• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Worst Bus Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Gloucester for me - Grim, cold, drafty, vandalised, and full of people who you don't really want to bump into. This is why when I come home from uni I spend as much time waiting in gloucester train station as possible and only go over to the bus station about 10 minutes before my bus is due..

Statto

Established Member
Liverpool Queen Square, for a modern bus station it's far too small with the amount of buses ph, the Roadway is only one lane with an inside lane for the bus stop bays, which means that if theres a bus already at the stop the bus behind has to que up on the Roadway, blocking other buses. Also the Pedestrian lights halfway through the bus station, which need resetting as theres been a few accidents at that crossing.

Chester Bus Exchange, far too small to cope with the volume of buses, the Welsh stands[stand 6] are oddly placed at the other end of the bus exchange, the stands themselves are quite narrow, needs rebuilding
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, but the bus station is in the town centre.

Indeed, a lot of Towns/Cities in the UK have the same problem with the station quite a distance from the Centre of the Town or City.

daniel3982

York which ridiculously doesn't have a proper bus station, just a few sheltars at the station and a nearby street.

Castleford B.S, not changed a bit since i was knee high to a grasshopper, then again niether as the rest of Castleford, the land that time forgot.

tempests1

Guildford Bus Station is very grot, looks like is stuck in a 1987 time warp, dark bricks very dirty perpex and non existant rubbish collection particularly used condoms and Needles - all a bit of a worry with young children, & very dark and unwelcoming

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Anything in the last 15 years designed by WMPTE (Wolverhampton, Stourbridge, West Brom, Walsall St Paul's & Wednesbury). Too much glass! (or Accidents in St Paul's case!)

PR1Berske

Established Member
Preston Bus Station.

I don't care it's now listed/protected, its outdated, old-fashioned, uncomfortable, cold and generally knackered...

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

It's not listed, which is a damn shame because it should be.

It's not outdated - there's 1,100 car parking places and 80 gates, all of which could and should be far better utilised than they currently are. The conceit against the station by our useless council(s) is more to blame for that

"Old fashioned" is just an opinion, it means nothing.

"Uncomfortable" is not really true (there are benches). "Cold" is not exactly something anyone can work against is it? It's a very large building for which gates have to be kept open.

Knocking down the bus station would be a horrific short-sighted error. The fight to keep the station continues and I'm a full supporter of that campaign.

Badger

Preston bus station seems the kind of well-designed but happens-to-be-brutalist structure that the 99% would be overwhelmed if it were re-clad in something "modern"/"shiny" and called new. ;) Nothing wrong with it, it just "looks old", which is a shameful reason to demolish things when you consider looking old is the basis of conservation ideas...

Ivo

Established Member
Preston bus station seems the kind of well-designed but happens-to-be-brutalist structure that the 99% would be overwhelmed if it were re-clad in something "modern"/"shiny" and called new. ;) Nothing wrong with it, it just "looks old", which is a shameful reason to demolish things when you consider looking old is the basis of conservation ideas...

You have to agree that it could do with an internal face lift though. Just a means to brighten it up a bit.

Preston Bus Station, unlike most older bus stations, is still fit for purpose though.
Some of you might disagree with this, but Bath's new bus station is pretty hopeless. They have tried to copy Bristol, which is a good thing - without considering that local services also use it and that Bristol's bays are further apart. The new site just isn't big enough for what they have built.

Gloucester for me - Grim, cold, drafty, vandalised, and full of people who you don't really want to bump into. This is why when I come home from uni I spend as much time waiting in gloucester train station as possible and only go over to the bus station about 10 minutes before my bus is due..

+1 for Gloucester. The worst bus station I have ever seen - and not just in terms of its aesthetics.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

It's not listed, which is a damn shame because it should be.

It's not outdated - there's 1,100 car parking places and 80 gates, all of which could and should be far better utilised than they currently are. The conceit against the station by our useless council(s) is more to blame for that

"Old fashioned" is just an opinion, it means nothing.

"Uncomfortable" is not really true (there are benches). "Cold" is not exactly something anyone can work against is it? It's a very large building for which gates have to be kept open.

Knocking down the bus station would be a horrific short-sighted error. The fight to keep the station continues and I'm a full supporter of that campaign.

Having had a look on Streetview i'd be saddened to see this disappear from the landscape, it sure stands out & its a remarkable piece of architecture (as my hometown bus station was - Derby)

Good luck with your campaign & without groups like yours nothing would saved for future generations to look at.

Each to their own of course, but as for words like 'Old Fashioned & Outdated' :roll: well, most our preserved vehicles bus/train/car fit that description but thats why we like them!

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
Paris Gallieni bus station. Jesus christ I hope none of you ever need to travel there as its a right cess hole. Newcastle Haymarket is pain in the backside due to its layout! can take easily 10 minutes for a bus to leave the station once it sets off.

