• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Workington derailment 12/04/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenW390Fan

News received has said that there's been a derailment between Workington and Carlisle. Initial rumours claim it was 2 runaway wagons from Workington Docks that derailed on the trap points before the mainline.

Screenshot is from the National Rail delays page: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/cleared.aspx
Trains are now running as normal following a derailed freight train between Workington and Carlisle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_564.png
    Screenshot_564.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Guess the pic used to "illustrate" the local news webstory is some stock photo of a Class 331 electric multiple unit taken nowhere near Workington!

Extracts...

Northern Rail has announced that there have been cancellations between Carlisle and Workington.

The line was blocked earlier due to a derailed train according to Northern's Twitter page.
Chris Jackson, regional director for Northern, said: “Our services between Workington and Carlisle were delayed by around 30 minutes this morning following an incident at Workington Docks. We apologise to customers for the delay to their journeys.”

Agent_Squash

Established Member

Paul_10

I've noticed at some stations on the line (north of Barrow) have "class 195 3 car stop" signs on the platforms. Are there plans to run 195s between Barrow and Carlisle on that line?!

At least one diagram does have a 195 which runs up to Milliom but not sure if it's an everyday thing or not.

AMD

195s have run to Millom in the past, none currently diagrammed. They aren't route cleared any further north.

Mike Redding

One has run at least as far as Workington in the past, possibly Maryport? Not in service though anyway. I believe they couldn't go any further north at the time as the line between Maryport and Carlisle is quite restrictive

On Moderation
Thanks for the various replies. Would be welcome change from the 156s. This Saturday (Carlisle big home game vs. Northampton, plus grand national causing people to flock to their favorite taverns) and next Saturday (Barrow vs. Carlisle) are going to lead to absolute crush loading on the services. Fully expecting Northern to run individual 156 units only rather than doubling them up. The "we don't have enough stock" excuse doesn't really add up since EMR cascaded a load of 156s to them.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thanks for the various replies. Would be welcome change from the 156s. This Saturday (Carlisle big home game vs. Northampton, plus grand national causing people to flock to their favorite taverns) and next Saturday (Barrow vs. Carlisle) are going to lead to absolute crush loading on the services. Fully expecting Northern to run individual 156 units only rather than doubling them up. The "we don't have enough stock" excuse doesn't really add up since EMR cascaded a load of 156s to them.
Though Northern have also lost a couple of 150s on loan to Wales.

Suraggu

This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Two wagons ran away from Workington docks, crashed through two sets of gates, over a public crossing and eventually derailed on the catch points but folk want to talk about Northern Traction.

Broken70

This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Two wagons ran away from Workington docks, crashed through two sets of gates, over a public crossing and eventually derailed on the catch points but folk want to talk about Northern Traction.
Ah this proves we need a like button. I wondered how long it would be before this thread had any useful information on it. Given it sounds quite a serious incident I'm suprised it's been kept so quiet, that been said the latter may not be a bad thing.

Is that why the trains were turning round at Workington and starting from Harrington? I did wonder what was going on. The 1825 from Barrow to Millom on Sundays usually runs as a 195.

Lucy1501

Is that why the trains were turning round at Workington and starting from Harrington? I did wonder what was going on.
Some additional information on infrastructure - unless Workington No.3 signal box, the one at the station, is switched in, there’s no way to turn around trains at Workington unless they run to Maryport. Needless to say this wouldn’t be possible as there would be runaway wagons on the line.

I believe No.3 typically opens at 07:00 on weekdays as it’s only needed to access the docks branch and slightly increase capacity with No.2 being less than a mile away. Workington No.2 opens much earlier at around 05:15 as it controls access to the carriage sidings and has the ability to turn trains round back to Harrington via the reception siding behind the station.

Some additional information on infrastructure - unless Workington No.3 signal box, the one at the station, is switched in, there’s no way to turn around trains at Workington unless they run to Maryport. Needless to say this wouldn’t be possible as there would be runaway wagons on the line.

