddle under each shoe.

Hydro

Established Member
They also used to be placed across the secondmans window on slammers to indicate the handbrake had been applied.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
They also used to be placed across the secondmans window on slammers to indicate the handbrake had been applied.

Still are. We use that method with the Thumper on the Mid-Hants to show the handbrake is on. We don't have any third rails, so that's all they're good for really!

Status
Not open for further replies.