• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

World Record - 12 countries in 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1978

Links:

Record Breaker's Website
Yorkshire Post Write-Up

A LIGHTNING tour of Europe ended with a Leeds man breaking the world record for the number of countries visited in 24-hours using only planes, trains and buses, with just minutes to spare.

THE ROUTE
(May 24, 2016)

For everyone that wants to follow where I’m going and (hopefully) when I’ll be there, here’s the full route and timings for tomorrow!

I’m starting in Perl, Germany, just the other side of the Moselle river from the Luxembourgish town of Schengen. It seemed the right place to start this trip as it’s where the Schengen agreement was signed in 1985, the treaty which led to the creation of Europe’s borderless Schengen Area and means I can cross most borders without any passport checks. As a result of the European migrant crisis though, many temporary border controls are now in place but hopefully they won’t slow me down too much.

The finish is just south of Bratislava, at the tripoint of Slovakia, Hungary and Austria. There’s a small sculpture park there where there appears to be a triangular picnic table right at the point where the three countries meet, each side of the table being in a different country. If all goes to plan, I will sit at that table having just beaten this world record!

All times are CEST (BST + 1)

07:02 Perl, Germany. Bus.
07:46 University of Luxembourg, Belval Campus: Run 500m into France.
07:50 France: Run 1km to University train station. Train at 08:04.
08:23 Rodange, Luxembourg: Run 350m to Belgian border.
08:30: Belgium: Train from Rodange then bus to Luxembourg airport. 10:30 flight.
11:40 Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, The Netherlands: 12:35 flight.
13:55 Copenhagen, Denmark: Train to Malmo.
15:00 Malmo, Sweden: Train back to Copenhagen. 18:30 flight.
19:50 Warsaw, Poland: Night train to Bratislava.
01:20 Ostrava, Czech Republic: Continue on night train.
05:36 Bratislava, Slovakia: Bus to near Hungarian border. Run 2.5km.
06:45 Hungarian border, near Rajka: Run 2km to Austrian border.
07:00 Austria.

I'm not sure if it has been officially ratified by the GWR yet - but assuming all is in order, it seems quite the trip, and a great record!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crispy1978

Very interesting, and a lot of thought must have gone into producing that itinerary! Too much running for my liking though- I bet the locals thought he was mad!

Yeah too much running for me too! (>6km) - but the things you gotta do I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.