• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

World Book Day - who would you have gone as?

As it’s world book day today 7-3-24 and my grandchildren are going to school dressed as various characters, I was pondering who I would have gone dressed as.
I’ll start the ball rolling with William Brown in Richmal Crompton’s Just William.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
I’ve come as Peter Rabbit today!
Got lots of different characters in my class. Mary Poppins, Danny Champion of the World, a number of Hermione and of course a number of boys dressed as footballers from their sticker books…

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 60

jon81uk

I think the whole dressing up thing is actually against the ethos of World Book Day, it should be about reading, spend the money on costumes on getting more books instead.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thankfully World Book Day wasn't a thing when I was a child, but I would probably have gone as Biggles. Pair of swimming goggles and be done with it.

jon81uk

Thankfully World Book Day wasn't a thing when I was a child
It was a thing when I was a kid in the 90s, but thankfully there was no dressing up it was a day about books and reading, we had time in school set aside to read and got a voucher to spend at WHSmiths for £1 off a book (or there were special short books available for £1).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It was a thing when I was a kid in the 90s, but thankfully there was no dressing up it was a day about books and reading, we had time in school set aside to read and got a voucher to spend at WHSmiths for £1 off a book (or there were special short books available for £1).
World Book Day is from 1998, so if 81 is your birth year it might have been some separate local event?

jon81uk

World Book Day is from 1998, so if 81 is your birth year it might have been some separate local event?
Hmm, I did my GSCEs in 1997, so I must be thinking more of my younger brother and sister getting the vouchers. But my Mum was also a teacher so that would also have given me experience of it. But it definitely never involved dressing up back then!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The nurse at my GP's surgery mentioned this earlier, saying her son has gone in a full football kit using a matchday programme as his "book". Can't help but feel this is a bit of a stretch, but I have to respect the effort!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
It's a bit of fun for the kiddywinks, lighten up chaps. They still give out the £1 World Book Day vouchers for one of their special £1 books, so there's plenty of reading happening.

I was in primary school in the early 2000s and recall the school turned into a period event and booked the Scholastic book fair and the county council's mobile library for the same month. Dressing up was very much the done thing for the infants - I went as Mildred Hubble from the Worst Witch series one year.

I’ve come as Peter Rabbit today!
Got lots of different characters in my class. Mary Poppins, Danny Champion of the World, a number of Hermione and of course a number of boys dressed as footballers from their sticker books…
Awww, you look very cute!

Bayum

Established Member
The nurse at my GP's surgery mentioned this earlier, saying her son has gone in a full football kit using a matchday programme as his "book". Can't help but feel this is a bit of a stretch, but I have to respect the effort!
Yet Lampard and others now have children’s fiction series.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yet Lampard and others now have children’s fiction series.
As the child in question was wearing a Huddersfield Town kit, I look forward to the release of former Town midfielder Darren "Psycho" Bullock's children's book... suggested title: "A is for Assaulting a Police Officer" :lol:

brad465

Established Member
In Year 5 I had a history day around this time instead, which involved dressing up as a famous person from history. However the thing I remember most from it was how the following night someone burgled the school and stole a laptop and projector from the Yr6 classroom, so that was the talking point the next day instead (it led to the school grounds' CCTV coverage being expanded and all the projectors having security locks put on them after).

Trackman

Established Member
A friend was telling me it was banned for his kids at school, but they would be doing other 'fun activities' instead, whatever they may be. A quick google and they seem to be blaming the cost of living.

gswindale

Our school apparently voted to dress up as words rather than characters.

Therefore our little one had a snake costume.

I did see quite a few Spidermen, Harry Potters and Willy Wonkas, but also sleepy, a dinosaur, a queen, a chef.

In the emails about it the pictures included "precipitation ", "archaic" and "perplexed" amongst others!

Established Member
I went as Professor Lupin from the Harry Potter franchise in Year 6, which was the first year my school made a big fuss of World Book Day. My daughters who are at primary school went as Wednesday Addams, Sophie (BFG), Red Riding Hood and Alice this year, my eldest (Year 9) always went as Mildred Hubble. On the same subject, I had to nip to Chester this morning to collect the keys for my new house and there was a stall giving out copies of Bessie Matthews' Arlo's Railway Adventures at Chester station, so I picked up a couple of copies for my daughters to read. The verdict was resoundingly positive.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When I was very young, my older brother at one point went to primary school in fancy dress, though I believe this was an end-of-term event rather than for World Book Day as it would have been around 1985. However he went not as D'Artagnan (from Alexandre Dumas's swashbuckling tales of Musketeers) but as Dogtanian, his animated canine counterpart from a 1980s kids show. Had it been a World Book Day thing, he'd probably have got away with it!

Howardh

Established Member
My favourite books were maps, they can be read just like a book. Sadly I haven't the body to go as "Atlas" and haven't any other ideas that go with the OS map of Preston and Blackpool!