I believe No.3 typically opens at 07:00 on weekdays as it’s only needed to access the docks branch and slightly increase capacity with No.2 being less than a mile away. Workington No.2 opens much earlier at around 05:15 as it controls access to the carriage sidings and has the ability to turn trains round back to Harrington via the reception siding behind the station.
Thanks for that. Have only rarely travelled beyond Whitehaven towards Carlisle in recent years since the steelworks complex shut down. I didn't know how much signalling infrastructure survived rationalisation. Did some research a few years back when I tried for signal box jobs further down the line near barrow

greyman42

Established Member
Ah this proves we need a like button. I wondered how long it would be before this thread had any useful information on it. Given it sounds quite a serious incident I'm suprised it's been kept so quiet, that been said the latter may not be a bad thing.
What do you mean by "the latter may not be a bad thing"?

Carlisle

Established Member
195s have run to Millom in the past,
That’ll primarily be because 175s were previously cleared to Millom but is anything more modern than a 156 likely to be cleared north of there anytime in the next decade or so ?

Last edited:
That's quite good for news quest or whoever it is ( hint of sarcasm) Their usual twitter ctrl +v reporting of the Furness Cumbrian Coast line involves a picture of serco northern or first trans pennine (the barbie doll) trains

Meerkat

Established Member
What traffic goes through Workington Docks?
Is this another case where trap points have 'worked' but not actually kept the mainline clear?

Chris M

BTP Lancashire tweeter earlier about this:
Our Lancaster-based officers attended the Port of #Workington yesterday morning to look into the circumstances of a minor derailment. #CCTV showed two freight wagons on a siding ran away a short distance during strong winds. At the time, gusts of…
…53-60mph were recorded. Safety equipment (catch points) worked as designed to partly derail one of the wagons to ensure they didn’t reach the main line. Weather-related incident with no criminality. The freight company and port are carrying out an internal investigation.

Lucy1501

Is this another case where trap points have 'worked' but not actually kept the mainline clear?
Judging by the photos I've seen they did indeed work as intended, so I imagine the closure was more a precaution and to allow inspection and recovery of the wagons and infastructure involved.

That being said I personally would prefer it to block the mainline to an extent rather than potentially getting as far as Flimby running over several user worked crossings!

QueensCurve

Established Member
Judging by the photos I've seen they did indeed work as intended, so I imagine the closure was more a precaution and to allow inspection and recovery of the wagons and infastructure involved.

That being said I personally would prefer it to block the mainline to an extent rather than potentially getting as far as Flimby running over several user worked crossings!
One's late father was Station Master at Flimby (with responsibility for Siddwick Junction). That was before my time when there were actually station staff at Flimby.

MarkyT

Established Member
What traffic goes through Workington Docks?
Trap points at siding exits are usually within one of the adjacent mainline track circuits, and are usually equipped with track circuit interruptor devices which effectively hold the track circuit occupied even if the runaway vehicles have completely left the track through the traps. Circuits are designed such that a run-through derailment will cause signals on the main line to revert to or remain at danger, stopping train movements until an inspection can determine that the wreckage is actually clear of running lines. Until the wagons are removed and any broken interrupter device is replaced, signals will not clear and any movements past the site must be authorised verbally.

LYRobert

Yes, I've seen a 'track circuit interrupter device' and wondered what it was. In this case a wire emerged from the ballast and connected to the terminal of a metal 'snodget' (my word) which was screwed into the side of the rail such that it projected into the flange-way. Thus any passing wheel would snap it off, and interrupt an electric circuit. I guessed the snodget to be of cast iron, or some other brittle metal.