Incidently I can still remember the fumes of the old Sunderland Central bus station. My gran still remembers it as the "gas chamber":lol:. Must say I think Sunderland Park Lane is quite good though. Integrated with Metro services to Sunderland/Newcastle mainline stations and national coach services.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I agree that Blackpool Bus Station wasn't one of the best. I do hope Blackpool Council demolish it very soon, it's an absolute hell hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VTPreston_Tez

I agree that Blackpool Bus Station wasn't one of the best. I do hope Blackpool Council demolish it very soon, it's an absolute hell hole!

I'd call it a bus stop congregation with a roof, and half the services go round it :roll:

IronM91

I would say Walsall St Pauls, due to the fact the design is poor and several major accidents with at least one death.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Although I live in Blackpool, it must be several years since buses served Blackpool Bus Station, it's an absolute dump & no wonder all the services are scattered around the Town Centre.

exile

Established Member
Earlestown - two bus stops and shelters. That's it!

Hereford Country - decent size but no staff around

Castleford - a decrepit ruin.

Southport - 100,000 population and no bus station whatsoever.

Runcorn - freezing cold in winter, again no staff or facilities

Badger

Ashbourne Bus Station is so insignificant that I've never used it. It's literally just an extended bus stand which can hold two buses.

Whistler40145

Established Member
exile, if you had known Southport Bus Station, which no longer exists, it wasn't very pleasant, much the same of the old Keswick Bus Station.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Earlestown - two bus stops and shelters. That's it!

4 bus stops but not 2. Typical Merseytravel shelters that offer little protection from wind or rain, and stupid barriers that leave insufficient space for passengers leaving the bus with luggage or wheelchairs.

I would add St. Helens to the list - far too small for the amount of traffic, and poor allocation of stops relative to destination. (For example, buses passing St. Helens Hospital depart from 4 different stops, some of which are outside the bus station.)

But for environment - Northampton. Makes Birmingham New Street seem like a pleasant paradise. Main entrance/exit from/to town centre seems to consist of a maze through the adjacent shopping centre.
exile, if you had known Southport Bus Station, which no longer exists, it wasn't very pleasant, much the same of the old Keswick Bus Station.

I quite liked Southport Lord St. Bus Station, which had previously been the CLC railway station. However, it was only served by the out of town services (mainly Ribble & successors), and the local Southport Corporation services used stops on streets in the town centre.

Statto

Established Member
As someone who uses St Helens bus station i agree it's awful & it was rebuilt not that long ago, & i'll add Birkenhead bus station in as well, far too narrow, & there's been a few accidents there as well, stand 4 can be bad with buses pulling out with a crossing after the stand, Arriva stopped using the stand after an accident a couple of years ago

WillPS

Established Member
Nottingham Broadmarsh was pretty appalling until they spent some money on it (realising the centre is *never* going to be rebuilt, perhaps!).

Ivo

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned the Old Cattle Market in Ipswich? A sorry excuse for a bus station - especially in comparison to Ipswich Buses' Tower Ramparts facility.

CumbrianJosh

Ashington bus station in northumberland has to be up there with the worst...
one half of it is miles from the other part and to get between the 2 halfs you have to walk along a narrow bit of road that the buses use... Bit of a confusing place if one wants to change buses.

ushawk

Established Member
Uckfield - Referred to on timetables as a Bus Station, but its just 3 bus stops and shelters and nothing else. Used to be a toilet there but it was closed and turned into an outpost i believe for Brighton and Hove.

ModChod

Another vote for Gloucester - it smells, and its full of tramps and druggies when the sun sets. Last time we intended to use it our train was late and we missed the bus, there was another in an hour, but we took one look at the 'clientelle' and opted for a taxi.
It is set to be demolished along with many other down trodden buildings in the area. It is well used, so hopefully they can replace it with something more welcoming.

Ivo

Established Member
Another vote for Gloucester - it smells, and its full of tramps and druggies when the sun sets. Last time we intended to use it our train was late and we missed the bus, there was another in an hour, but we took one look at the 'clientelle' and opted for a taxi.
It is set to be demolished along with many other down trodden buildings in the area. It is well used, so hopefully they can replace it with something more welcoming.

They've been saying that for years - long before I first moved to the west :roll:

Schnellzug

Established Member
I don't know if anyone has mentioned, and it may be somewhat Controversial, but the new Bath Bus Stn, while it may offer superior faciltiies for Passengers, seems to be really in the wrong place. The Exit from it is in a very silly place, halfway along a very busy road where there's nearly always traffic queueing in both Directions thanks to Councils everywhere's love of Traffic lights rather than bothering to design road layouts properly, and to get out Buses have to swing right across the road and if there's something waiting at the Lights on the other side of the road, and they've stopped a bit close to the Lights, it can often cause confusion & congestion.
Some of you might disagree with this, but Bath's new bus station is pretty hopeless. They have tried to copy Bristol, which is a good thing - without considering that local services also use it and that Bristol's bays are further apart. The new site just isn't big enough for what they have built.

Ah, i see that you did say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.