• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worried about Job security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover77

I've been a CSA dispatcher for Avanti for a little over 6 months. I recently had an interview for train manager, still awaiting outcome. I'm a little worried about my job security in my current or possible new role. I am an RMT member and support the industrial action. I really can't see how DOO would work on an 11 coach Pendalino. Will this ever be in place?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Canonite

I've been a CSA dispatcher for Avanti for a little over 6 months. I recently had an interview for train manager, still awaiting outcome. I'm a little worried about my job security in my current or possible new role. I am an RMT member and support the industrial action. I really can't see how DOO would work on an 11 coach Pendalino. Will this ever be in place?
In the event of an object being struck on the line, resulting in an incapacitated Driver, who is going to call Signaller and set track circuit clips/detonators etc as well as see to the safety of passengers?

Boski

Their are doo dispatchers around aswell namely at key locations, pendos have no cameras on them either so you have nothing to worry about.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It is extremely unlikely that InterCity type trains would operate with only the driver on board, though you may find the job role changes to be more of a customer services role and lose control of the doors. If you don't mind that then I'd not worry too much.

Their are doo dispatchers around aswell namely at key locations, pendos have no cameras on them either so you have nothing to worry about.

Installing cameras is an easy enough job. The 350s (except /2) have been quietly all fitted, for example.

Plus, don't Pendolinos only serve stations with dispatchers, so they could install CD/RA displays and do DOO that way?

Sly Sloth

There’s nothing to stop the person in charge from giving the tip to the driver vice the guard. Onboard train roles are going to be focussed on revenue and customer service. That way if the diagrams is uncovered the train will still be able to run DOO.
I don’t agree with it but its already happening and will be rolled out all over especially for trains that only stop at a few major dispatched stations en route. LNER and AVANTI are prime candidates for this type of operation.

Boski

There’s nothing to stop the person in charge from giving the tip to the driver vice the guard. Onboard train roles are going to be focussed on revenue and customer service. That way if the diagrams is uncovered the train will still be able to run DOO.
I don’t agree with it but its already happening and will be rolled out all over especially for trains that only stop at a few major dispatched stations en route. LNER and AVANTI are prime candidates for this type of operation.
was referring to the dispatcher part of the OP, I can see where you are coming from with the train manager part though.

Inthe4foot

Haven’t LNER promised guards will be safety critical (close the doors at least) for the life span of the azuma? I’m not saying they won’t change that though :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Haven’t LNER promised guards will be safety critical (close the doors at least) for the life span of the azuma? I’m not saying they won’t change that though :)

It's a bit dishonest to promise things you can't guarantee to deliver. Thus no TOC can promise anything past the end of their current National Rail Contract.

O L Leigh

Established Member
It's a bit dishonest to promise things you can't guarantee to deliver. Thus no TOC can promise anything past the end of their current National Rail Contract.

No, but such agreements are protected under TUPE (transfer under protected entitlements) so would have to be honoured by the incoming replacement.

Rover77

My current role would appear to have more job security than my possible new one. We get high numbers of customer assists everyday. Often need to put the ramp down. Staff will always be needed at the Station for things like this. My current role is not well paid at all, the train manager job is a considerable uplift in pay. Really not sure what to do. (If I am successful ofcourse)

Sly Sloth

I think the important thing to remember with ANY job on the railway at the moment is that it’s not just about the lifespan of the role but what could happen to the renumeration of the role!
British Airways basically fired and rehired a lot of staff on new contracts with a significantly lower basic wage and worse terms and conditions than before. A lot of railway roles have a very good wage fought for by very strong unions and their members through the years. The current dispute could force the hand of the tocs to go down this route!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think the important thing to remember with ANY job on the railway at the moment is that it’s not just about the lifespan of the role but what could happen to the renumeration of the role!
British Airways basically fired and rehired a lot of staff on new contracts with a significantly lower basic wage and worse terms and conditions than before. A lot of railway roles have a very good wage fought for by very strong unions and their members through the years. The current dispute could force the hand of the tocs to go down this route!

However I would say that the railway has far more job security than most other industries, even with the present upheaval, provided you're willing to be a bit flexible with regard to what the actual role entails.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Nothing in life comes with a guarantee, so I think go for it. Nothing has changed as yet and, likely as not, you'll still have an on-train role even if the DfT manages to squeeze DOO through. Surely it's better to try and get what you want than to turn it down and then regret it.

The current dispute could force the hand of the tocs to go down this route!

... or not.

The problem is that nothing is known for certain at present. It's all rumours and supposition at the moment.

74A

Long distance services will always have staff on board. Limo is DOO but they have staff on board.

Rover77

Some really interesting points made. Thanks all. This ofcourse could not be relevant to me at all as I may not get the job. But if I'm offered it I'm deffinatley going to accept. Can't spend your life second guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.