• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Experience on the Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk688

Good Evening

I wondered if the railway offers any work experience oppurtunities for Post GCSE Students

I would be intrested in a signalling , timetable , or Customer Service position , if any of them are available

My local TOCs would be : London Underground , London Overground , London Midland , Chiltern Railways , Southern and GWR

Would I have to contact them directly , or do these TOCs have applications for W/E . I have looked at their website to no avail

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

district

Signalling (except on London Underground) is run by Network rail, so you'd have to apply to them directly for information on work experience.
At my TOC it is known to have work experience students - these are generally related to members of staff although I guess there is no reason why anyone couldn't do it. There's no application for it, you just need to contact the TOC concerned to ask.

alocotpi

I really recently did my work experience with GWR, and loved it. There's of course a limit on what you're able to do because of health and safety etc, but I was able to get really involved in the customer service side of things, spending three days on the platforms helping with assists, and a few days on gateline.

Get in touch with your local station manager, as that's who would need to authorise it. I believe some stations also accept volunteers. :D

Dhassell

I really recently did my work experience with GWR, and loved it. There's of course a limit on what you're able to do because of health and safety etc, but I was able to get really involved in the customer service side of things, spending three days on the platforms helping with assists, and a few days on gateline.

Get in touch with your local station manager, as that's who would need to authorise it. I believe some stations also accept volunteers. :D

Yup, Also did Work Experience with GWR last year! Had a great time and learnt loads! Spent 3 days on platforms, one day in the ticket office, half a day on gateline and was even arranged a trip to visit the Network Rail/GWR control in Swindon!

PudseyBearHST

Good Evening

I wondered if the railway offers any work experience oppurtunities for Post GCSE Students

I would be intrested in a signalling , timetable , or Customer Service position , if any of them are available

My local TOCs would be : London Underground , London Overground , London Midland , Chiltern Railways , Southern and GWR

Would I have to contact them directly , or do these TOCs have applications for W/E . I have looked at their website to no avail

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

You would probably have to contact them directly. Or you could try to arrange work experience through your school/college.
I am not sure how much experience you are looking for but I have seen on the GWR jobs website that they are offering an 18 month 'Operations Apprentice' at various locations on their network:

Working in many areas of the operational business sector alongside colleagues, both on train and at stations. This will include Station Operations, Gateline, Customer Host, Ticket Office and Revenue Protection. You will have the opportunity to learn from our experienced colleagues the values of Great Experience Makers.

You’ll receive at a minimum our corporate welcome, vocational training, development sessions, team building events and intensive on-the-job training. The scheme offers the opportunity to attain a National Vocational Qualification in Customer Service Level 2, and an undergraduate award through the IRO (Institution of Railway Operators) and Glasgow Caledonian University.

You will also be given the opportunity to attain your Duke of Edinburgh Business Gold Award. This is an 18-month course, which has five elements:

Residential
Volunteering
Physical
Business Skills
Expedition

https://uk.firstgroupcareers.com/va...entice-5087-reading-station/5115/description/

rosschap

I did work experience with FGW when I was 16 at Ealing Broadway - I live in Kent but Southeastern did not help me. Overall it was a good three days on the gateline and platforms - unfortunatley a person was struck by a train on the first afternoon at the station causing severe disruption, but it was definitely eye opening to see how FGW deals with it from the inside.

DanielNow

i am with a few agencies for fork work ect but there is bugger all around i ahve been getting the occational work but nothing solid

LiftFan

I remember back in Year 10 I did work experience with Network Rail and I was up in the asset protection office in Swindon. Very nice man who gave me a great week of it! I tried to apply for more now I'm in my first year of BTEC engineering but I got told to apply through this Barclaycard website which wants you to earn points from reading blog posts first - just plain confusing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.