• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worcester Southern Link Road Widening - Rail Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unixman

Had this from a local councilor:

"When I first saw the early stages of the new bridge being built, slightly to the West of the Railway Bridge on Crookbarrow Way, I assumed it was the new Bridleway Bridge. As time went by and the construction grew, the dimensions of the bridge suggested that it was a little more than just that! Then when I saw the width of the structure I started to ask questions...it is in fact the extension to the railway bridge that is being built, quite obvious now!

When complete the railway track will be closed , the railway lines and the embankment removed and the new section will be hydraulically raised and moved East to line up with the existing track, thus extending the width of the bridge.

The County Council Cabinet member wrote to me stating:-

"The substantive work starts on the night of the 25/26th of May and should all be complete in five days - big penalties for going over. That is the bank holiday weekend, of course.

You will know of the general scheme of things. The loss of one lane to the west under the bridge is to allow for the positioning of anchors through the bridge abutment, to hold that part of the bridge upright, when the embankment on the other side is taken away. There should be no chance of the whole thing going trapezoidal, once the supports are unbalanced.

Once the railway is vacated, the rails get removed, the embankment removed, and the new bridge is ferried in on bogies from its current position. Once in place, it is dropped on to the ground, the bogies disappear, and then its a question of back-filling between the two bridges, and reinstating the rails"."

Status
Not open for further replies.