MarkyT

Established Member
Yes, I've seen a 'track circuit interrupter device' and wondered what it was. In this case a wire emerged from the ballast and connected to the terminal of a metal 'snodget' (my word) which was screwed into the side of the rail such that it projected into the flange-way. Thus any passing wheel would snap it off, and interrupt an electric circuit. I guessed the snodget to be of cast iron, or some other brittle metal.
You are awarded 10 points for correctly describing the operation of the 'snodget'! They come in two forms, insulated and non-insulated. The non-insulated type is just a means of attaching a track circuit bond cable to the rail, forming part of the track circuit itself so if broken off it simply causes a discontinuity in that TC. An insulated type contains a separate circuit, independant of the track circuit, or carrying the opposite polarity of the same circuit. In either case the device needs replacing once broken by a run-through before normal operations can resume.

mr_moo

Wow. This sounds mightly familair - See the accident in 2020: https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/report-16-slash-2020-runaway-and-derailment-of-a-wagon-at-clitheroe

Summary​

At about 08:16 hrs on 9 March 2020, a loaded wagon ran away from a siding located within the Hanson UK cement works in Clitheroe. It travelled a distance of about 0.75 miles (1.2 km) on a falling gradient, before it derailed at Horrocksford Junction, where the freight only branch line from the cement works connects to the main railway lines.

As it ran away, the wagon broke through the gates at the exit from the works and then ran over a level crossing on a public road, causing two cars to stop. Soon afterwards, the wagon passed over a second level crossing on a private road, which leads to a chemical works. Neither level crossing had its manually activated warning equipment switched on before the wagon passed over it.

On arriving at Horrocksford Junction, the wagon derailed at a set of trap points. As intended, this arrangement prevented the wagon from reaching the main lines. The derailed wagon stopped clear of the nearest main line and no trains were nearby at the time of the derailment. No one was injured in the accident, although there was minor damage to the wagon and severe damage to the track where the wagon had run derailed.

The investigation found that the wagon ran away because its handbrake was not effective at holding it in place on the gradient where it had been stabled. This was due to a combination of insufficient brake force being provided by the applied handbrake and the fully laden wagon being stabled on its own and on a gradient falling towards the exit from the cement works. The staff who stabled the wagon did not know the handbrake would not hold the wagon in place after they applied it, as the wagon’s brakes were already pneumatically applied when they did this, and over time, the air in the brake system leaked away until the air brake was released. It is possible that a maintenance examination that was due before the accident, but which was not carried out, would have found the problem with the handbrake’s effectiveness.

An underlying factor was that the parties responsible for the operation of trains at the cement works had not adequately assessed or controlled the risk of a rail vehicle running away from the cement works. RAIB also observed that the risks to users at one of the level crossings concerned were not being managed by Network Rail, and that potential evidence, which might have explained why the handbrake provided insufficient force to hold the wagon in place, was lost to the investigation.

Recommendations​

RAIB has made three recommendations. The first is that GB Railfreight should work with the owners of industrial premises to improve its assessment of the risks of runaway vehicles. The second recommends that Hanson UK should assure itself that a suitable and sufficient risk assessment has been undertaken for all rail operations taking place on its site. The third recommendation is that freight operating companies review the adequacy of the processes followed for stabling vehicles on a gradient using handbrakes, particularly if a laden vehicle is to be left on its own. RAIB also identified two learning points. The first is a reminder of the importance of scheduled examinations of wagons taking place on or before their due dates. The second is a reminder about the importance of preserving items of evidence required for safety investigations.

Quite worrying.

Chris M

Wasn't there another one at, or near, Corby. If I remember rightly it resulted in fatalities.
The only incident the RAIB have investigated at Corby was the HST running into and getting stranded by debris.
They investigated runaway wagons at Armathwaite in 2007 (report), Camden Road in 2008 (report), Ashburys (near Manchester) in 2010 (report) Toton in 2021 (report) but none of them resulted in serious injuries or fatalities.
The runaway of wagons at Tebay in 2004 is the most recent runaway wagon incident I know of to result in fatalities (RSSB summary), but that was the result of criminal breaches of H&S law (Wikipedia).

Status
Not open for further replies.